StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to give credit where credit is due... MightyShep gave me the info I needed to get rid of the rack vibration problems I was having, seen in this thread... http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10003

Here is the results. It's the Universal Rack from Givi part# E250.
The top half of the amotostuff rack is removed. Long story short, that top half was vibrating so badly it was getting stress cracks straight through the aluminum. That part is replaced by the Givi part. Mounting the givi plate to the amotostuff plate, rather than mounting the givi directly to the strom rack, allows you to have some forward/backward mounting options for your top box. Just like the reason for having the amotostuff rack in the first place. I found the givi rack at my local bmw parts dept. Everything you need comes with it and it cost me $79. Which is a bummer since the amotostuff rack is faulty IMHO. MightShep had the exact same problems I did and his rack cracked as well. I might have to call amotostuff about this, even though I've had the rack for at least 6 months now. It just took me forever to diagnose where the vibrations were coming from. Someone else had mentioned that it was the unused embedded nuts in the top portion of the rack, but removing them didn't solve the problem. But no it's as quiet as a mouse again! Woot! Thanks, MightyShep! :cool:

Here's some pics of the new setup.

Bigger pics here...
http://d2creative.smugmug.com/photos/138141529-O.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Did you the cover on the Givi plate after the photos were taken?
My cover vibrated so badly at 5000 RPM that a person riding beside me could hear it so I ended up removing it.
You could only hear the vibration when the top box was not fitted. I think the base of the box stopped the cover vibrating.

·
Registered
383 Posts
D2, just out of curiosity, as I was following the thread with great interest, could you accomplish the same thing (to avoid the problems you had) by buying their (amotostuff's) rear rack without the adjustable givi plate and then putting the E528 plate on it? Because thats pretty much what you did right?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D2, just out of curiosity, as I was following the thread with great interest, could you accomplish the same thing (to avoid the problems you had) by buying their (amotostuff's) rear rack without the adjustable givi plate and then putting the E528 plate on it? Because thats pretty much what you did right?
Ya, that's exactly what I ended up with.
Now i have the upper adjustable part, with stress cracks sitting on my work bench. :???:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Live and learn. In a convoluted way, I have to thank you for your thread though since it has saved me some $ though, sorry it put you out....Glad I hadn't ordered the adjustable plate yet!

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Not with the Givi box on top of it. I never ride without the box so I don't know if it vibrates that way. The cover is screwed down though, with the 4 supplied phillips screws.
Mine was the same (screwed down) but at 5000RPM without the top box (even standing still) it sounded like a buzz saw.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine was the same (screwed down) but at 5000RPM without the top box (even standing still) it sounded like a buzz saw.
Yeah, I believe it. I mean if the top rack was vibrating that bad, why wouldn't anything else back there. I wonder if this is why the oem strom rack is supplied with that rubber pad? I was talking to the guys servicing my bike today and they thought the amotostuff rack might benefit from some rubber mounts. Maybe big rubber gromets or something at the 4 points where the rack bolts to the strom. I might look into something like that...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine vibrates like a bastard with or without the rack. Has someone given feedback to Amotostuff about this? I'll be investing in that pretty soon because it drives me apeshit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
d2mini,
I have the exact same setup. I've heard mine vibrate between 4500 and 5500 rpm without the E52 box on top. Could you post some pics of the stress cracks that developed? Or describe the crack location?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Topcase mount was redisgned last year to eliminate the floating nut (vibrating parts) and the extra nuts in the top plate for the Monolock Adapter plate were also removed. If you have a topcase plate with the floating nuts in it, contact us as there is an easy fix for it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Topcase mount was redisgned last year to eliminate the floating nut (vibrating parts) and the extra nuts in the top plate for the Monolock Adapter plate were also removed. If you have a topcase plate with the floating nuts in it, contact us as there is an easy fix for it.
I'm not 100% sure about that. Mine's less than a year old and doesn't seem to have any floating nuts, just welded ones, and from what it looks like the vibration isn't nuts or something, but the metal sheet of the plate itself. To illustrate, mine moves like the attached pic (less exaggerated of course), which is a little scary for a burly aluminun plate. I think that's the source of the buzz. I'll poke around in case there's other nuts in there vibrating and contact you.

I think apart from the nut problem, there's some magic measurement in the design of the plate that sets up a resonant vibration at 3500-5000 RPMs. It creates a standing wave sort of effect with about a 3/4" amplitude in the plate, to the extent that the plate become a blur. (see pic)

BTW: the product, while imperfect, is still very awesome. I love the lower rack part with the strap slots especially.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Chad, thanks for replying in this Stromtrooper forum. It seems rare that a supplier will contribute to a discussion where concerns about a product are the subject.

I received my amotostuff top case rack earlier this year. So, it is probably the redesigned version. I have a Givi E52 case on it.

On a rare occasion of riding my weestrom without the case, I noticed a loud vibration between 4500 and 5500 rpm. I stopped in a parking lot to investigate. The vibration was in the top plate of the adjustable rack. I could put hand pressure on the top plate and stop the noise. I checked the bolts and found them to be tight.

Other than the vibration noise, without the case attached, I have been very happy with this accessory. I am hoping that stress cracks do not develop that would cause failure and loss of case.

I am a fan of your business and products by the way.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not 100% sure about that. Mine's less than a year old and doesn't seem to have any floating nuts, just welded ones, and from what it looks like the vibration isn't nuts or something, but the metal sheet of the plate itself. To illustrate, mine moves like the attached pic (less exaggerated of course), which is a little scary for a burly aluminun plate. I think that's the source of the buzz. I'll poke around in case there's other nuts in there vibrating and contact you.

I think apart from the nut problem, there's some magic measurement in the design of the plate that sets up a resonant vibration at 3500-5000 RPMs. It creates a standing wave sort of effect with about a 3/4" amplitude in the plate, to the extent that the plate become a blur. (see pic)

BTW: the product, while imperfect, is still very awesome. I love the lower rack part with the strap slots especially.
That is a perfect description or what happens. In fact, my top plate is permanently bowed like that. Not at that extreme, but it is bowed. And mine also had the welded nuts, less than a year old.
I do not have a picture, but my stress cracks are developing in the rounded corners where the aluminum is cut out and bent downwards to provide the support and attachment point to the lower portion.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
If you are having a vibration issue with your Givi topcase mount REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU HAVE THE AMOTOSTUFF BRACKET OR THE STANDARD BRACKET please try this.

Remove the cover on the top of the Givi mounting bracket. What I am referring to is the thin plastic cover that hides the diamond pattern. The cover is removed in the pictures below.

I had the vibration at 5000 RPM when the top box was not fitted.
I do not have a Amotostuff bracket.
The vibration on my bike was caused by the Givi cover NOT the non existent bracket.

Try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have the amotostuff rack you do not need that givi bracket. The vibration being discussed (the one this thread was started about) is from the amotostuff rack.

But yeah, if I had vibration from that plastic cover, i would just remove it. Or silicone it in place since you don't really need to remove it anyway.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have gone ahead and ordered a GIVI E250.

I had contacted Amoto and they offered to let me purchase another of their rack designs, 3.0 at full cost.

The failures for the Adventure Motostuff racks are sobering and widespread. I'm surprised that they don't have a wholesale recall-replacement campaign on these racks, but even if they did, I'd have a hard time using another product of theirs given the fairly spectacular failure of their original design. Here's my rack, version 2.0, with 13K miles, very few of those off-road:

Rack Vibrations Driving Me Nuts

Warning AdvMotoStuff Metal Givi Mount Plate Cracked

Amoto Givi Plate

Adventure MotoStuff V-Strom Adjustable Topcase Mounting System V3.0 For Givi Monokey Cases

Amoto Adventure Motostuff Amotostuff break crack cracked aluminum failure metallurgy vibration harmonic failure fail mounting mount plate catastrophic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts