StromTrooper banner

Noise cancelling ear buds?

2288 47
Guys,
I keep getting ads on social media for noise cancelling ear buds from Axil. The noise suppression and cancelling have me intrigued if they would work on the motorcycle. I currently have a HJC I90 modular helmet and wind noise has been an issue from day one. Currently riding with custom fit ear plugs as anything above 60mph without them is painful. I miss listening to music on the bike and usually ride for 2-4 hours. I recently added a Cee Bailey windscreen and the buffeting is all but gone, however the wind noise persist. I know I could add the Sena for the HJC but not sure I want to continue with the i90 long term. Has anyone tried noise cancelling ear buds and do they work for wind noise? Option 2 is to buy a much more expensive helmet and start over. I am hoping to try my brother's Shoei Neotec 2 soon as he says it is very quiet and doesn't feel the need to wear earplugs with it unless he is doing extended interstate riding. I have added thicker cheek and ear pads to the I90 in order to hopefully quiet it down, no such luck.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Tiger 900GT, '14 Vstrom 1000 gone but NOT FORGOTTEN!
2,436 Posts
I have used plugphones for the past 6 years, and would not ride without them. They are an in ear canal device, and work great. Inexpensive and durable to boot. Because they fit inside the ear canal, they offer a level of noise reduction while letting you listen to your favorite music. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
I forgot to add....I have used both noise cancelling and non....on the bike I really can't tell the difference. More effective is the foam over the rubber earbud inserts.

·
Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
58 Posts
Mrs bought me these. Terrible to shut off but they work extremely well. Like them a lot. Work well with a Bluetooth bar remote. Control volume switch songs and play and pause.
Product Output device Audio equipment Automotive tire Font

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sinehousers here w/ EAR piece formable plug inserts.
Fantastic sound, good noise levels even at low volumes, but the price...
you get what you pay for...

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,856 Posts
The best ear plugs I have found is these, which are hollow and so conform to your ear. They are comfortable, work, and stay in. Also available with a lanyard.
Font Gas Audio equipment Auto part Machine

This link is for a 120 pair box but I buy them in smaller quantities.
Also, I agree with Pete that cutting the noise down at source is far more effective. I fitted a Givi Airflow screen and the difference in wind noise, as well as wind protection, is amazing.

·
Registered
Heated grips, bark busters, pegs lowered,LED fog lights, LED license plate,
42 Posts
Try Shure as they fit flush so don’t fall out taking helmet off. Also they have memory foam so you squeeze it down, insert it and it expands for a great snug fit. You can get them wired or wireless which have a four hour limit on the battery.
they come in several different specs, obviously more you spend the better the sound.
I love mine.

·
Premium Member
2018 Vstrom 1000xt
24 Posts
I agree with the S Plug Earbuds. I had a pair that worked on my GW, before the VStrom. Designed by an Audiologist, they had a single small (and I mean small) speaker set for smaller ear canals, and a double speaker for those that had more room in the canal. I regretfully ant find my set and now use a in-ear set with replaceable ear buds at a cheaper price. I would spit wet (gross, LOL) and push in ear. If inserted deep enough, you can cancel all noise which is NICE!
Just need to pay special attn to surrounding, etc. I also have used Ipod Pro buds, but as stated earlier, you can still get some noise. But I must say the features linked with your IPhone, make phone use, and music listening nice with my Neotec2. Didnt like the SRL unit ( I have for sale) being it did not isolate road and wind noise to listen to music, etc without being at full power! Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried jbl noise cancelling bluetooth earplugs. They were a tight fit with the helmet on, fell out when I took my helmet off, and did not cancel anywhere near enough wind noise. I have since wondered if corded earplugs would be better so if they fall they're easier to find/grab. If the silicone ear plugs I wear can block out the noise, surely a set of earphones can do the same thing. Following this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Jabra Bluetooth True noise cancelling earbuds, and the work very well for me .
I can sit on the bike at idle , turn on the noise cancelling , and hear all sound fade to nearly nothing. Pretty cool.
While riding I listen to music from my phone at a reasonable volume, and it sounds good.
They do, however, fall out when I remove my Arai full face! So I open my top case ,lean over and let them fall. Funny with my LS2 jet style lid they stay in most times!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Aftershokz. They're bone conduction headphones, so rather than putting noise in your ear canal they vibrate on your jawbone and transmit the sound to your brain that way. It's kind of wild.
Anyway, because they leave your ear canal open, you can put ear plugs in, which makes the headphones louder and cuts out all the white noise while riding. I can listen to audiobooks while riding, which was hard to do with any other remedy. Depending on how your helmet interacts with the microphone you can use it for phone calls too.

·
Registered
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
3 Posts
SOLUTION - PLEASE READ

I've been wearing ear plugs - foam, rubber, moldable, etc., then earbuds - for decades. Too many old riders were telling me they regret not taking better care of their ears... You have to listen to old guys! Bottom line, get these:

Soundcore by Anker Space A40 Adaptive Active Noise Cancelling Wireless Earbuds ($100 on Amazon)

Two years ago I switched to active noise cancelling earbuds. I went through several pair (it is that important to me). I ended up with Skullcandy Indy ANC earbuds. They worked really well, though they have a "tail" on them like Apple's and they would get caught on my helmet when taking it off, specially my Shoei Air II, a tighter overall fit. I can't use them any longer because Skullcandy doesn't have replacement ear gels (the things with the hooks on them that keep them in your ear - and that rip and fall off), so I had to find an alternative.

The Soundcore A40s I've put several hundred miles on, now, are WAY better than the ANCs. Glad I was forced to look elsewhere. They are very configurable, and VERY effective. And...they fit incredibly well. They are lower profile than the ANCs and have no tail: no issues putting on/taking off helmets. They come in a charging case (which is also wireless charging capable), but also have a very long battery life. They can, importantly, be used independently when needed (like when walking into a store or gas station - AFTER you take off your helmet...). You can also set them up with a phone app to be "transparent" which allows for a decent amount of ambient noise to come through. Yet, you can filter out up to 40db (!) if you need to.

I can't recommend these enough. Just go buy them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Over the past 50+ years of riding I have tried literally dozens of ways to stop wind noise and allow listening in a helmet.

Best answer for me to date? Sony WIC200 bluetooth earbuds.

Good enough noise reduction to comfortably work mowing on the tractor. Fit nicely in my N104 Nolan. Great seal for wind noise reduction (when I remember to trim the ear hair). Stay in my ears while riding. Stay in my ears most of the time while removing the helmet. Not an audioplile so can't comment on sound quality beyond saying "sound good to me". Don't see much difference between these and my $200 plus Shure wired buds. Podcasts are fine pushing triple digits. Battery life is legitimately around 15 hours playtime.

The one huge drawback is price. The best I could do on Ebay was ALMOST $12 A PAIR! SHIPPED. What a ripoff. Bought a total of 7 sets. Grandkids. Wife. Spare set.

Try them. As my favorite POTUS said: "Whadda ya got to lose?"

·
Registered
96 Posts
A neck curtain or even a scarf around your neck to better seal the helmet base to your neck should take care of most of the noise.

I have used several varieties of these https://www.amazon.com/JVC-Xplosives-Headphone-HAFX103R-HAFX103MR/dp/B06X155J4P over the years. Not noise canceling, but a good tight fit and they almost always stayed in place when getting the helmet on/off. Bonus is they're the best sounding ones I ever used.

A thin balaclava or a helmet liner that covers your ears helps keep them in place, too.
Can you explain or show a link to what a neck curtain is? I don't know that term. Thx

·
Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
58 Posts
Can you explain or show a link to what a neck curtain is? I don't know that term. Thx
Neck Gaiter is another term for it. Basically a bellaclava. Bridges the gap between your helmet and your jacket.

Attachments

Reactions: slovcan and Sladep
21 - 40 of 48 Posts