StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I im very interested in getting a V-STROM. I have a friend who has a 650 and he let me ride is a little. Very easy to ride. I was looking at a Kawasaki KLR 650, but they seem to have a few issues. I will be doing 90% street riding with the occasional ride with my son on dirt roads, no serious off road stuff. Deciding on 650 or 1000. I have this weird OCD thing with bikes having one exhaust pipe, seems not symetrical to me. (i know weird). I am 41 years old and 5' 9" 200 lb. I just think the 1000 would suit me better. Can I get some real advice on these bikes? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
this weird OCD thing with bikes having one exhaust pipe, seems not symetrical to me.
You are half right. The single exhaust on the right side is the correct thing for the northern hemisphere, but due to the Coriolis effect it must be moved to the left side for best performance in the southern hemisphere. Dual exhausts are a pathetic attempt to cheaply handle this problem, but they don't really work.

Seriously, the 650 is the better bike in several respects unless you need to ride heavily laden up steep roads at 70+ mph--heavy means with 300# or more on board. I'm 200# plus everything, and ride up 6% highway grades at an indicated 80 mph never hitting wide open throttle. The 650 has the more responsive engine and more nimble handling, smoother running engine out-of-the-box, and better gas mileage.

You might benefit from lowering links and cutting the seat down. Then, you will really, really like your 650 strom.

·
Registered
60 Posts
650 V-Strom vs KLR

I have had two KLRs an put a lot of miles on them,all trouble free, they do everthing but not always good. Dirt roads are fine but any thing harder are a hand full.I have a 1000 V-Strom and I sometimes take it on dirt roads its OK but a hand full, less HP normally means better handling. You have to decide what type of riding you want to do. Don;t know your skill level, but you have to be carefull not to get in over your head.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Opinions are like....well, you know.

You should try asking a question for which there is an objective, definitive answer such as: chocolate or vanilla? Ginger or Maryann? Yanks or Sawx?

But FWIW, I'm about 200# and my wife 120# or so, and we toodle around happily with her behind me on the Wee. I have owned bigger and faster bikes but this one suits me better than any of them.

The wife still misses the Goldwing, though. It was that throne-like passenger seat....

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
We've had both the 650 and 1000 in our garage at the same time, my wife on the little wee, me with the Vee. I weigh about 200 lbs, stretched out to 6'2". When my wife decided to sell her's, I considered keeping it (the 650), and selling the bigger DL1000. A test ride over to the coast, up Hwy 101, and home on the freeway convinced me, again, that I would miss the power and pull of the bigger motor. My Vee never had the hesitation, or stumble some people complain about, it always ran well, pulled hard, and prompted many, many smiles behind the visor coming out of corners, or accelerating hard, fully loaded to get around an RV or slowpoke on the road. The Wee is a capable bike, even ridden loaded and two up it can manage OK, but the Vee can be much more exciting, and under most any circumstances has enough power to be lots and lots of fun. If initial purchase cost, gas mileage, etc is of upmost importance, then you might also consider the wee, those guys put around at like 55 mpg or something, so that saves 'em a little cash too. Some of them put "tool tubes" on the empty side to kind of balance out the look from behind. They are both real nice bikes, ride em both, then buy a VEE.

·
Registered
79 Posts

When I was trying to make the same decision I was worried about not having enough power with a 650. Wow, was I wrong. Riding 2-up over the mountain passes with 3 days of camping gear I had plenty of power. Even though I came from a larger bike (1200cc Buell Ulysses) The Wee-Strom is a MUCH better bike in every way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am not an experts on motorcycles but after owning and riding them on and off road for nearly fifty years ( !! ) I have learned a few things. I have owned my share including a KLR 650 and a DL650 WeeStrom. I currently have a Triumph Tiger 1050 (Mr. Power) and my DL 650 Wee. So, I have my pick of power or more power.

Even with owning the liter bike I still love my Wee. The 650 has plenty of motor, even with the wife on the back. The Wee is great for dirt roads, I know, we got them and ride them on it. The DL 1000 has more motor but if you ride them both you may be surprised. The 650 or 1000 discussion is endless and there is no "right" answer. BUT, if you stand back and look at all that has been written and all the comparison tests, etc. the 650 Wee is the one that most often gets the nod.

The other number that makes the point is how many of each model Suzuki sells. The 1000 came out first. Then they brought out the 650 and if you look at the numbers the 650 outsells the 1000 by a mile. There is a reason and its not all about the price.

For the riding you mention doing I would have to pick the Wee. Been there, done that, got two bikes in the garage and love them both for what they are. For me a 1,000 cc engine in a twin configuration is not a good match. Too much vibration for me. I like them smooth.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
OCD issues?
Ocular Canister Disorder?

Is performance proportional to the number of exhaust outlets?
V8 or V12 car makers seem to love having two (or four) exhausts showing to the rear of the car.

This is vitally important, to show the world that such a sporty car is not a mere turbocharged "six" ~ however powerful or searingly accelerative.
And on a two-ton car, who cares about an extra 50 lb of muffler canisters?

Not quite the same on a motorbike.
Less is More (more acceleration).

Embrace your inner asymmetric self.
Get the Wee ~ or buy the Vee and convert the plumbing into a single exhaust canister.
Resist your cultural pressures toward Obese Canister Display.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
This thread is great evidence of "You like what you have". Not many go from a 650 Wee to a V and Visa Versa.

On my V i like the hydraulic clutch, and the OD overdrive indicator on the speedo. You get neither of these on the Wee.

The bike is much stronger, faster, more fun in all aspects. It is a bit more of a beast to control, meaning it isn't a bike for someone just starting out, but it sure is a great bike.

Comparing a Wee sitting next to a V, the Wee just looks small and thin, and it's performance matches. While a great bike in terms of gas mileage, it is lacking in power when compared to the V. The V just looks capable.

I am not knocking the Wee, its a great fun bike as well. Just pointing out the differences.

If your just starting out, or you are concerned about gas mileage, get the Wee. If you want a bike you can grow into, something that scares the siht out of you on occasion, and something that makes you grin ear to ear on every ride, get a V.. if you can control it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I went around and around on this as well. Even the symmetry of the exhaust was a factor. The hardest part was my previous bike was a 1200 so cutting cc's in half didn't sit well. But after all my reading and research I now have a wee and couldn't be happier! It's a great bike and it's fun having a "slow" bike that I can ride fast rather than a fast bike I would be riding slow.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Most people prefer the 650 including myself. Some love the 1000. There are extensive pro/cons threads on the site, read them over. And then buy the 650.
+1 :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Hey everyone. I im very interested in getting a V-STROM. I have a friend who has a 650 and he let me ride is a little. Very easy to ride. I was looking at a Kawasaki KLR 650, but they seem to have a few issues. I will be doing 90% street riding with the occasional ride with my son on dirt roads, no serious off road stuff. Deciding on 650 or 1000. I have this weird OCD thing with bikes having one exhaust pipe, seems not symetrical to me. (i know weird). I am 41 years old and 5' 9" 200 lb. I just think the 1000 would suit me better. Can I get some real advice on these bikes? Thanks in advance!!
You can't see it when you ride it.

Also, you'll find the front and rear cylinder out of alignment in the center axis plane.

Either could work for you, you really should try and get a ride on both and see how they feel.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You could put a tool tube on the other side, it helps with the symmetry thing...

TwistedThrottle.com : Twisted Throttle Tool Tube w/ Mounting Kit - DJA.67670.100

I like it, personally. I don't even have OCD that requires symmetry... just happened to be on the bike when I bought it.

If you haven't got a lot of experience, I would say the Wee is PLENTY of bike, won't get you bored, and even that is a stretch for starting out. It's the first bike I've owned, and it feels bigger than the spec sheet would indicate. Heavy enough for a starter, and if I weren't pretty tall, and a reasonably big dude I could see even the Wee being a bit more bike than would be a wise starter.

What's your background like? What have you owned/ridden before, and how long have you been at it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
First a disclaimer.
I own a VEE Strom.

However, once I decided on a Strom of one form or another I took some stock of the riding I was planning to do- mostly on road, commuting on the highway, some curvy roads.
Both versions are dependable, comfortable, and competent.
For me spending a lot of time at highway speeds, I feel more comfortable with the 1000 cc motor. It runs a little easier at speed and "feels" more relaxed -to me-.
Some people knock the 1000 as not being as smooth as the 650. It hasn't been an issue for me.
Other than chudder, which is curable if it bothers you, there really are no issues with the 1K.
Since the bikes are pretty much the same other than the size of the motor, if you like the design either choice will work.
I also suggest you ride both before you decide.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts