StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased (for a good deal) an '07 650 from my cousin who hasn't ridden it for the past two years. There was even fuel in the tank from 2 years ago.

After replacing the battery and an oil change, the bike started right up. I pumped the tires up and took it out for a ride. It was great. No problems.

I have been riding it for the past few weeks now with no problems until today. On my way home from work, I was doing about 65 on the back roads. I was going up a long hill (Central PA) and decided to give it a little more throttle. I noticed that no matter how much throttle I gave it never went beyond 5K rpm (speed was slowly coming down because of the uphill). On the downhill, samething--> couldn't go beyond 5k rpm but speed went close to 72.

After a few more hills of doing this, I was on a flat road. Now when I gave some throttle, The bike started slowing down.:jawdrop:when i relaxed the throttle, the bike accelerated back up to 55mph. When I gave it more throttle, the bike would slow down and when i relaxed on the throttle and got to a certain point, the bike would speed back up to 55. Ofcourse, when i relax further, the bike slowed down. This happened in 6th gear. I tried it in other gears and had a similar result but peaked out a different speeds.

It was almost although the engine was not getting the fuel to burn. The fuel level was full. Filled it up two days ago.

I have no idea what could be causing this. Is there something that I should be checking? What can I do to fix it? Should I have done more repair/rebuild work before taking the bike out? Please help........

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yes, it sounds very like fuel starvation. If the system is blocking from sludge and varnish then a fuel system cleaner MIGHT help (all the Yanks rave about this Seafoam stuff so you might give that a try). If the filter is blocked with heavy silt/debris/rust then it will have to be cleaned or replaced. If the pump has gone south it will need to be replaced ... and ouch!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently purchased (for a good deal) an '07 650 from my cousin who hasn't ridden it for the past two years. There was even fuel in the tank from 2 years ago.

QUOTE]

I think you answered your own question...fuel left in for 2 years was varnish and all you did by cranking and riding it was let it go right into the fuel system

Go fill the tank 1/2 way with hi-test and add about 1/2 can of Sea Foam...and flush it out.....

From a Yank...Heeheee!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts