StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Princess Auto had this wonderful device on sales $ 100.00 offf...so after 40 years of changing my oil on my hands and knees.. I now have a lift..

Awesome.. early Christmas prsent to myself..

cheers

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
That looks really nice.

It holds the bike from the front tire, and you lean it on the side stand. Am I right?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That's exactly the problem. A table lift works much better if a ride in front tire chock is added to replace the tire clamp. Otherwise, one person safely getting the bike on the lift is difficult. The side stand foot dangles over the side rail of the lift when the bike is centered.

001 by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
That's exactly the problem. A table lift works much better if a ride in front tire chock is added to replace the tire clamp. Otherwise, one person safely getting the bike on the lift is difficult. The side stand foot dangles over the side rail of the lift when the bike is centered.
I think I have the same table as yours GW (Harbor Freight?) I like the wheel chock idea. I think I would use mine more if I could load the bike on the table myself without the fear of dropping it. Which chock did you use? It looks like you don't need any tie-downs to hold the bike when using that chock, correct?

It also appears that the ramp is attached to the table. Mine is not attached and needs to be removed before raising the table. Am I missing something, or did you do something to attach your ramp to the table? (Or is it just dangling precariously?)

I've had my bike up on the table all week doing winter maintenance and mods. It makes a huge difference vs working on the cold concrete floor! Now I'm wishing I had the front wheel chock and the compressed air version instead of the foot pump! :headbang:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Mine is HF too. The ramp had pin welded on each side but the setup allowed removal. I just never do. That may be why one pin broke off and had to be replaced by a nut and bolt. I got a very expensive Condor chock but HF now has something that looks nearly the same for a lot less money.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Mine is HF too. The ramp had pin welded on each side but the setup allowed removal. I just never do. That may be why one pin broke off and had to be replaced by a nut and bolt. I got a very expensive Condor chock but HF now has something that looks nearly the same for a lot less money.
I thought that looked like the Condor chock...very nice but a little spendy. I doubt the HF chock is the same quality, but if it's a lot less money then it's probably worth it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a Bike Master chock. Very nice quality and function @ $149 msrp. Bike Master is sold by Tucker Rocky. Any local dealer or e-tailer can order it. I paid a lot less.

Search results for: 'wheel chock'

·
Registered
323 Posts
Princess Auto had this wonderful device on sales $ 100.00 offf...so after 40 years of changing my oil on my hands and knees.. I now have a lift..

Awesome.. early Christmas prsent to myself..

cheers

Gary
I picked one up this earlier this year (mines red). I was in the middle of building my garage and had it stored in my crappy caravan for 2 months. The garage is finished now and also looking forward to using it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I thought that looked like the Condor chock...very nice but a little spendy. I doubt the HF chock is the same quality, but if it's a lot less money then it's probably worth it.
High quality chocks are meant to deal with the forces generated while towing your bike on a trailer, that kind of quality is not needed to hold it steady on a lift. I would go cheap cheap like a bird.... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Some guys make it look easy to put the bike on the rack, others like me would be using a hoist from the rafters to pick up the fallen carcass. I've been offered one before but declined.
I'll crawl around on the floor, thank you very much.
Besides, I can sit in my Sears swivel chair and work on the engine while it's on the floor on the center stand.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Check eBay for coupons for the Harbor Freight lift. $5 gets you a coupon to buy at $319.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A more expensive option

Like Gobear I got tired (and sore) of squatting or lying down on the cold concrete floor to do maintenance or instal farkles. :bom_sick:
I ordered a Pro-Cycle Drop Tail from Direct Lift and went all out and got the side extensions (a la ATV style) and ramps. It was a bit of a production to get it home from the local warehouse it was delivered to. I needed two muscular friends to get the main piece off my utility trailer and into the garage. It's a pneumatic operation running off a second hose from my shop-size compressor. I couldn't be more happy with it. $1,548 CAD all-in. Good money well spent. :thumbup:

I like the idea of replacing the tire clamp with a proper chock. Maybe, in the future. I got to pay for the lift first. :bom_sad3:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the same exact model of ProCycle as you, Ol_Baldy.

There is no reason to replace the tire clamp.

It will fit either the front or rear tire and hold the bike securely.

Spend the money on a roll around cart with drawers. You'll need it to pick up all of the tools and other debris that collect on the surface of your table.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts