StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, am new to the forum, ride a DL650 (gracie). Am looking for some advice on lowing kits, after having her for 7mths and 10,000km have decided to lower her, any info gladly taken.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome along, fairly new here myself. Love the town you live in BTW, my sister used to live there & work @ the sanctuary many years ago.
There are numerous lowering link kits available on Ebay which are just different length dog bones for the rear suspension.
HTH
Cheers brian

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Welcome aboard Nutty, you'll get a wealth of info on this forum. There is always someone who knows something, and then there are some who know the lot :yikes:.
Congrats on the bike and hope you have many happy miles on Gracie the motorbike ( also the name of one of my grand daughters)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Nut House Nutty [you should fit right in :fineprint: ]

I used to live at Wandin North years ago, some great riding areas down your way :thumbup:

I'm looking at lifting my Wee and found these links interesting as they are adjustable up and down and there are sets for various raising and lowering options as well.
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom Lowering Links, DL650 Lowering Kit, DL650 Lowering Link, DL650 Adjustable Kickstand

I will be placing an order as soon as I sort out how to lift the front to match [wanting to go up 1" to 2" under the centre of the bike if I can].

There is also an adjustable kick stand which may be worth the added cost [take the original off and keep it in case you want to revert to stock at any point].
The centre and side stand are overlooked by many- until the bike falls on its right side because the bike stands up to straight, or can't be got up on the centre stand to fix that flat tyre- when the suspension is lowered :jawdrop:

You will get lots of feedback from this forum.

There are also a lot of local Strommers near you and you won't have trouble getting along on rides with a group. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Welcome aboard, you have found the right place for anything Strom related, including riding companions.
A few years ago I raised the rear 11mm by adding or subtracting ( forgotten which way at the moment ) 18mm to the dogbones. Needless as it turned out ( for an outback trip back of Broken Hill )
They were made up by a small local shop who does stainless steel work. $35 Make them yourself if your handy or any small welding/engineering shop might do them for you, it's a simple job.

Ride safe
S.5

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Hi all, am new to the forum, ride a DL650 (gracie). Am looking for some advice on lowing kits, after having her for 7mths and 10,000km have decided to lower her, any info gladly taken.
If you have been riding the biked for 7 months and 10,000km it can't be that unsuitable for you so rather than lowering the bike which introduces all sorts of issues with stands and clearances why not get the seat reshaped.
The main problem with the Strom is not the height but the fact that the seat is so wide between the riders thighs at standstill. Find a decent motorcycle seat upholsterer and have a word with them not only will height issue be resolved but your butt will probably thank you as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the welcome. I have resisted lowering gracie but in the last couple of weeks she has fallen asleep in the car park a couple of times:yikes:. In the car parks and at low speeds I find it hard to park and manouvre. I put a sheep skin on the seat as well which raised her as well. I'm worried that I might get into a place that nobody will be there to help me, (have picked her up myself once but just about killed me). Look forward to more back chat.:yesnod:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hello & welcome,

+1 on the seat lowering/reshaping option, one short term lowering method is to cut down the rubber stops under the stock seat for a small gain, not something I have done but it may help until a better seat option can be found. (or higher heels on your boots)

ML

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Seven posts to get off topic. That's what shits me about this forum.
Yeah, and eight posts sees you jumping on someone :thumbdown:

That's what- occasionally- shits me about this forum......but hey, I just let it slide without comment most of the time. :fineprint:

Sometimes a little banter and camaraderie among members shows newbies we are a friendly and approachable bunch of people on this forum.

And we are all human after all [well I almost am :yesnod:]

I noticed the anomaly with Saturn 5's post- most unlike him, so thought I'd "buck him up" with a little light hearted comment :biggrinjester:

Ok.....now's your chance to ping me for using too many emoticons. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
In line with Kiwi's excellent suggestion and FS posting the link, I can vouch personally for ****'s [MJM] work.

I have had two MJM seats on previous bikes and the Wee will get one in due course as well.

Plenty of other members here have had MJM do their seats as well [someone may even let you try one on a ride by doing a seat swap with you for a short while, you will have to shout them a beer or coffee though :fineprint:].

On my previous BMW R1150GS the Mrs. and I went to Goulburn for the weekend, then went to **** early on the Monday morning.
He got us both up on the bike, discussed what we wanted in the way of comfort-seating position-how high the Mrs. wanted to be so she could see past/over me while still feeling stable on the seat.
He also offered suggestions on how to stop the "nut crushing" effect the BMW seat has on many male riders, as well as offering a huge range of covering materials, trims, patterns and custom stitching.

I don't say he can do a seat this quick for everyone but.........we rode home to Sydney on the new seat the same night. :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have checked out the seat idea but I really like my seat, fits the bum well, so I am going with the lowering links. I ordered them over the net this morning maybe by the weekend I will have them in my hot little hands.I'm sure Mr nuttytart will be able to fit them for me, he's no knuckle head. Thanks guys.:thumbup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have checked out the seat idea but I really like my seat, fits the bum well, so I am going with the lowering links. I ordered them over the net this morning maybe by the weekend I will have them in my hot little hands.I'm sure Mr nuttytart will be able to fit them for me, he's no knuckle head. Thanks guys.:thumbup:
The last lowered Strom I saw had the front lowered as well by sliding the front forks up thu the triple clamps about 10mm. Maybe shorten your sidestand too. Good luck & please post a pic when finished. ML

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi Nutty and Welcome.
I like Okerstroms idea of the adjustable lowering link.
I purchased a set off ebay (uk, I think) and after I got them fitted, turned out they were the same as the originals!
Luckily, my Suzuki dealer had in stock one that had 3 options (raised,stock and lowered) whick is working fine for me. She sits up a little bit straighter, but so far the side stand hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks suzuki girl, I have ordered mine from the ebay uk too. mr nuttytart is going to lower the forks as well (he's a good man). will post a few pick when done.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi there Nuttytart,
First up, a hearty welcome to the site, you will find lots of great stuff here for you.

Now for the shortening stuff. I am 5'6" and on my K7 Wee, I found it just a bit too tall for comfort and confidence, esp in the low speed stuff.

So.....

a) Put a pair of 1" lowering dog bones on it - about an hour and 1x cup of coffee for Ms/Mr NT if you are happy little fettlers,

b) Put the front forks up about 10 mm. Tried it with a bit more, but it became to "squirrely" at low speed for my liking, esp. when coming to a standstill. This due to changes the raising of the forks caused in the steering geometry.

c) But the icing on the cake was shelling out for a lowered seat refurb by **** at MJM in Goulburn. Money very well spent IMHO and it has turned it into a full tank of fuel (>450 kays in comfort) kinda seat now.

I would not go much more than 1" on the lowering dog bones tho', esp. if you are going off road or packing Gracie to the hilt with luggage.

I am now very happy with it and for me it continues to be the best two wheeler I have ever had and grows on me more every time I ride it.

Keep us posted on what you decide and looking fwd to the pics

Cheers...herdygerdy

·
Registered
888 Posts
thanks suzuki girl, I have ordered mine from the ebay uk too. mr nuttytart is going to lower the forks as well (he's a good man). will post a few pick when done.
Don't forget to post a pic of your bike too!:thumbup:
Good on you, I would have gone with the lowering option as well I think as I like the seat!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
G'day Nuttytart I reckon the lowering links idea is the go as I fitted these and lowered the forks to my '03 Vee and now I'm not on tip toes on the thing it makes slow riding in car parks etc no prob and lowers the centre of gravity thus improving the bikes handling. I just have to watch the clearance off road a bit more but never stopped the bike at all just have remember it's not an enduro machine. Have you guys tried the newly opened bike themed cafe in Healesville and if not maybe a little coffee/ride up the spur day could be organised.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts