StromTrooper banner

Noise cancelling ear buds?

1941 46
Guys,
I keep getting ads on social media for noise cancelling ear buds from Axil. The noise suppression and cancelling have me intrigued if they would work on the motorcycle. I currently have a HJC I90 modular helmet and wind noise has been an issue from day one. Currently riding with custom fit ear plugs as anything above 60mph without them is painful. I miss listening to music on the bike and usually ride for 2-4 hours. I recently added a Cee Bailey windscreen and the buffeting is all but gone, however the wind noise persist. I know I could add the Sena for the HJC but not sure I want to continue with the i90 long term. Has anyone tried noise cancelling ear buds and do they work for wind noise? Option 2 is to buy a much more expensive helmet and start over. I am hoping to try my brother's Shoei Neotec 2 soon as he says it is very quiet and doesn't feel the need to wear earplugs with it unless he is doing extended interstate riding. I have added thicker cheek and ear pads to the I90 in order to hopefully quiet it down, no such luck.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
07DL1K
369 Posts
I tried jbl noise cancelling bluetooth earplugs. They were a tight fit with the helmet on, fell out when I took my helmet off, and did not cancel anywhere near enough wind noise. I have since wondered if corded earplugs would be better so if they fall they're easier to find/grab. If the silicone ear plugs I wear can block out the noise, surely a set of earphones can do the same thing. Following this one.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I did have some that fitted, they were unhelpful. In my case the noise sensor was on the lanyard and that meant it didn't cancel well. Ended up with a low frequency 'whoopwhoop' effect that was probably worse than the original noise.

You may find some that work but I'd be really surprised. There was an announcement of a helmet a few years ago that was supposed to have noise cancellation built in, that never happened.

I find with the Givi shield on both my DL's wind noise is so low it's not a problem even with the helmet visor up.

I've ridden a lot of k's without earplus and I have to have hearing tests for work, my hearing is O.K. for my age. No sign of the notches that prolonged exposure to loud music or industrial noise cause at least.

I'm not saying don't wear hearing protection, just that it is possible to deal with most of the noise at source.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I always ride with ear plugs.without them it is immediately noticeable.I wonder there is something wrong with bike.All those mechanical noises.I know it is the wind noise that will eventually deafen you.
I can (days total) ride twice as far with them in.I also am calmer at days end.win/win.

l’ve had many a discussion ;not started by me.what you do is up to you.Usually by a friend,new riding buddy etc.why ear plugs? Explain my views.Goes down the path that they are already deaf,or impaired.And wearing a beanie helmet,or WW2 replica Nazi helmet that costs more than my full face.The I’m l ready deaf thing probably came from father figure . Operating a chain saw etc.

rant over.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A neck curtain or even a scarf around your neck to better seal the helmet base to your neck should take care of most of the noise.

I have used several varieties of these https://www.amazon.com/JVC-Xplosives-Headphone-HAFX103R-HAFX103MR/dp/B06X155J4P over the years. Not noise canceling, but a good tight fit and they almost always stayed in place when getting the helmet on/off. Bonus is they're the best sounding ones I ever used.

A thin balaclava or a helmet liner that covers your ears helps keep them in place, too.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Yeah, I live in Australia. The chin guard on my current helmet (N100-5) is the first I've not torn off and thrown away in minutes.
Neither the scarf or balaclava were viable options here because of the heat, which is why I made efforts to reduce the noise at source.

I do have earplugs and I do occasionally wear them but I can only wear them 6 hours or so before they become unbearable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I tried jbl noise cancelling bluetooth earplugs. They were a tight fit with the helmet on, fell out when I took my helmet off, and did not cancel anywhere near enough wind noise. I have since wondered if corded earplugs would be better so if they fall they're easier to find/grab. If the silicone ear plugs I wear can block out the noise, surely a set of earphones can do the same thing. Following this one.
I can't even keep those jbl's in place sitting at my computer>>. Honking big set of awkward plugs. I wear earplugs and can still listen to music and hear turn directions with my Sena 20S. About as good as it will get

·
Registered
818 Posts
I bought an expensive Bose noise canceling headset in 2015, hoping it would work with the Schuberth C3 which at the time was advertised as the quietest helmet. The noise cancellation worked until I went faster than 50mph when it became overwhelmed and made very loud popping noises each time a puff of wind made it into the helmet. It was truly unpleasant. I haven’t revisited the idea since.

The Bose headset is still in use for what it was intended. It is perfect for airline travel and it also gets used for work meetings or to watch a movie.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I guess I am lucky. I have a full face upper end Scorpion helmet with a Sena set-up. Noise is not an issue. I take phone calls while riding and the person on the other end can't believe I am actually riding a motorcycle. I also carry on a conversation with my wife on the back with no extra effort while traveling at highway speeds. I have never felt a need for ear plugs or other such devices.

Reactions: NVDucati

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
I have been wearing neckband Bluetooth buds for several years. If you change out the rubber earbud for a foam one, it blocks much more wind noise. Pick a pair that has the lowest profile buds, or your helmet liner will push on them and cause irritation quickly. You can also remove some of the liners over the ear to make more room.

The last ones I bought were the Beats Flex...around $40:

For long trips, I carry a back-up, so one is always charging while riding.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
In the end, I use Kleenex tissue or toilet paper.
Always comfortable / fits / always available / clean / disposable / breaks up sound wave frequencies / can still hear

Reactions: Eldubya

·
Registered
293 Posts
I ride with an I90 helmet also and didn't think the wind noise was all that bad. I was expecting more being a modular and having more seams and stuff but with that being said, I've always had hearing problems my entire life and people finally figuring out when I was 4yo that I was essentially deaf, after many operations I have about 75% hearing. If I'm going to be doing highways speeds for any real length of time I wear earbuds and listen to music. I've had to try several before I finally found some to wear comfortably inside the helmet. I also have speakers inside my helmet but that doesn't eliminate the noise between the foam and your ear. Other than the earbuds I wear just the normal foam earplugs that you squish and put in. They're cheap and work well for me.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I carry foamies in my pannier. There are some in every riding coat. I will not ride without hearing pro. I have tinnitus from work and gunfire. I don’t want my ears compromised. Wind noise is insidious in that it doesn’t seem loud and is cumulative.

I am in @Marmora camp. I know right away when my foamies are out and stop to put them on.

@Hans471 , to me, taking a phone call while riding is akin to taking a call during sex. It can wait. My wife knows how to call the fire department and to shoot back.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Have you tried the wind noise filtering earplugs like the Pinlock brand? They work fairly well for me and come with two different size ear plugs to fit more ears better.

I also went from an HJC SyMax 2 helmet to an LS2 Horizon, both of which are modular, but the LS2 is much quieter. I typically only use the earplugs for highway riding. I couldn't hear music on the Sena very well in the HJC, but is noticeably better on the LS2. Even better in cool weather when the chin curtain is in.

One other thing if you are not installing speakers, is to fill that cavity with some foam.

·
Registered
2021 DL650A
17 Posts
I have been using the Plugfone Liberate 2 for almost 10,000km now. Also used them for two months of daily jet boat operation.

Although not active noise cancelling, they definitely have some great reduction numbers (dB). Fit very well with an extremely low profile. Easy to fit in the helmet without pressure. Stay in place during helmet on/off.

My biggest concern was durability - I find a lot of headphones crap out where the tiny wires are flexing the most, usually where they enter the bud or volume dongle. But after 6 months of daily use, I'm very happy with these.

Great battery life too.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Guys,
I keep getting ads on social media for noise cancelling ear buds from Axil. The noise suppression and cancelling have me intrigued if they would work on the motorcycle. I currently have a HJC I90 modular helmet and wind noise has been an issue from day one. Currently riding with custom fit ear plugs as anything above 60mph without them is painful. I miss listening to music on the bike and usually ride for 2-4 hours. I recently added a Cee Bailey windscreen and the buffeting is all but gone, however the wind noise persist. I know I could add the Sena for the HJC but not sure I want to continue with the i90 long term. Has anyone tried noise cancelling ear buds and do they work for wind noise? Option 2 is to buy a much more expensive helmet and start over. I am hoping to try my brother's Shoei Neotec 2 soon as he says it is very quiet and doesn't feel the need to wear earplugs with it unless he is doing extended interstate riding. I have added thicker cheek and ear pads to the I90 in order to hopefully quiet it down, no such luck.
I am
Testing four sets of noise cancelling earbuds for an article I am writing

when done I will post here

1 - 20 of 47 Posts