StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the longest continuous ride I've had and I'm curious what little ailments you all experience after the ride, if any.

The ride was 742 miles, 12 hours all interstate. Overall my body feels good, no aches or pains anywhere except this pressure and mild headache on the right side radiating down my right eye. Not sure if it's normal or if it's helmet related, perhaps wind buffeting over a long period. I'm running ear plugs, the Puig touring screen and an HJC i-10 lid. It's not smooth at 80mph, but not unbearable.

After a long ride like that is a mild headache normal?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I only get headaches if I haven't been keeping up on my water. I had a 630 mile freeway ride one day last week in 90 degree temps, had to stop every 100 miles or so and slam another bottle of water.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only get headaches if I haven't been keeping up on my water. I had a 630 mile freeway ride one day last week in 90 degree temps, had to stop every 100 miles or so and slam another bottle of water.
Very possible I'm dehydrated. 90 degrees stopping every tank (180 miles roughly) beef jerky, bananas and 16oz water. Did have a redbull which probably did me no favors.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I ain't no Dr Phil, but I would say; "It's normal, 12 hours of ANYTHING (including sex) will give you some headache or some body parts fatigue" 😰:)

...but helmet padding pressure points are common cause for headaches

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
When doing big days the outside of my shoulders tend to get a bit ache'y towards the end of the day just from being in a less than natural position for hours. Once I get off the bike it goes away. I also move around on the seat like an agitated 4 year old so muscles do not sit stagnant for hours.

Usually the next morning when my feet hit the floor for a few minutes I just feel the calm of no vibration. This sensation is very relaxing and unfortunately goes away very quickly then its back to the normal aches and pains.

Last week I had some big days planned and bought a new helmet. Even though I was tempted to take it I knew better and used my old helmet as it is broken in. I've made the mistake of buying a new helmet and then going on a trip and the 1st two day regretted every second it was on.

Water you need lots of water. The wind wicks away the sweat so you really do not realize how much water you are losing. I wear a mesh jacket ant this is amplified. Last Friday I drank my 64oz tumbler of water then three (3) 16oz bottles of water and was still pissing dark the next morning. There is also a thing as overhydrating. where you drink so much it flushes out your electrolytes and you'll get headache'y. Then make electrolyte powder you can add to tap water or you can find another beverage or food high in electrolytes to keep you going.

The other thing and it sound like you did it right is light snacks. A banana, granola bar or a piece or two of jerky or nuts then move on. If you eat too much about 30 minutes down the road you'll get sleepy as you body is using energy to digest the food. Small portions to keep you from getting hungry and a dose of water is the best you can do. The only other thing better would be to rig up water source so that you can sip while you ride. I don't like bladder systems as they are a PITA to clean but it is nice to sip water while you ride instead of gulp down 16 or 20 ounces then feel bloated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When doing big days the outside of my shoulders tend to get a bit ache'y towards the end of the day just from being in a less than natural position for hours. Once I get off the bike it goes away. I also move around on the seat like an agitated 4 year old so muscles do not sit stagnant for hours.

Usually the next morning when my feet hit the floor for a few minutes I just feel the calm of no vibration. This sensation is very relaxing and unfortunately goes away very quickly then its back to the normal aches and pains.

Last week I had some big days planned and bought a new helmet. Even though I was tempted to take it I knew better and used my old helmet as it is broken in. I've made the mistake of buying a new helmet and then going on a trip and the 1st two day regretted every second it was on.

Water you need lots of water. The wind wicks away the sweat so you really do not realize how much water you are losing. I wear a mesh jacket ant this is amplified. Last Friday I drank my 64oz tumbler of water then three (3) 16oz bottles of water and was still pissing dark the next morning. There is also a thing as overhydrating. where you drink so much it flushes out your electrolytes and you'll get headache'y. Then make electrolyte powder you can add to tap water or you can find another beverage or food high in electrolytes to keep you going.

The other thing and it sound like you did it right is light snacks. A banana, granola bar or a piece or two of jerky or nuts then move on. If you eat too much about 30 minutes down the road you'll get sleepy as you body is using energy to digest the food. Small portions to keep you from getting hungry and a dose of water is the best you can do. The only other thing better would be to rig up water source so that you can sip while you ride. I don't like bladder systems as they are a PITA to clean but it is nice to sip water while you ride instead of gulp down 16 or 20 ounces then feel bloated.
Great information thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Likely mild dehydration and maybe some helmet pressure from buffeting. Caffeine helps the headache. That's a long hike ....can't do those any more.

Reactions: Jjonahjamison

·
Registered
367 Posts
Magic formula, worked fantastic on my Iron Butt in July heat. Supplemented with a water bladder with hose in tank bag.

At gas/rest stops.
Drink in the order below:
Half of small Gatorade bottle
Half bottle of water to cleanse palate and hydrate
4-6 ounces of good black coffee to finish. I had a thermos for the coffee

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Magic formula, worked fantastic on my Iron Butt in July heat. Supplemented with a water bladder with hose in tank bag.

At gas/rest stops.
Drink in the order below:
Half of small Gatorade bottle
Half bottle of water to cleanse palate and hydrate
4-6 ounces of good black coffee to finish. I had a thermos for the coffee
I drink coffee all day. My grandmother would remind me occasionally about a 1928 study saying caffeine is not healthy and dehydrates you. I’m not so sure about that and a few modern studies suggest coffee is very good for you including being one of the most prominent antioxidants out there.
So I like your coffee formula, now I just need to remember how I drank it in Iraq without cream and sugar.

@Jjonahjamison it was a haul on the Vstrom 1000. I've done 700 miles on my now sold BMW RT and it was as if I stepped out of a car. The Vstrom is a great bike, but I really miss the big BMW for very long rides and honestly am looking for another.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
....So I like your coffee formula, now I just need to remember how I drank it in Iraq without cream and sugar...
No cream, no sugar is the way to go. I like my coffee the way I like my women...

...Murky and bitter...:)

Reactions: CVPilot

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I don’t think caffeine dehydrates you however it is a diuretic so it’s hard to keep the hydration in when you’re pissing it out.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I don't know if you wear earplugs or not, but noise in and of itself can be very fatiguing. I ALWAYS wear them and find that it helps a lot keeping me alert and focused. I also make it a point whenever possible to get off and walk around a bit every hour or so.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
762 Posts
Dehydration plus helmet pressure point come to mind. I am now 70 so I struggle to keep hydrated and I rarely feel thirsty so I have to be careful with hydration.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I drink coffee all day. My grandmother would remind me occasionally about a 1928 study saying caffeine is not healthy and dehydrates you. I’m not so sure about that and a few modern studies suggest coffee is very good for you including being one of the most prominent antioxidants out there.
So I like your coffee formula, now I just need to remember how I drank it in Iraq without cream and sugar.

@Jjonahjamison it was a haul on the Vstrom 1000. I've done 700 miles on my now sold BMW RT and it was as if I stepped out of a car. The Vstrom is a great bike, but I really miss the big BMW for very long rides and honestly am looking for another.
The RT is a completely different animal. The one's I have rode had wind protection only bested by 4 door car. I mean no wind and quiet enough you could hold a conversation with a pillion. In the winter these would be great but in the heat of summer I suspect they are deadly hot. Heck I prefer the GS over the GSA in the summer as the wide tank and bigger windscreen on the GSA block a lot of air.

This is also why it is great if you can swing mutiple bikes. That way there are no sacrifices. People often question me for having multiples of the same bike. While there are all the same they are set up different. Right now one of the GS's is set up to be my touring rig/grocery getter the other I'm putting 17" wheels on to sort of Motard it for a twisties bike. If this works out like I think it will I'll probably sell the Buell as it'll be a bit to redundant then look for somethgin else.

Where are you located and what RT Oil/Hex/Cam/LC are you looking for. I can keep an eye out for you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just a thought.
Cheek pieces of the helmet can put pressure on nerve.
Having done assorted Iron Butt rides on my Harleys and a fair number of 800+ mile days on my 650 vstrom it was years before I learned about this.
After going to thinner cheek pieces my problems disappeared.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a thought.
Cheek pieces of the helmet can put pressure on nerve.
Having done assorted Iron Butt rides on my Harleys and a fair number of 800+ mile days on my 650 vstrom it was years before I learned about this.
After going to thinner cheek pieces my problems disappeared.
My helmet is a tad too loose since breaking in, I've been using a baclava for a snug fit. Definitely need to have a look at getting that corrected as it sits heavy on the top of my head, with little pressure on the cheeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you just monitor your urine color you`ll know what your hydration needs are. The thirst sometimes is just a craving not always dehydration. Use to do marathon canoe racing and been there. Over hydration is also a real problem. Causes imbalance of fluid as the kidneys can`t deal with the over amount of fluids. Even though you are in the wind you aren`t exerting a lot of physical output on a roadbike. Motocross and comp. riding the exception. Surface evaporation can be controlled by proper riding gear. More skin more moisture loss. Rule always applies. Hot or cold.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very possible I'm dehydrated. 90 degrees stopping every tank (180 miles roughly) beef jerky, bananas and 16oz water. Did have a redbull which probably did me no favors.
Red Bull is the worst thing you can do to your body. As for Beef Jerky that just dehydrates you further. Just drink lots of water and minimal coffee.Cant understand why people poison their bodies with Red Bull. Is it a death wish?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts