StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am looking to purchase a Vstrom 1000 in the next few months. I wanted to Jump in here and see if I can learn some good things. Looks like a great bike. I have a 1998 Goldwing and a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650. Love them both. I am sure I will love the Strom too. As soon as I figure out which one to get. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Drifter

·
Registered
186 Posts
Which Strom you want will depend on a variety of factors.
So, best thing you can do is go ride a few. One of each flavor.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Depending on what you want the V-Strom for, besides just wanting a new 1000 cc ride, don't rule out the 650 cc. See if you can arrange test rides to determine which one best suits you. You may be pleasantly surprised when comparing both. Good luck on whichever you decide on.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Really depends on what you are doing ...the Strom adds off pavement /dirt road capability to your stable.

Without luggage the 650 is very nimble, 100 lb lighter than the Burgman, better top end than the Burgman and with a bit of suspension tweak will handle the twists just as well.
Suspension sits between the two and can be dialled in nicely to suit your riding needs.

The Wee will give you very long range on a tank of fuel ...something the Burgman lacks and also very long tire life with certain tire choices of which there are far more.

I'm curious as to the 1000 choice since you already have the grunt of the Wing and the Burgman is no slouch off the line either.

I'd think lighter weight/long range of the Wee with an eye off pavement exploring would appeal more than the heavier weight, lower fuel range of the the 1,000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I am thinking more power, a little bit heavier for stability for the 1000. I had a KLR 650 that I wasn't really satisfied with. It was a great bike but very lightweight. It hurt my back and was not comfortable for me.
I am more of a paved and unpaved road rider than a trail rider, Hence choosing the V strom.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I agree: don't discount the DL650. I think the order of refinement and goodness goes something like this:

2014+ DL1000
2012+ DL 650
2004+ DL 650
Any DL1000 prior to 2014. ( I have no idea how good the 2017 and newer dl650 will be or the 2018 dl1000 they sound amazing )

While the 2014+ DL1000 is an incredible bike the 2012 DL650 is an incredible ride as well, not as much power as the 1000 but enough just the same and a very refined motor/tranny and a blast to ride.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
A properly setup DL650 is very stable. Not meaning that it doesn't feel sudden gusts etc, but that if you let it the bike will self stabilize and continue on its way. I have this weird habit of letting go of the handlebars and enjoying how the bike stabilizes itself. I still love doing the same on my DL1000.

..Tom

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
I would be sure to go with a Gen 2+ of either. The 2012+ of the 650 or the 2014+ of the 1000. The changes from the Gen 1 to Gen 2 of the 1000 are especially significant.

I see I just duplicated information. lol

I live in nearly continuous hills and twisties and I find the 1000 a bit easier with the additional power than the 650 was. Less shifting, etc. Both are great. Passing at interstate speeds is the same deal - especially on some of the long rises.

I have a Honda PCX for camping but the Bergman is really nice.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hello all, I am looking to purchase a Vstrom 1000 in the next few months. I wanted to Jump in here and see if I can learn some good things. Looks like a great bike. I have a 1998 Goldwing and a 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650. Love them both. I am sure I will love the Strom too. As soon as I figure out which one to get. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Drifter

There's a guy on here from Nashville with a 2015 650 with nice farkles for $4500. It has been dealer serviced too.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/360290-2015-suzuki-dl650-tennessee-$4500.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I choose a 2014 DL1000, had 8000 miles, new tires and an oil change and had a Moose racing top box. Took it to my dealer and he did the recall. S0 far I've added, Moose racing pannier racks and Tusk panniers. I'm now in the process of adding an LED brake light on the back of the top box and extra LED turn signals on the back of the panniers. Next will be Engine guards and a skid plate. I try to do a few dirt roads around here. Hope to hit some mountain roads in New Mexico. Thank you all for the help.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Well, I choose a 2014 DL1000, had 8000 miles, new tires and an oil change and had a Moose racing top box. Took it to my dealer and he did the recall. S0 far I've added, Moose racing pannier racks and Tusk panniers. I'm now in the process of adding an LED brake light on the back of the top box and extra LED turn signals on the back of the panniers. Next will be Engine guards and a skid plate. I try to do a few dirt roads around here. Hope to hit some mountain roads in New Mexico. Thank you all for the help.
IMO - GREAT CHOICE.

Powerful engine, smooth suspension, powerful brakes, ABS and traction control. What's not to like. I own a 2014 V2. My favorite bike (to date) with zero issues.

Enjoy it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts