StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Non-Sportbike" On-Track Training Day
Tuesday August 19
Thompson Speedway (map: https://goo.gl/maps/y3qJZ)
Thompson, CT

Tony's Track Days has graciously created a day of On-Track Instruction geared toward Street Riders. If you have been a little hesitant to do a track day then this is for you. Riders will be broken down into 3 groups: cruisers, tourers, and sport tourers. Please read the notes on gear. You need a full face or modular helmet, motorcycle jacket and pants (no chaps). Gloves and boots should overlap the jacket and pants so no skin is exposed when you are in the riding position.

I will definitely be attending on my ST or the Strom. I hope that you can join me. This is a great learning opportunity plus it is an absolute blast. Close your eyes and picture coming around a curve and entering a long straight with no cars, no obstacles, no enforcement, and no speed limit. Go at your own pace, get lots of classroom instruction, and work on the tips you are given on the same curves lap after lap.

Link to the event on Tony's Track Days: Non Sportbike On Track Training Day

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The requirements for this track day are relaxed. Unlike a sport bike track day, this is all you have to do:

TECH INSPECTION: For this day, we only want bikes that are in excellent road worthy condition with plenty of tire life remaining. There can be no leaking of any fluids - be sure to check your fork tubes! We will also be checking brake pads so be sure to have plenty of pad left. Riders will need to disable or tape over their brake light with blue painters tape. You do not need to disable your headlight or turn signals. You do need to cover your headlight and/or turn signals with blue painters tape if they are glass. Plastic lenses do not need to be taped. You do not need to clamp or wire your oil filter.

RIDING GEAR: Riders will be responsible for having full motorcycle gear. At a minimum, this means a motorcycle jacket and pants (no chaps). Gloves and boots should overlap the jacket and pants so no skin is exposed when you are in the riding position. Helmets must be FULL FACED. High quality modular helmets will be allowed but must remain in the locked position when on track. Hard back protectors are encouraged, but not mandatory.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Hey, I clicked the link and instantly recongnized a forum member.

Anyone know who it might be?

BTW, a V-Strom is a sportbike, it's just wearing hiking boots.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The rider on a 'strom in white is Garandman. He has since sold his DL650 and track rides a Tiger 1050. Although I have not seen him at events this year. I know he's also dirt riding with his son.

Track riding is one of the biggest highs I've ever experienced. I took my DL650 twice. Then I bought a dedicated track bike and now find myself very far down the rabbit hole.

If you are an aggressive street rider, I would not hesitate to jump directly into Tony's novice "red" group on a normal track day. I believe this day is geared more towards very large tourers and cruisers. I was at a Tony's on Monday and shared the track with an 1150GS with a 21" front wheel clad with a 50/50 knobbie! And he was in the INTERMEDIATE group!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rider on a 'strom in white is Garandman. He has since sold his DL650 and track rides a Tiger 1050. Although I have not seen him at events this year. I know he's also dirt riding with his son.

Track riding is one of the biggest highs I've ever experienced. I took my DL650 twice. Then I bought a dedicated track bike and now find myself very far down the rabbit hole.

If you are an aggressive street rider, I would not hesitate to jump directly into Tony's novice "red" group on a normal track day. I believe this day is geared more towards very large tourers and cruisers. I was at a Tony's on Monday and shared the track with an 1150GS with a 21" front wheel clad with a 50/50 knobbie! And he was in the INTERMEDIATE group!!!
I have been to regular Tony's days. It is a blast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I participated in the above track day, and I will have to agree with everyone else. The day was a blast. It was completely geared towards people who have never been on a track before. All levels of riders were there and the instructors did a great job getting everyone up to speed. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to try out riding without distractions. This day is two-fold for the company. One to get people out on a track with no distractions. Two, as a inexpensive intro to track riding so that maybe some people will jump up to his big business, Sport track days. I was there with about four other wee's and one Vee. The Twisted Throttle wee was one of the bikes there, though it did not participate that day. Tony said he may try to do two of these events a year, Spring and Fall. If so, I would recommend it. Three speeds of riders so you can as fast or not as you want. I stayed in the middle group which was perfect for the Wee. I could have run with the fast group but was underpowered for the straightaways. In the curves I would have been fine, but the fast riders were aggressive. Just decided I didn't want to be passed that much.

Brian

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I participated in the above track day, and I will have to agree with everyone else. The day was a blast. It was completely geared towards people who have never been on a track before. All levels of riders were there and the instructors did a great job getting everyone up to speed. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to try out riding without distractions. This day is two-fold for the company. One to get people out on a track with no distractions. Two, as a inexpensive intro to track riding so that maybe some people will jump up to his big business, Sport track days. I was there with about four other wee's and one Vee. The Twisted Throttle wee was one of the bikes there, though it did not participate that day. Tony said he may try to do two of these events a year, Spring and Fall. If so, I would recommend it. Three speeds of riders so you can as fast or not as you want. I stayed in the middle group which was perfect for the Wee. I could have run with the fast group but was underpowered for the straightaways. In the curves I would have been fine, but the fast riders were aggressive. Just decided I didn't want to be passed that much.

Brian
Thanks for coming Brian! It was a great learning opportunity and a whole bunch of fun. It looks like it will happen again next year. Woo hoo!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is on-board video of me riding in the fast group during the NER Non-Sportbike Track Day. The other groups were slower. Some riders rode about 50mph down the straight and took it easy all day. The pace was set by each rider. I made some mistakes with my lines and downshifting, but learned a lot and had a great day. My dark visor on my Nolan kept falling down when I hit the brakes hard. It was real annoying when you are braking from speed into a hairpin. Lots of Stroms on the track. Maybe I'll try the Strom next time.

https://vimeo.com/103968237

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great video Ed, I hope I can make it next year. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts