Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 300 mile ride on this well known Hwy from Red Bluff to Fortuna (see "curves next 144 miles" sign in my avatar). There is construction on this stretch so I thought I'd give an update. The area under reconstruction is only about 3 miles long and is just west of Dinsmore. The road is closed Mon - Thurs from 7am to 5pm except they open it from noon to 1. Fridays are simiar - closed 7am to 3pm, open one hour at noon. However, it is open on weekends! There is one light for a short single lane stretch that only keeps you for a few minutes. It's the worst part of 36 that had 1.5 lanes and no center line that they are working on. So, if you take this amazing road on the weekends, you are good to go. And because of the construction, traffic is pretty much non-existent. Do yourself a favor and try this road sometime.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
One of the best roads in California. Curvy, fast sweepers, twisty, technical, mountain side 1 1/2 lane challenges, no to little traffic and no to little law enforcement. And it goes on forever. Pure fun.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I rode it once, bike loaded on a tour. If the 1.5 lane section is what I remember, it seemed so tight on some of the curves that I thought I was ascending someone's gnarly mountain driveway! It felt like a really old country road, not something with a state highway designation. I can surely see why they'd redo that section.

·
Registered
32 Posts
from cal trans site as of today. looks like only close for 4 hrs per day if I can understand Catransian language.
SR 36
[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 12 MI EAST OF BRIDGEVILLE TO 16.4 MI EAST OF BRIDGEVILLE
/AT BUCK MOUNTAIN RD/ (HUMBOLDT CO) FROM 1300 HRS TO 1700 HRS MONDAY THRU
FRIDAY THRU 10/31/18 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 12 MI EAST OF
BRIDGEVILLE TO 16.4 MI EAST OF BRIDGEVILLE /AT BUCK MOUNTAIN RD/ (HUMBOLDT CO)
FROM 0600 HRS TO 1300 HRS & FROM 1700 HRS EACH NIGHT TO 0600 HRS EACH MORNING
7 DAYS A WEEK THRU 10/31/18 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's the worst part of 36 that had 1.5 lanes and no center line that they are working on.
Whoa there, Pardner! That section west of Dinsmore with 1.5 lanes and no yellow line is the BEST part. I guess somebody could see it otherwise, especially a Winnebago pilot or a trucker, but I found it a treat.

It felt like a really old country road, not something with a state highway designation.
CA state route 4 has about 15 miles or so of single lane, no center line. NV route 34 has been ceded to the county in the 90s, but it was still gravel for about 40 to 50 miles (and still is today, although no longer an official state route). It`s a lot wider than the skinny parts of CA 4 and CA 36, though!

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Sounds like the last 12 miles of Glendora Mnt Road. Great pavement but too narrow to qualify for conventional striping.
Or the 17 miles of dirt rd running to Pozo in central Cal. But the dirt was plenty wide.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Whoa there, Pardner! That section west of Dinsmore with 1.5 lanes and no yellow line is the BEST part. I guess somebody could see it otherwise, especially a Winnebago pilot or a trucker, but I found it a treat.

CA state route 4 has about 15 miles or so of single lane, no center line. NV route 34 has been ceded to the county in the 90s, but it was still gravel for about 40 to 50 miles (and still is today, although no longer an official state route). It`s a lot wider than the skinny parts of CA 4 and CA 36, though!
I looked and I realized I was describing 299, although I came back on 36.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Or the 17 miles of dirt rd running to Pozo in central Cal. But the dirt was plenty wide.
Now that you`ve got me thinking about wide dirt...
The widest unpaved road I know of is from Winnemucca NV to the mines at Sulfur, at least as wide as most two lane highways, maybe more. I had driven it before and not really noticed, but when I rode it on a bicycle I sure was happy to have all that width whenever an oversized tractor-trailer whizzed by hauling giant mining equipment. I have to say that single lane pavement brings greater joy than superwide dirt, but both are interesting in their own way.

I looked and I realized I was describing 299, although I came back on 36.
Maybe, but your description did sound a lot like 36. 299 is a lot wider and no hairpin curves, at least on the part that I`m familiar with.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Maybe, but your description did sound a lot like 36. 299 is a lot wider and no hairpin curves, at least on the part that I`m familiar with.
It was 299. I rode from the 101 to just past Weaverville, turned right on 3 and came back to the 101 on 36. My faint recollection was that 36 was wider and a more improved road than 299 and 3. That was summer 2011.

Edit. Yes, it had to be 36. I looked on Google maps and saw the tight section on 36, per the first post. I could have sworn it was 299 and I was heading east, but it was 7 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
I have ridden 36 at least a couple times. one of the best for sure. I have driven it in a u-haul rental too when my k75s broke down there years ago. if you're out that way https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Coast is worth a look too. Pavement is rough the last time I was there but it is 35 or so miles of undeveloped coastline (BLM so public). Nice campground on the coast at the Mattole River.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts