StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the title - this summer, here in Northern Virginia apparently, we are going to go through the cyclic every-17-year swarms of huge ugly slow giant Cicadas hatching and flying around this summer.

My Dumb question: I'm a SoCal transplant that moved to Northern Virginia back in '96, didn't have a bike with me here at the time, but saw just how massive the swarms were, and how HUGE, slow and stupid those bugs are. So I have to wonder, that running into a swarm of these things at any decent speed must be a horrible, messy and potentially very painful experience. What's the word from those of you who've been through this before with them, like back in '96?

Do we park the bike, ride slow and brush 'em aside, or just go blast through 'em and hose the bike and gear down thoroughly after each wash?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Been there done that! Luckily that a full face, front windshield and fairing are large enough to take the majority of them out, but they still hurt.

A friend of mine wasnt so lucky. He was wearing a brain bucket and had no windshield on his vstar. Laughed my butt off as i watched him try to duck and dodge with his head!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Loc ation, location. location.
I'll miss the whole thing out west. I do like hearing the buzzing of the insects when in the midwest though. That's what is neat about travel. Seeing and hearing stuff one may not get back home.
Long glow the Fire Flies!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Not long after I got here in Southern Maryland about 19 years ago, I got a used EX500. Couldnt spell cicada, never heard of them. Took one to the chest (was wearing my denim jacket) at 50. Was like hitting a marble.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Keep your mouth closed.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loc ation, location. location.
Yeah yeah yeah...rub it in, Mr. Pasadena. I was born in Pomona and we moved here from Mentone. Oh well, real purty riding in this state nevertheless.

Except for every 17 years maybe...we'll see. ;)

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Stoopy,
I heard the infestation doesn't last long. The bugs come out of the tree roots, screw, lay eggs and die. Hopefully you don't ride through a swarm of them on the way to work.
I've ridden through butterfly migrations crossing the desert. Everything gets a yucky yellow. I've ridden through swarms of bees and they make a mess too. I saw it coming and ducked behind the windscreen and only had time to say...Aw S-ht!...and it was over.
We were up in Richland Wa years ago during the may fly, or some such bug, did it's mating thing. One night only, in the morning there were huge piles of dead bugs at the base of all the light poles. Smelled bad too.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Been through two cyles at our current home. Critters are definately noisy and completly covered one tree in the yard. Kind of interesting to watch them morph into flyers. Have never ridden into a swarm or had to alter riding habits. Maybe just luck. :beatnik:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
A good coat of wax on the paint makes it easier to clean. I like a polymer sealant better than a real wax...RejeX is my favorite for the paint, windscreen, helmet, and face shield. 303 protectant on the black plastic is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts