StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the marked for a non-locking gas cap. I'm a year round rider and have been have a real problem with the lock freezing. I've found a place that sells them but none state V-Strom specific.

Does anyone know if the Stroms shares a gas cap assembly with any other Suzuki's?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Is the probelm getting the key in or turning the lock mechanism.

If it's the former, why not get a spare key made and leave it in all winter? You could super glue it in if you're worried about 'Strom theft.

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
I'd also like a non locking gas cap, I just don't have a need to keep the fuel cap locked and would prefer the convenience of fueling up without the use of a key

I did some searching a couple of weeks ago, there are some out there, just haven't determiened if they are bolt on for the V-strom or not

http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/catalogs/viewproductdetailbysku/U2t1U3RhcnRzOmxvY2s=/6/50332/custom-cycle-engineering-flushmount-gas-caps-nonlocking.aspx

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I can take a look at my Suzuki 2007 1250 Bandit and SV1000 this afternoon and post later. I think your going to be ok with one, maybe either bike. The Suzuki's are all so very close to the same. The tanks' neck is what I believe are almost ALL the same. It's the # of bolts that attach the hinged cap assy to the tank that I question. (Some of those allenhead bolts appearing to hold the cap ring on are fake, only 3 or 4 actually do anything). The total # of bolts showing .... some models, 5,.. some show 7.

Again, I'll check.
dave

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
have a real problem with the lock freezing
Does silicone spray in the lock help? I have success with that for locks on my truck bed cover and other places.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Like another poster mentioned relative to keeping the key in the gas cap...

...but rather than having the head of the key sticking out, you could cut it off and JBweld it to a benign looking knob.

GW'ers do it a lot, see here.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
just ride around with your spare key in the gas cap!
Don't you ever read my posts any more?

Being from a warmer climate, I thought I might have misunderstood the nature of the problem. Since you are at roughly the same latitude as the OP, maybe you'll get the acknowledgment I so richly deserve.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Like another poster mentioned relative to keeping the key in the gas cap...

...but rather than having the head of the key sticking out, you could cut it off and JBweld it to a benign looking knob.

GW'ers do it a lot, see here.

I would image the knobs of most Goldwingers would be considered relatively benign.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Both the 1250 Bandit and the SV650/1000 caps attach with 3 five mm bolts. In addition theres 2 "fake" bolts, creating the apearance of 5 evenly spaced bolts.
The DL's use 4 "real" bolts and 3 "fake" ones, a total of 7.
All three tank necks are identical in recessed depth, internal and external diameters.
Looks like you just need to ask them if they make a cap for a Suzuki that attaches with 4 bolts. While Bandit and SV caps are out I bet there'll be one that works ....... maybe an older GSX-R.
dave

Forgot to mention, .... you'll need to inquire about your venting needs too.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Don't you ever read my posts any more?

Being from a warmer climate, I thought I might have misunderstood the nature of the problem. Since you are at roughly the same latitude as the OP, maybe you'll get the acknowledgment I so richly deserve.
IPA factor!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sure would be nice to not have to use the key. I agree. I don't mind using the key to open it, but I pretty much have to use the key to close it too (doesn't want to close w/out key), and I take the key out between in order to not scratch the tank. Such a hassle. I have 0 worries about anyone stealing fuel or putting crap in my tank.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Don't know if it'll work in this case but I had a cruiser that I cut the tab off the key, got an old chromed steering head nut, filled it with epoxy and embedded the key in it.
You can get a similar nut, smaller and black to use on the strom. Remove the spring cap, put some di-electric grease on the key and in the hole so no water will ever get in and leave the key there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That to me is the most sensable way to accomplish keyless entry but make sure the knobs low profile... hugs the cap, so you don't bend or break it when it's bumped.
Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts