StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First all, I am coming form BMW 1200LTs and currently ride a CanAm Spyder RT. I have been checking out and planned on buying a 2009 DL650-ABS with 20,000 miles on it. I took it for a test ride yesterday. I noticed quite a bit of gearbox/trans whining particularly in 3rd gear at low RPM. It is noise on acceleration then quiets down and returns when throttle is let off and engine braking occurs. Be for I purchase it, is this something to be concerned about or is this "normal" for this bike. I am used to very quiet gearboxes. It does have a lot of Touratech protection pieces as well as the lower engine cover with oil cooler position change. It is certainly possible that it is just the normal sounds being redirected up.
Reply as soon as possible as the sale is kind of pending based on replies.
Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Coming from BMW's that are generally agricultural in build, I'm surprised you are worried about a bit of whine.
Having said that, mine is a 2010 with >5k on it and it does have a whine, but it's mechanical and the gears go in smoothly and are just fine up and down the gears. The whine sound is @30-50mph range then goes away.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Wees have straight cut primary gears that are noisy. What you are hearing is likely normal. Noise questions are common here and it is extremely rare to encounter a noise that is an actual problem.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
yup - straight cut

yup - straight cut - lets have a look, shall we

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
gear whine

mine (DL650A 40,000 miles) has an annoying whine in 1st and 2nd, but runs fine. I bought it used.

I swear that my prior bike, DL650, 20,000 miles had no such whine.

I am keeping the DL650A, because it was and is an affordable ride.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Noise feedback is apparently something to which Suzuki paid a bit of attention. The Glee's primary gears are scissors instead of straight cut and there is a noise baffle in the clutch cover. It didn't so much reduce the noise as change it though.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
My BMW R1200 RT trans makes no noise...My 2011 650 whines in 3rd gear thru 6th. No problems with gearbox I just wear ear plugs..

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Check the oil level on that '09. Engine off, bike straight up, oil somewhere in the glass.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My '07 whines in 6th around 5000rpm, more on power than off. If the gears were stuffed it would be putting tons of shiny particles and magnetic junk in the oil ... it doesn't. I've learned to ignore it and ride.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I recently purchased a gently used 2011 DL650ABS and noted that the gear noise was louder than my 05 Vee. I was a bit concerned at first, thinking I might have purchased one with a problem so am glad to know that this is fairly common with the Wee.

I just completed a 1000 mile ride on it though and aside from noisier gear box, it performed superbly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2009 DL650 whines in 3rd, and has since it was new. It now has 12k miles on it.

My 2006 DR650, also a Suzuki, whined the same way in 3rd, and whined throughout the 30k miles I put on it.

I think Suzuki make whining gear boxes, but they sure go!

Ken

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My 2007 has alway had a noisy gearbox. Clunks going from 1st to 2nd, sometimes has a thud going into 1st from neutral. Noise is much louder since I put a bashpan on it. Thing sounds like an old Ford tractor. It worried me some at first when I got it but I have ridden a couple of other Wee's (pre 2012's) and they all seem to have this. Understand it is caused by the straight cut gears. I am not even aware of the sounds now, got used to it as a sound that is supposed to be there. Listen for other different sounds now. Put Shinko tires on it and you will get to listen to the tires.

I love my Wee, especially when my arthritis allows me to pull the clutch. This spring has been good to me. I have been able to ride this bike instead of my Burgman.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is old but I just bought a 2009 650. Perhaps I didn’t notice the noise because I was focused on beautiful she looked but I noticed the same issue in third gear. I don’t know what oil the former owner(s) used but I just put in Rotella T6 in it. Is there anything I should be changing or concerned about?

Thanks guys/girls for any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this post is old but I just bought a 2009 650. Perhaps I didn’t notice the noise because I was focused on beautiful she looked but I noticed the same issue in third gear. I don’t know what oil the former owner(s) used but I just put in Rotella T6 in it. Is there anything I should be changing or concerned about?

Thanks guys/girls for any help.
I run the T6 in mine too. Its what a lot of guys here run. The gears still whine some but there isn't any harm in that. Have driven semis that have whined for over a million miles and still worked fine, that is just the nature of that type of gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts