StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know my problem is that my throttle cables are really tight when I turn to the right full lock. I can't twist my throttle at all when handlebars are full lock to the right. My bars are stock and I've got no bar risers either. I had bar risers for a week then realized I couldn't even get my bars to full right lock, do I had to take them off.

Anyone else with this problem??

I know many people have bar risers with stock cables? And there is no way I could do that with mine. I've looked at re-routing them and other options, it seems like I just need longer ones?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Check the routing all the way down to the throttle bodies. Could a previous owner have misrouted them or substituted different cables?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it's super snappy when the bars are at a full left lock, then you definitely have a routing issue.
If it's still tight when the bars are to the left, then chances are you might have a length issue.

Those are my best guesses :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the routing all the way down to the throttle bodies. Could a previous owner have misrouted them or substituted different cables?
I doubt it. He never did much besides change the oil and a couple add ons

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's super snappy when the bars are at a full left lock, then you definitely have a routing issue.
If it's still tight when the bars are to the left, then chances are you might have a length issue.

Those are my best guesses :beatnik:
The cables wrap around the front and come down the left side of the frame, which I assume is stock. So if I turn to the left the cables have plenty of slack.

I might need to pull the tank back off and see if I could route it better?

·
Registered
113 Posts
At work right now. I'll take a pic of my bike when I get back to it (if I remember). I know routing diagrams in the manual suck to look at. I think mine goes through the guides and then goes towards the inside of the right fork tube, but I could be wrong.

For whatever it's worth, I have a 1" riser on my bike before I got it. I'm guessing the PO did it without buying a new cable, but I could also be wrong on that. :biggrinjester:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I don't mean to be too flippant here, but you know there's adjustments on both ends of the throttle cables, right?

How they're routed won't affect your problem; whether they are the right length and adjusted properly will.

My guess: (at least) one of your cables is too tight.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mean to be too flippant here, but you know there's adjustments on both ends of the throttle cables, right?

How they're routed won't affect your problem; whether they are the right length and adjusted properly will.

I know there are adjustments, but they are really flipping tight for being on stock bars. Unless they have a couple of inches of adjustment in them I don't know that will work. Will have to see. My wee is my commuter, so I can't take it apart too far if I can't get it back together before the next morning. Hopefully one of these upcoming weekends I can take it apart and try to get the adjustment right or even see I that will help the problem.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

i just had another thought...if i start to adjust my cables does that throw the synchronization of the throttle bodies out? or are they attached to each other separate of the throttle cables?

oh, and SittingDuck, you weren't too flippant

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
\if i start to adjust my cables does that throw the synchronization of the throttle bodies out? or are they attached to each other separate of the throttle cables?
The latter is the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts