StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That includes a car and a motorcycle. I was heading home from work monday when a brown chevy truck decided he wanted to be in my lane. I braked and the bike went down and I went flying. about two feet. We never touched but the guy who almost ran me over and the guy behind me thought we did. We inspected his truck and not a scratch. The CPH arrived and checked our licenses. I had a motorcycle endorsement which seemed to surprise him. He at this point asked me if I wanted a report filed. i said no because my insurance would go up. Because no contact was made it was deemed a no fault crash. I came out with a beat up helmet, bent shifter, broken turn signal, bent bar end, split lip, sore left hand, sore left hip and a headache. It sucks because the guy not paying attention goes on his way while I have to pay to repair/replace parts. I will post some pics over the next few days as I fix the bike. I spent last weekend setting the bike up for wind (the freeway had a "gusty winds" announcement) and the bike was handling great. I was wearing tourmaster boots, gloves, pants, hjc helmet and a first gear leather jacket. The helmet is being trashed. The gloves, pants, jacket have impact marks right where the armor is. If i was not ATGATT I'd have a broken jaw and minor road rash.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your incident. :( Another ATGATT story, imagine that. I had a broken jaw (athletic related) and it really sucks.

FWIW, as a very experienced lanesplitter (former full-time now part-time CA resident) I would HIGHLY recommend adding 3 things:
*Headlight modulator
*Dual function Hyper-Lites
*Stebel air-horn (or other horn upgrade)

As someone who rides 50,000+ miles annually I would not own a bike that did not have these three. IMHO, I need all the help I can get out there to be seen and heard. :!:

Lastly, I hope you don't take this the wrong way as my intention is not in the least trying to offend you or your riding skills... I'd suggest taking an Experienced Rider Course from the MSF. Sounds like overbraking may have been a factor for the loss of control with your bike (actually, misuse of brakes, specifically overbraking, accounts for most accidents) but honestly I make the same exact suggestion to those who are involved in an incident that was 100% not their fault and completely unavoidable. The ERC is a half-day session that can refocus you and, perhaps more importantly, your confidence. Either way I hope you heal fast and that you become an even better rider than you were this morning.

Respectfully,

Stromette

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I braked and the bike went down and I went flying. about two feet.
Sounds like you locked the front. I did the same thing twice in the first three weeks I owned the Vstrom. Coming off a 1978 CB750, I wasn't prepared for the huge increase in braking power.

·
Registered
199 Posts
huh

"asked me if I wanted a report filed. i said no because my insurance would go up." if it WAS HIS Fault HIS insurance would have piad for it not yours!!! Same thing happend to my dad, the other guys insurance company paid for everything, including the hospital bills..

·
Registered
982 Posts
"asked me if I wanted a report filed. i said no because my insurance would go up." if it WAS HIS Fault HIS insurance would have piad for it not yours!!! Same thing happend to my dad, the other guys insurance company paid for everything, including the hospital bills..
He might be living in a "no-fault" state where regardless of who's fault it is, your own insurance company provides compensation. I live in Florida and we have no-fault laws.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, but it could have been a whole lot worse. At least you are still here and able to write about your "Adventure".

I agree with Stromette in that a LOUD horn is a must for me simply to get the attention of people like that. We have a lot of them around here.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The driver came out of his truck talking about me riding "fast and furious" down the road. I had been sitting in the lane for about 15 seconds when he decided to change lane. The CHP main concern was if i had a motorcycle endorsement. At that point because no contact was made I just cut my loses.
I did lock the front wheel. What did me in was we were moving at no more then 25mph. Being there was traffic he jumped into my lane without looking. His movement was so sudden it was a matter of me not having enough space to let him pass. If this was at 40mph I would have braked and his speed would have stayed the same slipping right in front of me. He was braking because traffic was slowing down as he changed lanes. I was right at his rear rear wheel when this happened.

J

·
0 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about this. As strange as it my sound and I by no means condone it, I have had to take the law into my own hands to prevent from being a statisic. I carry .5" ball bearings in my pocket and have been known to toss a few over the shoulder. I have also resorted to brawling in the road. I have seeked help and do not carry firearms do to my personal profile by my choice. it has receeded some sinse I have gotten older. I am fed up as a rider, assholes on cell phones, cops not inforcing the laws until somebody dies. I am sorry for my attitude but I will contnue to be a drivers worse nightmare when I have been placed in a position that could lead to personal injury by someone other than myself. I wish in didn't have to be this way and I always excercise caution when riding and try to be nice. But as long as the lawyers continue to defend stupidity, assholes will continue to propogate the world.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The driver came out of his truck talking about me riding "fast and furious" down the road.
I'm glad you said that, because I got the impression that the driver of the truck didn't fully realize what he had done. Sometimes you just want to shake a person and tell them there's no such thing as a "fender bender" when it comes to a motorcycle. You're bike is in pieces, your body bruised, and because he didn't get any damage to his vehicle...he doesn't see what the problem is.

I commute 5 days a week, so I'm right there with you. Sometimes the traffic is tight and you can't get out of a blind spot fast enough. Get her back on the road and keep on rolling.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad you said that, because I got the impression that the driver of the truck didn't fully realize what he had done. Sometimes you just want to shake a person and tell them there's no such thing as a "fender bender" when it comes to a motorcycle. You're bike is in pieces, your body bruised, and because he didn't get any damage to his vehicle...he doesn't see what the problem is.

I commute 5 days a week, so I'm right there with you. Sometimes the traffic is tight and you can't get out of a blind spot fast enough. Get her back on the road and keep on rolling.
I'm with you. I'm taking the week off if I can stand the drive home today. Riding gives me a 1.25 hour commute and driving took 2 hours this morning. the drive home is 1.5 hours vs. 2.5 in a car.

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Sad news article.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003463811_blackberry06m.html

BlackBerry tapping causes car-crunching chain reaction on I-5
By Erik Lacitis

Seattle Times staff reporter

A Mercer Island man fiddling with his BlackBerry was cruising down Interstate 5's express lanes Tuesday morning in his minivan, oblivious that traffic ahead had come to a dead stop.

What happened next "could have been horribly tragic," said Washington State Patrol spokesman Jeff Merrill.

The 53-year-old man's minivan smashed into a car, setting off a chain reaction that included three other cars and a Community Transit bus, which was carrying 28 passengers.

No one was seriously injured, but the accident near downtown Seattle underscores the dangers of driving while preoccupied with electronic gadgets, other passengers and even "driver grooming," according to a state study.

"Most of our collisions are caused by inattention," Merrill said.

The driver of the first car rear-ended by the minivan was a 36-year-old Lake Forest Park woman whose 5-month-old son was in a car seat in the back seat.

The woman and her son were in satisfactory condition and staying overnight for observation at Harborview Medical Center, according to a spokeswoman.

In the first six months of this year, the state has compiled statistics on 57,000 vehicle collisions.

Drunken driving, excessive speed and drugs are among the usual culprits that contribute to 93.5 percent of all collisions in Washington.

The state this year is also tracking a list of 12 additional driver distractions that account for the remaining 6.5 percent.

Operating a handheld communications device — such as a cellphone or BlackBerry — is No. 5 on the new list.

The top 4 are: distractions outside the vehicle; unknown driver distraction; miscellaneous distractions inside the vehicle; and interacting with "passengers, animals or objects in the vehicle."

Operating a hands-free telecommunications device is No. 10, and operating devices such a laptop is No. 11.

Last on the list, at No. 12, is "driver grooming."

The hazards of driving while using a cellphone have not escaped the attention of lawmakers.

A report published in the summer 2006 issue of the journal Human Factors concluded, " ... the impairments associated with using a cellphone while driving can be as profound as those associated with driving while drunk."

In the last two years, the Legislature has considered a bill banning drivers from talking on handheld cellphones.

Washington, D.C., and states including Connecticut, New Jersey and New York already have such laws.

Merrill said troopers commonly observe drivers obviously distracted by their cellphones.

"You see them carrying on a very heated discussion on the telephone. You know by looking at them, and at their body language, and at their gesturing, that to a huge extent their attention is focused on the conversation they're having, rather than driving a car," Merrill said. "This is a very dangerous pastime."

For Merrill, there isn't much difference between driver impairment from using a cellphone or a BlackBerry.

"What's the difference, whether you're looking down at a cellphone number or a display on a BlackBerry?" he said.

Although the accident Tuesday morning caused no serious injuries, it disrupted southbound express-lane traffic heading into downtown Seattle for at least an hour.

The driver, who told troopers he'd been using his BlackBerry, was cited for following too closely, a $153 fine. His name was unavailable Tuesday.

Merrill said he understands the frustration of drivers stuck on the freeway.

"I'm sure it becomes quite frustrating for the public to know they're sitting there in a traffic jam caused by a guy using text messaging," he said.

"It's like running out of gas on one of the floating bridges. There is no excuse for that."

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
TurboDerek, glad to hear you survived an act of cager stupidity. Fix the bike and Ride On. As Stromette suggested, a headlite modulator can be a good thing for visibility. I have one plus a couple smaller yellow driving lites that are fairly noticable and are on all the time. Also have a Stebel air horn and brake lite modulator to install before spring. Most safety items are pretty cheap when you compare the alternative.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I agree with Stromette in that a LOUD horn is a must for me simply to get the attention of people like that. We have a lot of them around here.
Get two. They're cheap, and the combined output is theorectically 3db louder, perceived as twice as loud. I haven't put the sound level meter on mine yet, but it's one sweet loud sound and very effective at getting the preoccupied idiots back in their own lane.

Tom "audioguy" McGee

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the idea of a loud horn IF you can honk it. My situation was he driver changed lanes and used his turn signal at the same time. I did not have a chance to honk, brake, and clutch.

I hate to say it, but a louder exhaust seem to be a better option. I have driven this last 2 days to work and the cruisers with the loud exhaust can be noticed 2-3 seconds before they can be seen in your mirror. Most of the touring, sportbikes and dual-sport riding by at a safe speeds can only be heard once they pass you. I going to drill the stock exhaust or buy an after-market system to help with this.

Another thing I noticed was it was very easy for the bikes head lights to blend in with the cars. Bikes with full time amber running light were also very dim and did little to help. I'm going to pick up a set of hyperlights for the rear to help me blend in less with the tail lights of cars.

I'm thinking of picking up some amber LED/Neon to mount on some stock hand guards as running lights. http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/motorcycle-led-light/led-light.htm I hoping this along with a headlight Modulator will help define the shape of the bike when they view me in their mirror.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
+1 for pipes for lane-splitting... Sato, Remus, Two-Bros are my personal choice for LS duty.

I will be in your neck of the woods this Sat if you'd like to take a look at my Strom set-up.

Stromette

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be at the motorcycle show in long beach from 9:30am - 12:30pm. If you know what time you'll be rolling in I'll look for you.

+1 for pipes for lane-splitting... Sato, Remus, Two-Bros are my personal choice for LS duty.

I will be in your neck of the woods this Sat if you'd like to take a look at my Strom set-up.

Stromette

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I like the idea of a loud horn IF you can honk it. My situation was he driver changed lanes and used his turn signal at the same time. I did not have a chance to honk, brake, and clutch.
the rear to help me blend in less with the tail lights of cars.
I know exactly how you feel. Many times I have gone for the horn, but it's difficult to work all those switches/levers at the same time. I don't suppose you tried to signal a lane change too? :rolleyes:

After having thanked my lucky stars a couple of times, I trained myself to ride with my thumb on the horn switch. It feels awkward at first, but it has really saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Actually, when I bought the Strom, I was a little dissapointed at the awkward positioning of the horn, but I've got used to it now. Whenever I'm in traffic, my thumb's on the horn. No blind stabbing anymore. I've never had to pull the clutch once when I've been able to honk instantly. Sometimes I even honk just for fun. You can pull the brights at the same time, too.

I agree about the pipes, as well. They're on my list of mods.

Glad you're still alive. The more riders, the better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Stayin' alive (no reference to the BeeGees....)

TurboD,

Glad you're alive and functional. That's a very, good thing to be alive and functional.

I agree with the others on being really, really conspicuous.

I run the Kisan pathBlazer, Kisan tailBlazer, Run N Lites Lite Blazer, and I'm going for the killer horn this winter.

Some riders and non-riders alike argue the headlight modulator is too annoying to run in traffic. Well I'm a nice guy but if I have a choice between annoying someone a little or being a lot dead, guess which I'll choose!

I had some woman go off on me one day. She pulled over to the side of the road while I was stuck at a red light. She would not let it go. "Do you have any idea how annoying your light is?!" She kept screaming it. Finally I let her have it with both barrels.. "Not nearly as annoying as Democrats who drive Subarus.", I retorted. She suddenly looked stunned and I roosted of into the National Forest. Again I am a nice guy but there are so many unskilled, inattentive, murderous drivers on the road, I will do whatever I need to do to increase my odds of living to ride another day. Screw 'em. Set the pathBlazer for stun and proceed.

Ride well.

MW Valley

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I hear you. I also ride with my thumb parked over the horn button at least 90 percent of the time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts