StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM center stand is supposed to scrape when you turn left.
The SW-Motech center stand gets rid of your ground clearance.

What center stand has neither of these problems?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've thumped my skid plate (Enduro Guardian) pretty good, but never had a problem hitting hit the center stand. Buy the SW-Motech and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
If u have a skid plate, center stand might not be your lowest point any way.

Otherwise you can mod the 2012 oem stand by cutting off about 10mm of stopper rubber to allow the stand to swing up higher and/or mod the lever foot so it a curve up a bit more at the offending bent

The oem stand is a better design IMHO.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have never scraped my OEM stand. :confused:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've scraped mine a few times. You have to be pretty hard over to do it. Normal rideing will not scrape it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've thumped my skid plate (Enduro Guardian) pretty good, but never had a problem hitting hit the center stand. Buy the SW-Motech and be done with it.
Same here. Scraped my skidplate but not my sw-m center stand. For me, I couldn't justify the cost of the Suzuki centerstand.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the peg lowering kit. Taking that into consideration, I drag my pegs but never my Happy Trails center stand. Would I be able to scrape the center stand if the pegs weren't lowered??? I'm thinking not but can't guarantee it. The HT was also easy to install and cheaper than most. It seems plenty sturdy.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I have the peg lowering kit. Taking that into consideration, I drag my pegs but never my Happy Trails center stand. Would I be able to scrape the center stand if the pegs weren't lowered??? I'm thinking not but can't guarantee it. The HT was also easy to install and cheaper than most. It seems plenty sturdy.
+1 on the HT center stand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
someone awhile back had a link for a low cost center stand . I cannot remember the brand but it was significantly cheaper than the sw motech or oem . Does someone out there have that link?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There used to be a major center stand thread but I can't find it now. It compared like five or six different center stands and lists pros and cons of each.

So far, I've seen threads regarding:

OEM
SW-Motech
Happy Trails
Murphs
V-Stroma

But they're all scattered around.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
The link for comparison is here: note that it refers to Wee & V 1 and not Glee specifically...
Centerstand comparison

OP asks for "no compromise" stand - they all works and all have some compromises but some compromises can be easily "rectified" some cannot.

------------
SW Motech - easy to instal, cheap but not as stable and compromises "ride-over" clearance but not cornering; lack of ride over clearance comes from the design - not easily fixable.
-------------
H&B - pretty much the same as SW motech but no stability issue at least on my Wee
------------
Happy Trails - cant comment on clearance but it only has one cross bar - which seem to be a less sturdy design.
--------------
Vstroma / Murph's stand - OEM copy at a cheap price - i dont think they have one specifically for GLEE yet but can be made to be compatible. Murph shows it not in stock - I was going to get this for Glee but stock is the issue ATM;

-----------
Suzuki OEM - no ride over clearance issue, sturdy but has left cornering clearance issue especially if the bike is lowered. It's a fixable compromise as noted on my post before.

So at least at this point, Suzuki OEM is the least compromised model - US $260 from Partszilla

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the dealer include a factory centerstand when I made the deal on my leftover 2012. it's very sturdy, easy to use and I have found no issues at all. I ride almost always 2-up, loaded with camping gear, and have yet to touch it in turns, even during spirited trips in WV.
they all sound like decent stands, and any one of them will be better than no stand. I just can't own a bike without a centerstand!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The link for comparison is here: note that it refers to Wee & V 1 and not Glee specifically...
Centerstand comparison

OP asks for "no compromise" stand - they all works and all have some compromises but some compromises can be easily "rectified" some cannot.

Vstroma / Murph's stand - OEM copy at a cheap price - i dont think they have one specifically for GLEE yet but can be made to be compatible. Murph shows it not in stock - I was going to get this for Glee but stock is the issue ATM;

-----------
The Vstroma stand fits but you have to fabricate a stop. A U bolt on the exhaust and some rubber fixed that for me. It tucks up much better than any other stand. Compromises, but not to clearance.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
its just unfortunate that the oem copy (vstroma and murph) are not in stock ATM, well at least not in stock when i order mine a couple weeks back after waiting for a month.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Centerstand comparison

------------
SW Motech - easy to instal, cheap but not as stable and compromises "ride-over" clearance but not cornering; lack of ride over clearance comes from the design - not easily fixable.
-------------
H&B - pretty much the same as SW motech but no stability issue at least on my Wee
------------
Happy Trails - cant comment on clearance but it only has one cross bar - which seem to be a less sturdy design.
--------------

-----------
Suzuki OEM - no ride over clearance issue, sturdy but has left cornering clearance issue especially if the bike is lowered. It's a fixable compromise as noted on my post before.

So at least at this point, Suzuki OEM is the least compromised model - US $260 from Partszilla
My HB stand is fine when riding solo, but if the wife is on back or a lot luggage it will drag, especially in right handers.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Not sure whether the same applies to you, rich. But what I did was put a spacer in how rubber stopper bracket is mounted to the exhaust so that the whole swing a couple degree higher. I also grinded some materials on both the leading edge and the ends of cross bar where it is likely to hit something.

I did have to do the same to my ver 1 of AMS skid plate as I grind them on my left turns.... I seem to corner harder on the left- but this might be because we drive on the left

1 - 20 of 53 Posts