Strom Trooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just informed by Suzuki USA in Brea, CA that they would not cover my cracked by vibration (no impact, broke while on paved road) crash bar on a still under warranty 2014 DL650 Adventure model. Their position is that the "accessory bars" are not part of the actual bike. They inferred that also meant they would not warranty the luggage, luggage racks, etc. I will post the e-mail I requested during my phone call with them this morning.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ok. So you buy OEM-equipped option package and they won't warrant them? That seems bizarre-o... That would be like ordering a car or van with an optional luggage rack and having it break and fall off the car without signs of obvious abuse, and the dealer refusing to make it right.

That is pretty lame, in my opinion and I would contact Suzuki USA.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had an experience with a Ducati some years back similar to yours. I purchased a Ducati branded accessorie which failed. They told me go away. Seems that Suzuki has the same policy. But by all means follow up with Suzuki USA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was said to me in a phone call by Suzuki USA in Brea, CA. I am waiting for e-mail confirmation which I have requested. Posted the same info on their Facebook page, on Facebook in the DL650 group, informed my selling dealer and the dealer in Ohio where I took the bike. I am retired, so I can afford the time. Since I am on the road in Ohio now, can't go to Brea, but it is right by my Triumph dealer, so will go there in August before I go to Laguna Seca for the races - Rolex Reunion - historic and antiques. I may not get crash bars replaced, but I am going to generate bad publicity worth more to me than the bars would be to them. This is a dumb move on their part, but so be it, they chose the route, not me.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,085 Posts
Two things come to mind.

1: Were they installed on the bike from the factory ie: was it the adventure model with side cases, Vario screen, handguards, and engine bars? If installed after purchase, there is usually no "factory" warranty. Sometimes there is a part warranty.

2: If this is a 2014 model, when was it put in service? If you have owned it for a year or more, there is NO factory warranty. If you have a Warranty, or were sold an extended warranty, it is probably simply an extended service plan. Which usually only covers drivetrain and some electrical components.

Sounds like yours is an Adventure model, but it does make a difference. If so, and it is less than one year since the warranty was put in force, you just need to push a couple more buttons as this should be covered.

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
Was just informed by Suzuki USA in Brea, CA that they would not cover my cracked by vibration (no impact, broke while on paved road) crash bar on a still under warranty 2014 DL650 Adventure model. Their position is that the "accessory bars" are not part of the actual bike. They inferred that also meant they would not warranty the luggage, luggage racks, etc. I will post the e-mail I requested during my phone call with them this morning.

why are you dealing directly with Suzuki of America rather than your dealer ?

sounds like the warranty claims writer at your dealer doesn't know how to request warranty claims

however, once the claim has been poisoned, good luck

I had Suzuki put a new mirror on my Vee cause once I hit 50-60 mph, one of the mirrors would not stay in adjustment no matter how much is was tightened, wasn't even broken

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was on road 2500 miles from home and went to nearest dealer - they had no success. Since warranty would be expired before I got home, I leveled up to Brea. It's right by my Triumph dealer, so knew where it was and they had a phone number, so I called it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes - 100% Adventure model with all that includes - the bags/boxes and mounts, the extra top piece added to the rear luggage rack, the crash bars/accessory bars, the windscreen, etc. Warranty is good until end of July according to Suzuki.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,085 Posts
When was the bike purchased?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had an experience with a Ducati some years back similar to yours. I purchased a Ducati branded accessorie which failed. They told me go away. Seems that Suzuki has the same policy. But by all means follow up with Suzuki USA.
Ducati is poison for warranty and customer service, I owned 3 of them and I had an issue on the newest one and they basically told me the get lost, hence the reason after 10 years I'm Back with Suzuki.
I will never buy another Ducati, after the way they talked to me.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I seem to hear this quite a bit, "My warranty was denied", for various reasons that never appear to be clearly defined by the manufacturer.

It escapes why these companies would not try to be more customer service oriented in this regard. Maybe in the past they could get away with it, but in the days of instant information (internet forums and youtube), all they do is lose sales.

Moreover, if there are manufacturers that go above and beyond for their customers, they will truly reap the benefits. Amazon and Revzilla, among others have proven that customer service will put you on top. While it costs them a bit more to do business sometimes, they are proof of what happens when you make customers happy. They flock to your door(or website).

I owned two Harleys and they both required warranty work, the first one six months after the warranty had expired for a starter. Harley stepped up to the plate and fixed my issues with no hassle, no questions and no cost. Maybe this explains why so many people continue to pay so much for Harley Davidson motorcycles in friggin' droves!

A little shout out to the rest of the motorcycle industry- "Hello, opportunity is banging on your door!" dumba$$.

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
I seem to hear this quite a bit, "My warranty was denied", for various reasons that never appear to be clearly defined by the manufacturer.
my observation is that the denial of warranty claims starts at the dealership with a poorly written claim request. What is happening is the dealership is not going to bat for the customer cause they make more money charging the customer than they would make from the manufacturer that has a set price for a particular repair

I firmly believe it is a dealership issue, and not a manufacturer issue.

·
Registered
659 Posts
"for add-on items" were these items added by the dealer /owner or were they on the bike when purchased new?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replies to the various questions - yes, all of these items were on the bike when purchased. Only item I added was a center stand, which dealer purchased and installed - was from Moose Racing. Bike was purchased in July of 2015 and picked up at dealer in August of 2015 and was still under warranty. My issue was when Suzuki in Brea told me they would not honor the Adventure items. The various steps I took were as follows - second phone call to Brea to ask if they really meant that "no" they had first said and to notify them verbally that I would take advantage of all consumer protection avenues offered by my state of residence and location of dealer where purchased. Notified of same using registered mail where I offered three solutions - one new 2014 bar on that side, a set of the 2015 bars on both sides if 2014 parts were exhausted or thirdly, them to issue a service credit to my dealer in the amount of $500 to remove the bad bars and replace with some other bars. Posted on the various owner's groups my issues with Suzuki USA, but always said the dealers were being supportive, as both of them were. Filed a request for mediation with the New Motor Vehicle Board Staff Counsel in California and received a case number and was assigned a mediator who contacted Suzuki USA on my behalf.

Today, I left the dealership here in Ohio with a set of the new-style 2015 year crash bars at no charge. I have no idea which part of what I did worked and no idea of what went on behind the scenes, but I have the new bars and am on way back to California in a day or so. My thanks to Pony PowerSports, Westerville, Ohio for the work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suzuki was probably thinking "Oh shit a lawyer with too much free time, give him what he wants so he goes away" :grin2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts