StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike broke down after the first hour of a road trip to NC. Luckily I found a place to store it until later, but I want to be proactive getting some repair advice. I'm going to tackle it when I get home.

Summary:
- 2007 dl1000
- Lost all electrical power after shutting off at rest stop. No lights, no nothing.
- Rolled bike to auto shop next door, they help me diagnose
- Battery checked out with good voltage
- Pulled the small fuses, all we're good
- Large 30A fuse was blown. Replaced with spare, it immediately blew when I reconnected the battery.
- Wrapped the exposed terminals near the 30A fuse in case they had shorted on the frame, hooked up the battery first, blew another fuse after turning on the kill switch

Electrical work is like heiroglyphics to me. I am completely unfamiliar with what the components are called. However, I guess now's the time to learn.

- What would be the most likely candidate? Or easy thing to check first?
- Shop guy said the 30A fuse blowing but not the smaller ones point to something like the stator or something larger. Sound right?
- Can anyone point me to a useful thread or YouTube video that walks me through troubleshooting or how to look for shorts? Or maybe a reference to what certain voltages should be across certain elements?
- Is this a "take it to the shop" problem?

I think people have referenced a stator recall? I don't know if I've had it done or even if it includes my year.

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts
First thing is to get a schematic and look at the circuit that is protected by that 30a fuse. Something is shorted to ground, and by following the schematic you will find all the connections, etc., that are associated with that circuit.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
There have been posts of abraded and or burnt wires that get shorted. May have to remove the tank and plastic to get at the wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
What Loco said. Really need a DL1000 schematic or access to one to be sure.

The DL650 K4 schematic I have shows the Wee's 30A fuse with the starter, starter relay, and associated interlocks, BUT the DL1000 might be different.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It could be (and probably is) an abraded wiring harness as @notacop suggested. However, a shorted regulator/rectifier (R/R) could explain the symptoms too and easier to rule out. Step one is to unplug the connector to the R/R to take it and the stator out of the circuit. If that fixes the fuse blowing then its probably a shorted R/R, I've never heard of shorted stator wires causing the main fuse to blow but I could be wrong so measure the stator for resistance and shorts to be sure to rule that out. If it still blows the fuse with the R/R disconnected then start looking for harness abrasions (which, unfortunately can be difficult to find). I'm not sure where the R/R is on a DL1000 and I think it moved around a bit on the early models so maybe someone else can advise.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all. I'll start to check it out when I'm back. I appreciate all the support. I'll try to come back to this thread with questions as I learn things.

So far I'll try to check first for:
- short in the R/R
- short in the ignition

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Thanks, all. I'll start to check it out when I'm back. I appreciate all the support. I'll try to come back to this thread with questions as I learn things.

So far I'll try to check first for:
- short in the R/R
- short in the ignition

First I would inspect carefully for abrasion and damage somewhere in the wiring harness. You'll need to raise or remove the tupperware and tank to get eyes on everything. Also check all the connectors for corrosion, damage, burning, etc.; there's a connector under the left fairing "cheek" that corrodes and fails on pretty much every V-Strom, but the usual symptom is sudden loss of headlights.

If there's any added wiring or anything non-stock, these are usually prime suspects, but it does happen that the stock harness gets installed wrong, or someone moves or damages something during servicing. The spaces available are very small.

This shouldn't require any "wizardry", just eyes and fingers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
remember your first problem was the bike dying so look for that cause first. Inspect the reg/rec and stator considering the first thing that happened was you lost power. That means the bike was not charging the system and caused the main issue or when the offending part when bad it caused the short which blew the 30A. Other than the fuse issue, my buddy just had the same thing with the bike dying out of nowhere. it was his stator. I have a feeling your issue is contained within one of these 2 parts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keeping in mind that the issue happened when I turned on the ignition and hit the starter button, would that lead to the stator or the ignition or something else most likely being shorted?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Omgyouresexy,

In the Summary section of your post, fourth item down, you wrote:

“Battery checked out with good voltage”

Did the battery check out with good voltage without being charged by the shop?

When the 30 amp fuse blew after turning turning on the kill switch was the ignition switch on?

After you stopped at the rest stop did you take off the seat to get something and possibly jostle a wire?

I’m just trying to apply logic to think through where your problem may lie.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hello all!
I took a look at my wiring diagram, and here is something to look at. You say as soon the battery is connected the 30A fuse pops. If this is the main fuse on the starter relay, the battery powers it through the starter motor positive battery cable post terminal, then a Black/Red wire leaves the starter relay and ends at the ignition switch. Which then powers all ignition-on circuits. So( based on what has been posted here), I would disconnect the ignition switch electrical connector. Instead of popping fuses or playing with a headlight, I use a 30A circuit breaker in place of the main fuse. If it clicks on and off with the battery connected, you have a dead short in the wire harness or a wire shorted to ground between the starter relay and the disconnected ignition switch. If the short is eliminated by disconnecting the ignition switch there is a switch issue. Rotate the bars back and forth and inspect the wire harness at the steering head.
Look closely at the ignition switch connector as well. Black/Red= B/R= Black wire with red tracer stripe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts