StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just wanted to say 'V' to all the locals,
I am a new rider at 32 and I just purchased a new DL650k8 Blue today with Givi engine guard, oem heated grips/hand guard, center stand, Givi V35 side bags/45L trunk. They are storing it for me to march, so hope to see you all out there in the new riding season

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to the club. There's a few of us Stromtroopers in the area. Sorry to hear you won't be on the road until Spring, but I hope to see you around then.

Doug

K6 Blue DL650

·
Registered
636 Posts
Welcome to the board. Maybe I'll see you out and bout if you ride up the Barrie way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Waiting til spring????

welcome to v stroms, you are gonna love the bike! I don't understand spring, I thought we had 2 seasons up here, winter and construction! My wife (love that woman) already gave me the green light to store my flat black k8 in the living room this winter. So.... I am going to see how far I can extend my season. It would drive me nuts to have a bike in Sept. and not be riding it til this spring you talk of.;)
Good luck and God bless

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Welcome to the board. You'll have to come up to the Barrie area and join us on one of our rides.

Actually, we're planning one for sometime in September, get that thing on the road. You've already got heated grips and everything. Depending on this fall you should be able to ride into December.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Welcome aboard . You've got a great bike and forum to share/learn.

I'm sure you'll be antsy wating until spring. Many years ago I bought a 76 GS750 late in fall (snow on ground) and not wanting to start the insurance to the spring just stored it at my parents place. Early Dec, late in cold dry afternoon , took it for a spin around the village and some nearby country roads and came back for supper - parking bike in garage with door up.

Knock on door at supper and was greeted by Constable A.T. McLean, our village police officer telling me what a nice bike it was, he wouldn't mind taking for a little spin sometime and that if I got caught outside the village limits by the OPP, he probably couldn't talk them out of charging me for no plates / insurance, even for a 10 minute spin in the country.!;)

Safe rides

Bob

·
Administrator
13,738 Posts
Welcome!

Can I ask why you are storing the bike instead of riding it? There has to be a good two to three months of riding, and likely close to four months before snow starts messing things up.

..Tom

·
Registered
816 Posts
I wouldn't be able to wait that long either . Best time of the year for riding is coming up, in my opinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My thoughts as well. cold ride to work in morning, hot coffee tastes even better when you get there,leaves changing color, kodak moment after kodak moment, and getting familiarized with your new ride before any epic summer tours. Plus all the chrome is put away for the winter, except biker steve, he has 43000k on his 07 softail. Good guy to ride with... wants to go to mexico by way of daytona this january from Saskatchewan, should be -30 when he leaves. Last time he went across Canada he did it in 2 days... rode 20 hours, slept 8 and rode 20 more hours put him downtown Halifax and a little tired. I seem to be rambling, just saying whenever you get a new bike is a good time to ride:).
Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI guys thanks for all the posts I hope I can ride with all you soon, you really all seem like a great bunch of guys,
the answer that everyone asking is why now now> well because a a new M licence driver the insurance is well NUTS, and it just made for sense money wise to start in the spring, when I will have the bike payed off :) and I did not want to pay for a year insurance when I am only driving a few months. And yes this is my first bike. and Yes trust me will be going Stir crazy for 6 months, it has started :willy_nilly: , lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
HI guys thanks for all the posts I hope I can ride with all you soon, you really all seem like a great bunch of guys,
the answer that everyone asking is why now now> well because a a new M licence driver the insurance is well NUTS, and it just made for sense money wise to start in the spring, when I will have the bike payed off :) and I did not want to pay for a year insurance when I am only driving a few months. And yes this is my first bike. and Yes trust me will be going Stir crazy for 6 months, it has started :willy_nilly: , lol
I was in the same position you are in now a year ago. I was a new rider and bought my bike late in the season(late if it has chrome that is:rolleyes:) Unless the bike is financed, you can drop collision on your policy. It saves you about 50%. My first quote from my ins. co. was $2150 per year!! After showing them on-line quotes from riders plus and primmus and dropping the collision, they found Jevco ins. would insure me for $890 per year. That was as a M1 rider. Since then I have taken the gearing up course at Fanshawe and moved up to M2. Just renewed the insurance on the bike last week at $620. Don't give up just yet!! I rode into Nov. last year and made it out at least once a month in the winter. Good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Most companies will pro-rate the insurance; you don't need to pay for the full year.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Couple of good points here...I'd just like to clarify - subject to each individual insurer - companies prorate the premium across a number of months, 6-8 is normal, you get 12 months coverage but they withdraw the premium in 6, up front installments. This is done to avoid having the insured cancel the policy for the winter months-like most of us used to do. Cancel it if you will - you usually ended up paying most of it anyway.

I don't work in Insurance, but have close friends who do and got this from them. Being able to drop part of coverage while in storage appears to be a particular company thing, usually something that agents will do for lonter term customers, or those that have a number of policies with the insurer. As always, there are exceptions but I'm told this is also the general rule.

As V-Tom said , there's a lot of fun left in the season and I'm counting on it.

Safe Rides

Bob

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Must be losing it.....Sturgeon is correct - most companies have fixed terms (start and finish for various policies and policy-holder groups). Might be worthwhile to check around and see what the prorated term/amount is. In my case - THE PERSONAL - policy runs July-June (if your a pensioner and Dec-Nov if you're a group rate member.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Couple of good points here...I'd just like to clarify - subject to each individual insurer - companies prorate the premium across a number of months, 6-8 is normal, you get 12 months coverage but they withdraw the premium in 6, up front installments. This is done to avoid having the insured cancel the policy for the winter months-like most of us used to do. Cancel it if you will - you usually ended up paying most of it anyway.

I canceled a policy with Primmum, to switch to Meloche-Monnex. Because of the way they prorated my policy, I had to pay them a hundred-odd bucks to cancel it. Sneaky buggers!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Must be losing it.....Sturgeon is correct - most companies have fixed terms (start and finish for various policies and policy-holder groups). Might be worthwhile to check around and see what the prorated term/amount is. In my case - THE PERSONAL - policy runs July-June (if your a pensioner and Dec-Nov if you're a group rate member.

Bob
Yabbut - I was talking about starting a policy mid-year, not cancelling before end of year. I've done the former a few times, always got charged for a partial year's coverage. They wised up many years ago to people cancelling in the fall, getting a refund and renewing in spring. My current policy started (a couple of years ago) in July, and I only paid for a partial 'year' that first season. In subsequent years I've paid monthly premiums from (not sure of exact months) Apr to Oct, but am covered year-round. Mine is with TD (which is really Primmum).

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Sturgeon-you're correct - hence my second post to clarify. Dependent on time of year, and when the insurers policy "term" runs, might get some decent pro-rated rates till end of term. I didn't make that clear in my first post. My insurer, The Personal - would charge you until Nov term expiry since they run Dec-Nov on all their policies.

In any event - a great bike and I'm taking mine out now for a spin.

Safe rides.

Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
I remember it was 2 months before I got my Strom, no matter the reason, it's hard. Once I got my hands on my bike, the flood gates opened to what was to be. Three years later, every time I take out my bike I realize what a great investment I made. I hope it's the same for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts