StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I bought a bike from a dealer that is getting the title and tag from the DMV but in the meantime, I've decided to sell it before the title has arrived. I would just put it on hold and wait for the title but I really want to catch the object of my lust before it sells out from under me. Do you think anyone would take a bill of sale and the bike with my earnest promise to give them the title the day it arrives? Or is it pretty much like the preacher said in Blazing Saddles? (if you don't know, I can't quote it here, sorry)

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Yep, I bought a bike from a dealer that is getting the title and tag from the DMV but in the meantime, I've decided to sell it before the title has arrived. I would just put it on hold and wait for the title but I really want to catch the object of my lust before it sells out from under me. Do you think anyone would take a bill of sale and the bike with my earnest promise to give them the title the day it arrives? Or is it pretty much like the preacher said in Blazing Saddles? (if you don't know, I can't quote it here, sorry)
I've got some money, it's a large sum I had smuggled from my homeland by painting it black. When my special remover comes in it can be converted back to perfect currency. It's worth 5 million US dollars but you can have it for 1 million today and I'll get that special remover to you a week from our transaction. Think of how well you will live on a quick 4 million profit!!

Will you be bringing me the million or wiring it to me?

In reality there are instances of dirt bikes and ATV's that don't require titles with a bill of sale sufficing. However for any vehicle that requires a title that's a tough sell unless the person really knows and trusts you. That said the only way I would do it is if I can secure something of yours worth more than the bike until I get my title. Then, of course, you run the risk of me saying "What item" when you bring me my legal title. The shoe being on the other foot would you give a stranger something to hold on top of the strom worth say 6K to secure the title until you bring it? If your answer is no why should he do the same, cause if you don't bring the title he's out 6K or so right?

·
Registered
371 Posts
No title, no cash. Not only how I see it, but others also. Maybe you can put your transaction on hold while the title comes in, maybe not. Never know, the title might come in quicker then expected.

Not saying that anything bad would happen, but with out a title it is basically buying a bike that you do not own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're all correct. I guess I know that I sure as heck wouldn't take a bill of sale when I need a title. Just hoping for some ingenious solution, I suppose. I feel certain I'm too late to take advantage of it, but the DMV in my state (SC) will give you accelerated processing for twenty bucks, but I feel certain the dealer has sent the stuff in by now. I'll call them in the morning just to be sure. I guess in the meantime, all I can do is let folks look and feel if they like, knowing they can't take it home comfortably. Hopefully the title will show up soon. Then again, I may have had the only nibble (well, legitimate one) I'm going to have for awhile. I appreciate the Nigerian cash jokes but I really did get one of the scam messages today from a well known "marine officer" that wants to buy the "item" unseen and give it to his dad for a surprise. He wants to use paypal, so at least he has a new twist but a scam is a scam is a scam. I guess I was just shocked by it, as I've never received anything like that before, other than the usual Nigerian Prince type of thing. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Check your S.C. vehicle licensing office to find out if there is a way you can assign the right to receive that title to a buyer. If so, how will you convince the buyer that "the title is in the mail?"

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Go to the DMV with the person buying your bike. Have them look and see if you are now the legal owner of this vehicle. Then all you have to do is sign a release of interest and he can transfer it over right there.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Go to DMV yourself and have them search the title. In many states the new "owner" will not be able to register bike until title arrives ... A deal breaker!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I bought mine without the title because the seller owed the bank, the bank held the title until payment and could not release it the same day, and it was winter. But I felt the seller was honest (he was), and I got the title a week later in the mail. However, it was somewhat local and I had the bike, keys and a BOS. Any funny business, I would have just called the police. So it worked for me and under the right situation, I'd do it again if local.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thats the best thing -get a hold on the newer deal. In KY you can go to the state capital and walk one through instantly but in this case it is supposedly in process. In many states a vintage bike requires only a bill of sale or either one here in my state. If you are dealing with paypal the vampires do offer at least a buyer protection- un/fortunately its saved me some $$$ a couple of times on ebay deals.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Give the new deal like 200 to hold for a month on a signed reciept.

They will sell it anyway if they need to but it might slow them down.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bike from anyone I didn't personally know very well without a valid title. Not worth the headache if something goes wrong... and if something DOES go wrong here, you won't have the money to pay the buyer back, either.

What kind of object of lust is this, and is it definitely not going to wait for you to get your finances in order/receive a clean title?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't buy a bike from anyone I didn't personally know very well without a valid title. Not worth the headache if something goes wrong... and if something DOES go wrong here, you won't have the money to pay the buyer back, either.

What kind of object of lust is this, and is it definitely not going to wait for you to get your finances in order/receive a clean title?
I'm simply after another bike, nothing exotic or anything. There is good news, however. I learned from my state DMV site that they have an expedite service that should only take 3 to 5 days to get a title. I called the dealership that I bought from one week after the sale and they had not submitted the title paperwork. A GOOD thing in my case. They agreed to go ahead and do the expedite dealio so hopefully, I'll have my title sometime next week instead of later next month. (fingers firmly crossed)

O yeah, I love the name Superslomo. My nickname was Moe when I was drag racing an old Honda and sometimes I was also known as Superslomo, just like on the side of the old VHS machine boxes.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I'm another who handed over my cash and took physical possession of a bike without the benefit of legal possession conveyed by the title (though I did take a bill of sale, to be sure). Made even more risky because I had flown from Portland to San Diego to do it - I wasn't going to be local to follow up if things went wrong. In this case, the seller had paid off the load but was waiting for the loan company to process their paperwork and get it to the state to process their paperwork. I saw the statement from the loan company that the full payment had been made. The guy appeared to be trustworthy. So I went for it. Was I sweating for the next few weeks and especially on the ride back to Portland (Sorry officer, no I don't have title for this bike)? You bet, but the title eventually arrived and all is well.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Gotta confess I've had a few episodes of trusting complete strangers. Some have worked out, some involved pulling teeth, some I ate. Live and learn.

My last episode was a kid, early 20's stopped by the house on a friday while I was outside and inquired about my whitewater canoe stored outside, which was visable to traffic.

Since I hadn't used it for 2 seasons, I told him $600 ('bout half price of new). He said he'd like to have it foir the upcoming weekend but all he had on him was $500 and promised to come back. We loaded it up on his truck, he gave me the 500 and off he went.

My wife was sceptical, I said "we'll see". He showed up the next week with another 100. Good kid - I regret not remembering him name.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I once bought a bike (Honda NX650) with a bill of sale only as the Owner claimed it was his sons and was only used on thier property. All of this seemed "true" as they indeed lived on a large chunk of property (nice house), lighting had been removed from the bike, etc... He said that his son owned the bike for 6 or 7 years and filled out a complete and thorough Bill of Sale.

I brought the bill of sale in to the state to apply for a lost title. Paid the "fee" and was handed a plate.

One month later I receive a letter in the mail stating that the bike was still registered to someone else. :thumbdown::thumbdown:, but the State could not give me that persons phone number or address due to some silly "confidentially" clause. They did however give me his name, so I scoured the phone book and called everyone in it with the same last name... Thankfully, there were only 6 or 8 people to weed through.

On about the 3rd call, an old lady answered and said the man in question was her son. I briefly told her the story and she said that her son had a motorcycle stolen a few years earlier..... CRAP!!!! :thumbdown:

She gave me his phone number, and I called him and told him the story.
Turns out the bike was stolen 3 years earlier from his front yard. He still had the title and a bunch of parts. Then he tells me that he wants $500.00 for these things.....

I was stuck as in that month's time while I waited for the title, I installed lighting, re-upholstered the seat, new tires, bearings, tune-up, chain/sprockets, etc..

So in the end I ended up paying for the bike TWICE.

NEVER again will I buy a motorcycle without title unless I know the TRUE story behind "why" it doesn't have one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Expedited" title was the way to go...

You may or may not recall that I needed to sell a wee for which I had no title (yet.) Well, after a little study on the interwebz, I learned that for the mere fee of $20, my state (SC) has an expedite service that puts the title in your hand the same day! Now all I need is to find someone to buy that cute little wee. But thanks to all those that had input for me during that period. I guess that was what got me off me duff and got me to researching, which turned out rather well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts