StromTrooper banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
There is a section in the back of my Harley book for recording maintance.

I have always bought the service manual for every vehicle I've owned and pass them on to the new buyer when I sell one.

PS. moderator, please do not ban me. I own a Wee also, as a matter of fact on my second one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
And what happen if you do your maintenance yourself?
Depends are you asking about warranty or resale.

As long as you document that the service was done, for warranty coverage nothing.
The law in the USA says for a warranty to be valid all that is needed is a record that the maintenance was done.
Simply writing down mileage, date, and what was done is all that is needed. You don't even have to keep receipts.
But as always the more proof that maintenance was done the better.

That may be a whole different story in a private sale the buyer may or may not believe you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently sold a Triumph Trophy I bought new in 94 and in later years I did a lot of the maintenance myself ,any thing I couldn't do
it went to the bike shop.I had the 2 original books that came with the bike,owners manual and service book,and i wrote everything I did to the bike in the service book.The bloke who bought the bike was happy to have it.I just bought an 04 Vstrom which came with no service record but low k's so I changed all the fluids,installed the new chain and sprockets which came with the bike and will document all that I do to it just so I know when it was done.I cant rely on memory now,it was much better 50 years ago.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Last year I had a warranty claim on my V2 (ironically, ECU replacement which is being done worldwide now). They would only honor the warranty if I could prove I did the regular maintenance (which I did myself), and the proof required was just receipts for oil and filters. Apparently they put no stock in something just being written down. Of course, just because I purchased oil and filters doesn't mean I actually used it on that bike, but they didn't seem to care.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts