StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob... So new I haven't even gotten my Strom yet... But I'm about to trade a 650GS Dakar for a 2002 DL1000 (salvage title) and couldn't be happier...

Loved my Dakar on dirt roads and fire trails, but really needed more for my 75 mph commute on the interstate...

I've never been afraid of a salvage title, as long as I know what to expect...
and it seems like this one is sorted out...

So what can you all tell me about the fire road worthiness of the 1000? I've read a lot, and it all seems pretty good. But I'd really be interested in your firsthand experiences... And rest assured, once I get her, I'll test her out and report back...

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a DL650 and went to the Vee (the 650 was great on those roads, but for me, lacking on the slab).

First thing I found out on service roads with the Vee was to change the gearing; I went to 17/45 (normal 17/41?). That helped the low speed torque/RPM combo immensely. Needed to correct the speedo, but that was easy with a DRD speed healer (plugs into speed sensor wiring; speed sensor is at countersprocket on the Vee).

I find that the Vee is fine on service/gravel roads, a little disappointing on fording streams (find out quick it's a heavy bike that wants to swim), and only so-so on Ridgerunner's driveway (you had to be there).

Congrats on the new ride! It begs to be thrashed (but not trashed), keep the hill jumps for something else.

BTW...how'd you like the Dakar??

·
Registered
969 Posts
Fyrman has a nice video on some fire roads and dirt paths riding his Vee. Look for the "new bike -new noise" post ahead of this one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I traded my F650 for a 06 DL1000 at the beginning of the summer. It is nowhere near as capable off road as the GS. It's not only heavier, but it carries it's weight very high. The throttle is sensitive at low speeds and that my cause a problem. donstrom6 is right about a gear change. While I haven't dropped the DL, I dropped the GS alot in the woods with nothing more than a few scratches. Looking at the DL, I don't think a drop in the woods would so insignificant. This means the slow technical stuff is out. All that being said, as long as you stay on the fire roads you'll be fine. None of the DL's drawbacks will affect you on a well maintained fire road.

Now that I said all that, someone will probably post a video of a DL1000 dancing down some hairy goat trail at full speed like it was I-40 just to prove me wrong, but I'm not that good of a rider and neither are most people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That video reafirms my decision to go with the DL1000.... The bike is more capable than I am.... I can't wait to get out on the fire trails. Hopefully, I can time it so there is no mud till I become better aquainted with her :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
That video reafirms my decision to go with the DL1000.... The bike is more capable than I am.... I can't wait to get out on the fire trails. Hopefully, I can time it so there is no mud till I become better aquainted with her :)
I can "thumbs up" that one, too! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts