StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garmin makes lots of GPS models. The primary difference between the Nuvi series and its successors, and the pricey Zumo series, is the IPX7 waterproofing on the Zumos.

Does anyone have any recommendations for non-Zumo Garmins that will do what Zumos do? My thought is that for a third of the price and a water resistant/proof mount, it would do just as well as a Zumo.

Full disclosure - I'm currently using perfectly functional 2720 on an over the dash mount. Unfortunately Garmin no longer supports it and the three year old maps are beginning to show their age. Meanwhile I'm also considering putting my phone in an aquabox with the TomTom app.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a used Nuvi 765 off of eBay, routes can be loaded into it, it will Bluetooth to a helmet headset, and I just updated the maps in it last night. It's a good idea to add a SD card to it for extra memory capacity for the maps.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Nuvi 2597LMT, especially considering the price of it vs. the Zumos. I use Basecamp to create my routes and load them onto the Nuvi, and use it for family auto trips as well as on my VStrom. As with a majority of GPSs though, it's not the greatest with direct sunlight on it, but a shade can help with that.

I also have a 62s that I use on my WR (because it's built to take a beating and withstand the elements, etc.), but I do get pretty spoiled with the 5" display on the 2597 as well as other features that are nice that the 62s doesn't have or are as easy to access (e.g. what's up ahead, posted speed limit, etc.). The 62 accepts tracks though, and that's how I usually ride with my WR. The Nuvi only accepts routes, but that has been just fine for the trips I've used it on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A hikers GPS like a Garmin Montana or Oregon is waterproof and designed for severe use. My Oregon has spent a lot of time bouncing around offroad. If you add a City Navigator SD card it acts just like a Nuvi with downloadable routes, turn by turn navigation, and points of interest.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there are many others than just tomtom for your iphone -

this https://trips.furkot.com and this are a breakthrough

MotoMappers - GPS Motorcycle Tracks & Motorcycle Navigation

Co-pilot
MotionXGPS
Actually, I recently retired my Blackberry after it bounced off granite courthouse floors one too many times and was led to believe an android phone was what a I really needed. I'm not convinced yet, and unfortunately motomappers doesn't support android. I like the look of Furkot, though.

Meanwhile, I was directed to Maps.Me as a general purpose off-line GPS - so far so good. My test is to input the names of the obscure little baseball diamond parks where my kids will be playing to see if the mapping software can find them. Since the ballparks rarely have addresses - typically they're tagged onto the back of a schoolyard with a different name, even google has a hard time finding them - slightly better luck with my cheap car mounted Tom Tom 1400.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A hikers GPS like a Garmin Montana or Oregon is waterproof and designed for severe use. My Oregon has spent a lot of time bouncing around offroad. If you add a City Navigator SD card it acts just like a Nuvi with downloadable routes, turn by turn navigation, and points of interest.
I was thinking that too, but the little screen and my aged eyes don't get along well, particularly when riding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was thinking that too, but the little screen and my aged eyes don't get along well, particularly when riding.
That's the case with my Oregon. It's fine offroad when I am not moving fast and just want to follow a trail. I am thinking about replacing it with a Montana that has a larger screen.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So this week I compared using an iPhone 6 versus and a new Zumo LM 590. I didn't like the iPhone 6 as much as I thought I would for navigation. It just felt like the roads were showing a little bit skinny and the screen was a little reflective in the sunlight. I just finished a ride using the zumo and I can say that it is absolutely readable in direct sunlight. I was very impressed. The maps on the zumo seems a little outdated looking compared to the very familiar Google maps on my smartphone.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't have a Zumo, but I do have a Nuvi 2597LMT that I usually keep in my car as well as an iPhone 6+. I've tried both and find the iPhone with the RAM universal x-mount easiest to read in direct sunlight. The screen of the Nuvi isn't quite bright enough, although I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.

I find I can angle the iPhone so that it reflects my dark jacket back into my eyes and it makes it quite legible. I've gotten hooked on audiobooks, and the 6+ is good at that, too.

Now I'm waiting on some conductive thread so I can make my favorite gloves touch screen compatible.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
There is a liquid for your glove tips
make motocycle glove work with touch screens

http://www.nanotips.com

I keep my x-mount slight loose on thr bars so I can change the angle of the iphone

Audible is the way to make long boring stretches disappear. :d

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts

·
1,323 Posts
I've heard of people making the Nuvis water-resistant with clear bathtub sealant, but you're still left with the problem that (at least the ones I've tried) they won't talk to a Bluetooth headset for turn-by-turn directions.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I use a refurnished Garmin Nuvi LM2455 that I bought on Amazon. It works great with the Tyre To Travel program, and loading custom routes created on the computer to the Garmin is a one touch process. As far as waterproofing goes, I keep a clear plastic bag in my top case, that I can throw over the GPS if it rains.

I've got along fine without hearing turn by turn directions. The GPS is positioned just below my line of sight, so I can see the screen just by slightly glancing down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My 765 works well though traffic stopped working a while back.

just got new maps but i haven't had a chance to test it. there is a way to replace the outdated maps on the device so you don't have to use a memory card and have the thing constantly tell you that one of your maps is outdated.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So this week I compared using an iPhone 6 versus and a new Zumo LM 590. I didn't like the iPhone 6 as much as I thought I would for navigation. It just felt like the roads were showing a little bit skinny and the screen was a little reflective in the sunlight. I just finished a ride using the zumo and I can say that it is absolutely readable in direct sunlight. I was very impressed. The maps on the zumo seems a little outdated looking compared to the very familiar Google maps on my smartphone.
No doubt, the Zumos are the gold standard.

I've been trying a number of nav apps on this new (to me) Samsung Galaxy S4. I may pick up an X mount and see how it does on the bike.

I guess for now I will continue with the 2720, paper maps and the phone in my pocket. If the 2720 becomes less usable I will head on over to the GPS comparison pages on the Garmin website and see which of the Nuvis does what I want. Spoken directions aren't important to me on the bike - no bluetooth in my helmet as I'm still not inclined to put a radiation source that close to my brain. Besides, it interrupts the voices in my head.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
GoogleMaps is not a NavProgram suitable for riding tho the voice nav is okay....I don't find the visual nav that good.

There are many others...TomTom is my goto app.

This is the usual look on the iPhone

You get to see the exact signage you are looking at in real life.

Co-Pilot is also very good

On thing I like about TomTom is that when you approach a corner the arrow expands guiding you around it so you get a real sense of your approach speed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 765 works well though traffic stopped working a while back.

just got new maps but i haven't had a chance to test it. there is a way to replace the outdated maps on the device so you don't have to use a memory card and have the thing constantly tell you that one of your maps is outdated.
What way is that? I recently updated the maps on my 765, but am also using an SD card. I haven't used it yet to see how it's working.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts