StromTrooper banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Probably not unlike shooting off fireworks. Been doing it for 60 years, never a significant injury. You could try to say that I'm just lucky, but I doubt my luck would hold for that long. Assess the risks, take appropriate measures to mitigate them. Obviously the potential for serious injury is there. But as long as you take the appropriate steps, you can mostly avoid them. Much like flying, riding takes a much higher level of competence and attention to detail than caging. Lots of people think they can transition from cars to bikes without changing their habits. That certainly would be dangerous.

Have a neighbor that is an emergency room doctor, sees all the people that fail. Always talking about murdercycles and the difference between motorcycle riders and organ donors (none). She absolutely can not understand why tragedy has not befallen me by now. Having seen her drive (very, very badly), the feeling is mutual.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Yup - stats say 2/3 of riders will never have an accident and if you winnowed out the high risk noobs and midlifers that number gets much higher.
Life has risks and rewards that each individual needs to assess and really not subject to anyone elses approval cept maybe a doctor or a court.

Now this ....well

·
Registered
88 Posts
Non-rider's opinion of motorcycle riders - Are we really as nuts as they say?

YES, but I was nuts even before buying the bike 🤣

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Saw that the rental scooters (Revel) in NY have been taken off the streets after a second death.

Other than the glaring inaccuracy of calling a vehicle without pedals a moped, shows that such vehicles, even limited to 30 MPH, can be deadly in the hands of the inexperienced.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh yeah, setting a bunch of people with no experience, and no protective gear, loose on the streets of New York, there's a recipe for success. Just like tourists down in the islands. Haven't ridden as much as a bicycle in 20 years and now they're off on a motor scooter on unfamiliar roads, no gear, possibly under the influence.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts