StromTrooper banner

Noisy Engine on a 1000

2837 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  notmyfault
So i am talking to a seller who has an 05 with 20k on it. He has Leo Vince pipes, and I asked about how the bike runs.
"sounds like a typical V strom he says, noisy motor."
Is that correct?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Update: I just (on my lunch hour) installed and test-rode a Power Commander III in my K3. Wow! It's still noisy, but waaaaaaay smoother at low RPMs and speeds, and so therefore less Russian tractor-like.

Thanks to the tall gearing and Toronto traffic, I rarely get out of first on my ride to work. Pre-Power Commander, it was pretty rough. Now it's smooth and silky (well, compared to before, anyway). Can't wait to get it out on the highway tomorrow morning!

:thumbup:

· Registered
50 Posts
Just got my '80 Yamaha XS650 back on the road. Ride one of those for a day, and you will think the DL-1000 is the smoothest riding bike you have ever been on. Chudder....what chudder? :mrgreen:

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Front cam chain tensioner is the culprit 90% of the time
Not from the reports seen on V-Strom forums. Cam chain problems are rare. The reports can be counted on one hand. Just about all V-Sroms are reported to have noisy engines.

· Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Just got my '80 Yamaha XS650 back on the road. Ride one of those for a day, and you will think the DL-1000 is the smoothest riding bike you have ever been on. Chudder....what chudder? :mrgreen:
I've owned both these bikes. They can both be made smoother than people would lead you to think.

With the Strom, pay attention to the chain/sprockets quality and tension. Makes a big difference. It's still going to hammer/rattle through the lower RPMs though. I haven't played with clutch basket mods, but some people say that eliminates a lot of the roughness. If it's reliability you're worried about, I'm at 100 000+ kms, no problems.

BTW: My XS was buttery smooth compared to the DL.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
Quiet, like cannonballs in a cement mixer..............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.