StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a dremel and not familiar with the attachments they come with. I will be replacing chain in a few days, and want to grind rivets on old chain before hitting it with my new chain breaker tool.

I assume I can jut get something for my regular hand drill. What do you suggest?

Thanks, Jason

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
I don't have a dremel and not familiar with the attachments they come with. I will be replacing chain in a few days, and want to grind rivets on old chain before hitting it with my new chain breaker tool.

I assume I can jut get something for my regular hand drill. What do you suggest?

Thanks, Jason
$20 angle grinder from Harbor Freight works great. :) You can always just cut the old chain off with a hacksaw, but if you need to shorten the new chain you will need some way to grind the rivet heads.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Your local hardware store will have 1/4" shank grinding stones to fit your drill for a few bucks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you tend work on stuff from time to time you'll most likely find many uses for a Dremel tool, I use mine quite often.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The harbor freight 4" angle grinder is a valuable tool for how cheap it is. I found it on sale for $16 with a 20% off coupon. I've been using it for several years, holding up great...and makes FAST work out of a chain rivet...sharpens mower blades, etc.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
And I thought that getting a Dremel tool was part of the rite of "Becoming a man." :biggrinjester: Guess I have been watching too much Home Improvement with Tim Allen.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
And I thought that getting a Dremel tool was part of the rite of "Becoming a man." :biggrinjester: Guess I have been watching too much Home Improvement with Tim Allen.
What? No blow-torch?

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
ya know, i had a dremel for a bit and never found much use for it. I wanted more power.

for the chain the angle grinder cuts through it like butter, and was pretty damn fun to use.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Lotsa

The angle grinder will find many other uses, especially if you get one with sanding disks in addition to grinding wheels. And they're way cheaper than Dremel tools. The Dremel works well for fine work but does struggle on anything major. Far as that goes, you could probably do the job with a hand file. But it would take a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts