StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the excitement of taking delivery of my new Wee, I’ve only just realised that apart from copies of my owners handbook and a single ‘battery check’ A5 sized sheet, I haven’t been given any type of service booklet.
This is the booklet that lists your service intervals with a list of what needs to be checked.
Normally the dealer will stamp these as and when they are done as a record for any warranty claims, or as proof of good maintenance for future owners ( the ‘full service history’ quote when you try to sell your bike).
Before I phone my dealer, may I ask new owners, ‘ DID YOU ALL GET A SERVICE BOOK?’
If anyone can post a picture on here do I can show to my dealer that would be helpful.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,960 Posts
Never a service manual comes with bikes, just the owners manual.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
No service tracking book. I've never had one with a bike. There is a service schedule in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Received one here in Australia.

its just a generic Suzuki branded booklet for their entire range with places to stamp at each service.

If you need a photo let me know and i'll take one

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No service tracking book. I've never had one with a bike. There is a service schedule in the owner's manual.

Are you kidding me? Seriously?
Every car I’ve ever owned had one. It’s the FIRST thing a potential buyer will ask for, ‘Does the vehicle have full service history?’
It’s a VITAL document.
What happens if you have a warranty claim and you can’t prove the bike has been correctly serviced?
I’m FLABBERGASTED!

Edit - Suzuki Philippines have just confirmed they DON’T issue them !

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received one here in Australia.

its just a generic Suzuki branded booklet for their entire range with places to stamp at each service.

If you need a photo let me know and i'll take one

Yes please. Take a picture . Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It sounds like different countries have different policies.

·
Administrator
5,557 Posts
My older DL650 came with two separate books, one a service record manual but my 2017 Kawasaki, also from the Philippines, has pages for servicing records in the rear pages of the owners manual. Have a look there.
Like LoloPD I would be astounded if they did not cater for such records. :confused:

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
Service history... All I have to do is call my dealer, and they can spit me out a report, detailing every routine maintenance, repair, how many quarts of oil, what brand, viscosity, how many spark plugs, tires, brake pads, fluid flushes, anything you want to know...... the only thing it won't tell you is how many tanks of fuel

does a stamp in a service manual really tell you the service history ?

·
Administrator
13,490 Posts
Every car I’ve ever owned had one. It’s the FIRST thing a potential buyer will ask for, ‘Does the vehicle have full service history?’
It’s a VITAL document.
What happens if you have a warranty claim and you can’t prove the bike has been correctly serviced?
I’m FLABBERGASTED!

Edit - Suzuki Philippines have just confirmed they DON’T issue them !
I have been in the Auto Industry since 1981 (VW and Audi from 1981 until 1995, Porsche since then.) All owners' Manuals are gradually disappearing as more and more information is provided with in-car screens and online. Most clients don't look at or read the manuals in any event. Cars give service reminders which is about all that most clients care about. As has been mentioned previously all the records are online and dealerships can easily spit out all the service history of a vehicle. Over the next few years it also is likely you will be able to access all the service history data in your vehicle and the vehicles will be able to book the service appointments if you want (and will send diagnostic data to the manufacturer if problems are detected.)

(BTW I still like paper manuals, brochures, etc.)

..Tom

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Some of us go through 100's of thousands of miles with very shoddy records. I did the record thing when I first started driving.
After a few years the novelty wore off. The BMW owner's manual has the pages for the dealer service to record the stamp.
Scary thing is later when you start to add up all those service expenses.

·
Administrator
16,960 Posts
I just have a spreadsheet for what I do, if that isn't good enough for whomever wants to buy it........then oh well. :) Going by the book on these bikes is complete overkill IMHO, but do what you must to sleep well. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Service history... All I have to do is call my dealer, and they can spit me out a report, detailing every routine maintenance, repair, how many quarts of oil, what brand, viscosity, how many spark plugs, tires, brake pads, fluid flushes, anything you want to know...... the only thing it won't tell you is how many tanks of fuel

does a stamp in a service manual really tell you the service history ?

Very good if you live in the small % of the world with a decent reliable internet, but I challenge you to do that in Philippines where I am, or Indonesia, or Thailand or anywhere else in the majority of the world who aren’t so fortunate!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I usually make my own page in the owners manual for keeping records. Mainly oil changes so I can keep track of when it's due, and tires so I can tell how long various ones last. Also brake pads, plugs, chain/sprockets, and coolant. These bikes are so reliable the log doesn't get much more in it.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
Very good if you live in the small % of the world with a decent reliable internet, but I challenge you to do that in Philippines where I am, or Indonesia, or Thailand or anywhere else in the majority of the world who aren’t so fortunate!

I am confused as to why you think the internet has anything to do with a dealer printing out a service history

·
Administrator
5,557 Posts
As I do most of my regular servicing myself for my bikes and Jeep I feel the need to keep records to maximise my future trade-in value. It also enables me to keep track of when various servicing is due.
Regular servicing is no problem to me, and minor repairs as well. I only go to the dealer for recall/major work etc. Otherwise I just end up walking around town, having coffee or reading a magazine while paying someone to do what I can do myself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It’s a VITAL document.
I have never had a book like that for any vehicle. In fact, until reading this thread, I didn`t even know they existed!

As far as warranty claims, most people I know who buy new vehicles save all their receipts and keep a list either on paper or on a computer and then it would be up to the manufacturer to prove the list is false rather than the owner needing to prove it true. My understanding, anyway- only one of the dozen or more vehicles I have owned in my life have been new enough to still be under warranty, so I don`t pay much attention to such things.

As for "proving" to a possible buyer that the vehicle has been properly maintained, pretty much the same thing. And in that respect I also have very little interest since the junk yard is where most of my vehicles go when I`m done with them (if it ain`t dead yet, no reason for me to get rid of it!) and they really don`t care about service life.

Bottom line, nothing to be astounded about, just different customs for different places I guess. Anyway, I hope you find something that suits your own purposes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone who’s never seen one or doesn’t believe they exist....

·
Administrator
16,960 Posts
Looks like a bunch of car maintenance book logs, not motorcycles. Yes we are aware they exist for cars, but they seem to be a unicorn for motorcycles in most of the world.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So, this might be a little off topic, but I use Fuel Buddy to track all of my maintenance along with my gas logs.

It has a decent maintenance entry system and I can add custom fields if needed.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts