StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some routine winter maintenance today and when I took the air filter cover off there was quite a collection of insects in there.There were bees,flies and even big ass dragon flies.I should have taken a picture.I have also heard of mice making nests in there during the off season.I figured I might try to do something to prevent this.
I pried the screen off the old air filter.
Then I cut and formed a piece of it into a cover for the air intake tube.
I then placed it over the snorkel and sealed it with some silicone and viola no more bugs in my filter.
I sprayed it with silicone spray to keep the bugs from sticking to it.
Hopefully it won't impede the air flow and she runs as good as ever.time will tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I've considered that, but I decided that the likelihood of the secondary screen becoming occluded was substantially non-zero, and the consequences of that far outweighed the negligible effect of some bugs inside the airbox.

The filter is fan-shaped, precisely so that large objects are not able to block airflow effectively. A flat screen will encourage accumulation of debris and will thus be easily clogged.

I think a screen upwind of the filter is therefore counterproductive and unnecessary, so I discarded the idea.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've considered that, but I decided that the likelihood of the secondary screen becoming occluded was substantially non-zero, and the consequences of that far outweighed the negligible effect of some bugs inside the airbox.

The filter is fan-shaped, precisely so that large objects are not able to block airflow effectively. A flat screen will encourage accumulation of debris and will thus be easily clogged.

I think a screen upwind of the filter is therefore counterproductive and unnecessary, so I discarded the idea.
Thanks your post makes perfect sense. I really didn't think this thing through.Good thing the filter is still accessible. I think the screen will be coming off tomorrow and I will chalk it up as another one of my DFI's.:headbang:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I will chalk it up as another one of my DFI's.:headbang:
I've had more than my share, some of which have undoubtedly not yet been recognized as such. :beatnik:

I should also amend my statement about the filter shape: the "fan" surface provides far more surface area than a flat one, and extends its life. Its ability to resist being clogged by Large Things may be a side benefit of the design. Either way, somebody smarter than me has already thought this through, so I decided against the modification. :biggrinjester:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
It might still have value denying access to homeless mice.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The filter change also gives on an archaeological dig of ones travels. Wonderful memories in bug carcass.
LOL I sure am glad the dragon fly ended up in the filter and didn't smack me in the face.I usually ride with my visor up....one of these days I am going to regret that.

The screen came off this morning.:yesnod:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
The filter change also gives on an archaeological dig of ones travels. Wonderful memories in bug carcass.
I saw a crime show once where a fellow was supposedly visiting in Ohio/Chicago or some such place when his wife was murdered in California. They were able to find his rental car and extract bugs from the radiator showing it had crossed the Rockies, where it had never officially been. Sufficient undocumented time and some video of his brother making some alibi CC purchases did him in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts