StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 wee w 58,000k , kickstand broke over a year ago , had it re welded.. seems loose, wobbly, floppy, not tight.. needs repair.
I often drag the side stand when riding aggressively.. the foot is dented :yikes:

Been having intermittent starting problems, usually a nudge to the stand cured the problem.. well now it's not working at all.. no clicking, head lights go dim when starter button is depressed.. Fuel pump comes on, Bike runs when bumped off, clutch switch seems intact and plugged in, side stand switch is depressed when stand is retracted but not always fully?? checked fuses, 10a ignition and 30a main were fine

Had to bump start the bike 5 times today to get home, after a 90 mile ride home I pulled up in the driveway and instead of turning the key to shut off the bike I lowered the stand.. bike cut off as it should, I then raised the stand and the starter worked.. TWICE, went inside, opened garage door and same no start situation.. Dont see any "CHEC" in the gauge cluster

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Without a CHEC, the sidestand switch is not the problem. If it was, you couldn't bump start it either. Concentrate on the starter button switch and clutch switch. You can connect the wires to the clutch switch to bypass it for troubleshooting purposes. In fact, since you have a pre 2007 Wee, you can leave them connected if you're willing to give up the safety cutout.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Think simplicity

Remember Occams razor? The simlpest explanation is most often correct. I'd check the battery connections first then the battery for charge. You may save some time & money.

·
38,104 Posts
Simple still has to fit the symptoms. No clicking means the starter relay isn't being fed. Lights but no click takes the battery and its connections off the suspect list.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Headlights going dim when starter button depressed would lead me to checking my connections first. Bad battery connection and grounds would get cleaned first IMO and then look at the starter switch and other items down the line.

·
38,104 Posts
2005 and later models have a headlight cutout in the starter switch. When the starter switch is pressed, the headlights go out to provide more power to the starter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Starter switch or clutch interlock. Disconnect clutch switch connector. Use a paper clip to jump the 2 wires in the connector and try it. If it works, you have a faulty clutch interlock switch/connection. If not, it's most likely the starter switch itself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
its been intermittent, coincidentally I adjusted the clutch during my ride..

Just disconnected the clutch switch, pulled the lever back and lubed the area with Teflon spray , reconnected it and it is starting.. for now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts