StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearing 30,000 mile on the bike, and my rear brake pads need replacement...for the SECOND time. When I had the bike inspected the first time (after maybe 8000 miles) the mechanic said that I must use the back brake a lot, because it was worn quite a bit more than the front. I took it kinda personally, because I didn't think I favored the back over the front. I replaced the rear pads with EBC HH's somewhere around 12K miles. I swear I didn't use the back brake for the whole next year (alright...maybe a little), and now they're worn down again. My foot is usually beside the brake pedal unless I'm actually braking. The rear wheel spins freely when I lift the back end. Front's are original, and should get me through this year.

I'm about to order the "brake special" from Murph's. I'm thinking HH's for the front, but I'm undecided on what compound to get for the rear.

So, 2 things:

1. I'd like to hear from others regarding what kind of life they get out of brakes on the 650.
2. I'd also like input on what compound to get for the rear.

Much appreciated.

· Registered
493 Posts
I replaced my OEM pads on my 2007 with about 32,000 km on them. They still had about 20% left. I changed them because I was heading out on an 8,400 km trip. They probably would have lasted (just) the trip though. I use the back brake a lot (dirt roads, trail braking, etc.). It sounds like you have an issue - either mechanical or operator.

G

·
I replaced the factory pads at 24,000 kms. They were on the skinny side but not metal to metal.
99% of my riding was city stop and go stuff.... mostly stop and hardly any go.
I could rant about how many red lights there are in the Vancouver area but I have to watch my blood pressure.....

· Registered
526 Posts
That sounds quicker then normal.

I may be on the other end of the spectrum, but my experience has been a little different. I'm still on my stock OEM pads F&B with almost 42k miles.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
I put EBC Organic rears on the bike today. It is a 2007 Wee with 8000 miles. The old pads had about 20% of the pad left, but I replaced anyway as I hope to not have to replace again until my next rear tire change. My front pads have about 70% left right now so I didn't change them. When I brake, I use both front and rear brakes. I bought this bike from my son with 4000 miles on it. I think he probably used the rear more than the front. He denies it but the pads tell a different story. That is unless Suzuki put organics on the back from the factory. The organics wear out faster than the HH's do (at least that has been my experience) so if they did put organics on the back that would explain the fast wear (8000 miles) on the back. I choose the organics over the HH sintered for the back as they seem to not bite as bad as the sintered and I don't want to lock the back break when braking. Besides, they only cost $32 and I don't mind paying that much for new pads with each tire change. The new rear brakes feel as smooth as silk and work just fine. I like them.

I will continue to use EBC HH sintered pads on the front.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
KOG, it would be interesting if you first adjusted your rear brake light switch to be sure it comes on just when the brakes begin touching the disc, and second jury rig a light from the rear brake circuit to your dash. You might be riding the brake pedal without knowing it. Your brake wear is unusual.

· Registered
12,475 Posts
with the engine braking of the strom, the only time I use the brakes almost is the last few few before a stop, I use the rear brake more at low speeds for manuvering

its really not uncommon to wear the rear pads quicker than front

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts
What you describe is pretty much my experience. I am on the third set at 40k miles. Probably most of my braking, though, is slow-speed, parking lot kind of stuff, which is all rear brake.

· Registered
49 Posts
I just put my third set in at 29900miles.
Stock to around 20000 , then ebc, not hh, which were worn to nothing within that 9000 miles, front and rear.
I use the rear a lot when my wife is on the back and the bike is loaded, but I was a bit surprised at the wear. Calipers fine, pistons clean and push in with thumb pressure.
Not the end of the world though, but i might try different pads next time, I've gone with the same ebc again, so I'll know soon enough.

Glad it's not just me :)

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts
I just checked my records. Bought the bike with 10k. Shop installed pads (probably OEM) at 16k. Rear down to the rotor at 29k. Replaced with EBC HH. Still running at 40k, but maybe looking a wee bit thin.

· Banned
1,589 Posts
On the front, I changed from the stock brake pad to EBC HH at 7,801mi. I left the organics on the rear. What you see below is where I calculated the miles/mm of the EBCHH fronts and organic rear. The measurements were taken with a digital caliper at approximately 16,557mi. Based on what pad thickness was left(minus the metal base plate, of course), I calculated the odometer reading at which the pads would be worn out:

Front Right, Inner and outer Pads(EBC FA231HH)
EBC HH – Expected Brake Pad Life: 30,495.6mi(38,296.6mi Odometer Reading)
(7,092mi/mm * 4.3mm/pad)
Front Inner Left(EBC FA229HH)
EBC HH – Expected Brake Pad Life: 26,844.72mi(34,646mi Odometer Reading)
(6,242.96mi/mm * 4.3mm/pad)
Front Outer Left(EBC FA229HH)
EBC HH – Expected Brake Pad Life: 22,162mi(29,963mi** Odometer Reading)
(5,154mi/mm * 4.3mm/pad)

Organic Rear Expected Brake Pad Life: 31,846mi (31,846mi Odometer Reading)
(5,307.64mi/mm * 6.0mm/pad)

** - Next ones to wear out

Note that the not all of the front pads wear evenly. I have heard this same observation from other riders and believe this is normal, but not sure why. My riding conditions are mostly city, with some 1-3mi runs on the bypass until I hit another traffic light, so lots of starts and stopping. As for riding style, I use my gears to slow down and my brakes to stop, more or less.

Also note that the EBC HH sintered pads do appear to be wearing the front rotors some, but I am not sure if continued use of these pads will eventually wear the rotors out. Either way I would not put the organic pads back on the front due to the sticky, vibrating stops that occured with them in hot conditions. The rear rotor where the organics are still being used look like new, and do not cause any 'sticky stopping'.

· Registered
178 Posts
Sticky stopping sounds like caliper issues - not brake pads.

My speedo was broken until recently but I've used EBC HH on my rear brakes with great success since about 6ooo miles. I use the rear pedal more than the front on slow speed riding to keep the chassis stabilized. Still on first set with around 6-8,000 miles on them.

I'm fairly easy on my brakes so don't expect to wear out the rotors anytime soon - worth it to use the HH pads, I think.

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Sticky stopping sounds like caliper issues - not brake pads.

Changing to EBC HH pads up front corrected the problem.

Many think, as I do, that the stock pads up front are crap.

I'll bet if more riders carefully measured and calculated the brake wear on their front brakes they would find simiilar wear patterns.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/21650-uneven-front-pad-wear.html

I thought I cleaned, examined, and lubricated all the pins pretty well for binding. I may end up replacing the right side pins just to ensure I have not missed anything.

· Registered
178 Posts
Changing to EBC HH pads up front corrected the problem.

Many think, as I do, that the stock pads up front are crap.
I agree the stock pads are pretty ineffective (read: dangerous!). I changed mine out to EBC HH's front and rear almost immediately just to feel safe on the road!

They don't seem to be wearing the rotor all that much either. Has anybody had to change theirs out after using HH pads?

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I would not sweat the small stuff, if there is no drag on the brake when on the center stand...who gives a shit, its normal wear, if you are content with your riding ability and have no issues with your stopping habits, be happy your front ones are lasting so long.

half full, half empty...which is it? (No the answer is not: "the glass is twice as big as it needs to be"!)

· Registered
463 Posts
Brake grab

I don't know how to find the most recent rear brake pad thread, Greywolf. I changed rear pads, torqued 12 & 14 mm bolts to spec and the rod. I used the open the bleeder method when clamping the piston because I knew the reseviour was too full from when I R&R the brake fluid. When I start out, the rear brake grabbed some but only in one place. I wasn't sure about whether I got the pads up into the caliper in the front but they look fine at the rear. I stopped and checked and the rotor was not hot. I went on a 15 mile test run, gently using rear brake and the condition disappeared. Is there a reason I should take the thing apart again or is the above normal as long as it is very temporary??

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
It's not unusual for brake pads to behave abnormally until they bed in. It sounds like you're fine.

· Registered
39 Posts
I believe this has been mentioned above.
My friend with an almost identical 2008 Wee (to myself) has replaced his rear pads 3 times in about 45,000 miles.
I have a little over 47,000 on my 2008 and i am still on the stock, original pads. My pads still have life left in them as they are a few mm away from the groove cut down the middle of the pad. I also rarely ever use the rear brake because of the engine braking as others have stated.

My friend was able to determine that the caliper was freezing up against the rotor and dragging while the brake was not applied. This was due to dirt and fine road debris getting into the caliper mounts where it is allowed to move in relation to the rotor. We did a test on the center stand and this was the case. We would reset the caliper and it would not rub. When he applied the rear brake firmly, the piston would retract, but the caliper would keep one of the pads against the rotor. He would have to disassemble the connection points and give it a good cleaning and lube to make it stop. Having a bar rear slave cylinder may also contribute to the pad not retracting properly.

Im not sure if this is what your are experiencing since I know this seems ot only happen to certain bikes. I hope you resolve the problem, since I know it has frustrated my friend even since he changed the first set of rear pads.

· Registered
108 Posts
Rear brake wear

I just took my K7 in for new tires and had the rear pads replaced at 35,600. I was told I had about 40% left on the front pads. I found it strange to change the rear before the front so I am happy to see it's not just my bike. The rear brake typically lasts much longer than the front on my previous bikes. Whatever, I love this bike and I knock down about 15,000/year on it without problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.