StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Coworker - "Are you nuts!? Do you have a death wish!? You're nearly 60 you shouldn't be doing this! Now, he's beaking off at the office how nuts I am. I really want to plow him but of course I can't. I didn't know what to say.
I know what you go through with people like that. My reply often ends up along the line of this;
"Listen, I know that me riding a motorcycle scares you. I understand completely. I have two cats at home. One is a outdoor cat and the other is a indoor cat. The indoor cat thinks the other one is totally insane for going out there."

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had to retire from riding about 4 years ago because of minor vertigo issues in my inner ear. Rode for 40 years - about a dozen bikes and probably 250K miles total. Never had an accident, never had an injury. I made many 1-day trips from St Louis back to West Virginia.

I went back to running more because my wife said it was safer (I was a recreational marathon runner when I was in my 30s and 40s). In the past 4 years, I've been hit twice by cars - one ran a red light and one ran a stop sign. Luckily low-speed with just minor bruises and scrapes. Hmmm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My conversation with a co-worker about my upcoming business/ personal trip from Montreal to Winnipeg and Brandon went something like this: Me - "Ya I'm heading to Brandon and the 'Peg on my 650 next week. Gonna overnight in Sudbury and Thunder Bay on the way. I'm really looking forward to it. Gonna be there about a month".

Coworker - "Are you nuts!? Do you have a death wish!? You're nearly 60 you shouldn't be doing this! Now, he's beaking off at the office how nuts I am. I really want to plow him but of course I can't. I didn't know what to say. Man what is with some people. They see me coming to work on it almost daily. I know the risk and I accept it. Isn't that what is important? I try to use good road strategy and do my best to stay safe.

My wife is concerned too but no more than if I took one of the cars. She prefers I ride the bike as opposed to flying which I normally do when there's no virus.
I'm packing light as I'm shipping what I need for suits, documents, etc. ahead of me. Just venting. The sub-forum is titled member therapy. Thanks for listening.
You can have your life changed or ended just going to the pub or the corner store, just do what you enjoy I think, do it safe think ahead enjoy.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
well - I was nuts when I rode. My adult daughter will be nuts when she starts riding (a new thing for her that I did not expect) . Life is too precious to risk on am MC - so we all are (or were in my case) totally nuts to ride.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
A few thoughts on this topic.

Riding is obviously dangerous. The DOT did a very good study 10-12 years back, and it put the over all per mile fatality rate of riders 32 times higher than drivers. Now, wearing a helmet cut your risk almost in half, as did not drinking and riding. Take those together (and yes, I'm ignoring the covariance) and we get, at best 8 times the risk if we do neither. Factor in rider training, experience, ATGATT, and maybe knock it down to 4 times the risk. Significantly more, by any standard, even for the best case scenario.

People tend to think their own judgements are sound, so if someone else's are very different that will raise suspicion in their minds about that other person. Carlin had a routine years back that:
So, people who don't ride, think it's too risky, well, they're going to think you're a maniac, and some of them are going to say something. Human nature.

And most aggravatingly, at least to me, is that the same damn thing happens on this forum, and every other motorcycle forum I've ever been on. People take a risk that others don't approve of, think is senseless, would never do themselves, and get jumped on for being morons, manics, irresponsible, and every other thing you can think of. No consideration or acceptance of someone else's judgement of risk/reward ratios being different than theirs.
I'm talking, of course, about helmets. The amount of smug, self-righteous scorn that gets heaped on people who people who ride helmetless, from people who often turn around and complain about smug, self-righteous people criticizing them for riding just boggles my mind. Especially since every argument you can make for using a helmet can be applied, with more justification, to not riding.

For the record, I always wear a helmet myself. and I'm not referencing the OP in my little diatribe. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
A few thoughts on this topic.
Yeah that Carlin bit was what I was referencing in the last line of my post.

And I was thinking about going off about helmet laws, lol. If it was up to me you'd be free to ride without one if that's your desire. Not sure why one would want to, generally, but whatever. It's not my head.

I'll still call out what seems stupidly dangerous to me, but as long as you're really only endangering yourself, have at it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
And most aggravatingly, at least to me, is that the same damn thing happens on this forum, and every other motorcycle forum I've ever been on
Not just on this forum, but everywhere riders gather. I help to run the riders club I belong to. The vast majority of the club, including myself, are ATGATT type riders. But Ontario has recently passed an exemption to helmet laws for turban wearing Sikhs, and a few new members this year are taking advantage of this. Another new member, who generally rides in full gear, will occasionally bring his wife along as a passenger, and she happily rides in helmet, tank top, shorts and flip flops. I'm personally horrified by both situations, and other members of the admin team have suggested "we should really speak to them about this"..

Won't happen on my watch. I and the rest of the admin team have every right to be aghast at their decisions, but as long as their decisions are within the laws of our province, they have every right to make them, and the admin team gets to be quietly annoyed by it.

It works both ways too. I started riding on a cruiser. Around here at least, most cruiser riders seem to go with a half helmet, vest and jeans for gear. I went full face, full head to toe gear, and absorbed a lot of ridicule for it from less heavily clad riders. I never really cared. Twenty years of bicycle racing before I started riding motorcycles taught me more than enough about the effects of pavement on bare flesh. But when you're racing, you're always at the limits of your ability, which is a place where every little mistake will result in a violent introduction to terra firma. I don't ride a motorcycle that way, so perhaps it's unnecessary for me to apply my bicycle experience to my motorcycling decisions. At least that's what I tell myself when I see a rider without safety gear, so I can remember to keep quiet about his or her decisions.

We are thankfully all allowed to disagree with each other, but opinions on personal decisions should only be shared when solicited.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for all the supporting comments. I try to live my own life, try to be kind to others, am not particularly religious but we all gotta believe in something. I try not to judge others. I am far from perfect and I try to remember that the only person who will be with me to the end through life's ups and downs is me. So I try to do things that make me happy. Riding motorcycles is one of those things. I'm ATTGAT but don't preach about it. We are all responsible for our own ride after all. Thanks again. I think I'll try Paddle's line about owning a bed with this guy.. At least I'll get a good laugh out of it! Thanks all this is a great community. Hopefully us Canucks can get down to the rallies this summer!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Indiana is a state where the only laws governing motorcycle riding attire are the ones governing public decency.

Personally, I don't care.

I'm ATGATT, of course, as is any remotely sane motorcyclist.

But it turns out making comprehensible, enforceable laws about riding gear is fiendishly difficult, and making useful laws is pretty much impossible. In states with helmet laws, one may meet the letter of the law with a completely useless plastic yarmulke perched atop one's bald spot. If you're too dumb to pay attention to the unforgiving laws of physics, then it's going to be pretty much impossible to make a useful state or federal law.

However, I am also free to make my own choices as well.

The one ironclad personal rule I have is that I will not ride in the company of the vast unhelmeted and unprotected majority. I don't have a particularly weak stomach, but I do not wish to risk viewing the undoubtedly disgusting contents of your skull and skin. If you're so dedicated to ignoring the laws of physics, you're not the kind of person I want to ride with.

Riding unhelmeted and unprotected also indicates very poor decision-making skills in general. Just not something I want to be anywhere near. Even if the physical skills are good (and they rarely are with this brand of idiot), motorcycling safely on public roads is more about rapid-fire constant decision-making. I want to ride, not use up the contents of my first-aid kit on your road rash, or spend hours roadside in the sun trying to make field repairs or waiting for ambulances and pickups.

Even without disaster, the ungeared need to stop a lot more often than the geared. I much prefer to ride further between stops and cover more tasty twisties in a day. We're just going to be deeply incompatible in our goals for the day.

And yes, of COURSE I'm extremely polite about it. No high horse at all.

Yes, you are absolutely a blithering idiot if you ride unprotected, but I don't actually tell morons they're morons to their faces. It never works anyway, because morons have the superpower of always knowing that they're right.

There's always a way to make expectations clear ahead of time, or make an excuse, or just plain vanish. I do the same when I hear or see other evidence of extremely poor decision-making, too.

In general, I've become very choosy about who I ride with, so it hardly ever becomes necessary to explain in detail.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I am a ATGANAT ( Nearly All ).

·
Registered
173 Posts
In his office the other day my doctor asked me what I was going to do on the coming weekend. I told him that I would go riding. He told me "Mr. Hmm, motorcycles are very dangerous."

I'm damned glad that he told me that since it's been 45 years since I started and I'm just now finding that out.

Reactions: Railrocker

·
Registered
171 Posts
In his office the other day my doctor asked me what I was going to do on the coming weekend. I told him that I would go riding. He told me "Mr. Hmm, motorcycles are very dangerous."

I'm damned glad that he told me that since it's been 45 years since I started and I'm just now finding that out.
My doctor has joined my riding club (no joke here, he really did). It's good to have him along, it's so very rare to find a doctor who still makes ditch calls.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Being a doctor is very dangerous too, exposed to all those sick people every day.
Once heard of a cop who advised some riders to find a safer hobby. Well, at least I don't have to wear a bullet proof vest to work. (Figuratively speaking, I don't work at all.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles for 50 years (40 on the street) and I do not consider riding a motorcycle to be a "dangerous" pursuit. Aside from some off-road spills I anticipated were probably coming based on the terrain and what I was attempting to do, I've never dumped a motorcycle or had an accident. I've been driving autos/trucks/motorcycles for 40 years and have never been in any kind of accident, not even a fender-bender. I figure I've driven/ridden at least a million miles in my life so far, actually probably edging up toward a million and a half or 2 million.

Never been a subscriber of the old "biker maxim" that "There are two kinds of motorcyclists: those who have gone down and those who will."

I also firmly adhere to the tenet that if you get into an accident on a motorcycle, it's nobody's fault but your own. It's an unpopular opinion among fellow riders. So be it. It's served me well so far.

Maybe I've just been lucky; I don't know I always wear a helmet but it's mostly to reduce fatigue, to protect my hearing and to keep birds and large bugs and tire-thrown debris from taking out my eyes. Sometimes I wear gear, sometimes I just don't feel like it and don't. I usually ride wearing a pair of overalls and a t-shirt. For some reason, I refuse to operate a motorcycle without wearing gloves.

So, see my name in the obits one day for getting wiped on a motorcycle and you can say, "Well, he was full of shit." Just don't remember to comment "It was his fault."

No disrespect directed toward those who gear up fully all the time. I get it and despite what I've said in the post, you display more common sense than I do.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Something is going to kill you. As far as we know, no one gets out of here alive. Mortality rates continue to run at 100%. Live, and enjoy, for as long as you can. What other people think is for their reality, not yours.

I keep a copy of this article for just this type of post.

From local newspaper, several years ago:

SOUTH BEND, IND.

Tree crashes through roof, kills man watching TV in bed

A large tree limb crashed through a roof and killed a man in his bed.
Police called to the home of David Wetzel, 41, on Wednesday night found a branch 3 feet to 5 feet in diameter lying across the man’s chest.
The tree appeared to be healthy, and investigators did not immediately know what caused the limb to fall.
“It is just one of those unforeseen, tragic events,” said Jaimee Thirion, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff’s Department. “It was not storming, and the wind was hardly blowing.”
Wetzel’s wife and son were also home at the time but were not hurt. His wife told officers she was in the kitchen and her husband was watching television in bed.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Something is going to kill you. As far as we know, no one gets out of here alive. Mortality rates continue to run at 100%. Live, and enjoy, for as long as you can. What other people think is for their reality, not yours.

I keep a copy of this article for just this type of post.

From local newspaper, several years ago:

SOUTH BEND, IND.

Tree crashes through roof, kills man watching TV in bed

A large tree limb crashed through a roof and killed a man in his bed.
Police...found a branch 3 feet to 5 feet in diameter lying across the man’s chest.
...and investigators did not immediately know what caused the limb to fall.

Wetzel’s wife and son were also home at the time...
and said they had no idea where that chain saw came from.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts