StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned it in another thread, but no one gave any input. I have some hiway pegs and a helmet lock coming that are chrome. I have a Flat Black Wee and chrome is simply not allowed on my bike!!! How can I make these parts black! I hate that evil shine dammit! I might plasti-dip the pegs, but that helmet lock will stick out like a sore chrome thumb! HELP!

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
My buddy owns a metal fab shob with a state of the art powdercoating booth. He could sandblast and powdercoat them for you? Or.....you could rough them up with sandpaper and paint them with bedliner.

·
Registered
780 Posts
It might be cheaper to sell the chrome and buy black. I wanted a Black Helmet Guardian.I found a chrome one for $17 shipped on Craigslist. I embraced my Chrome side.
Removing chrome is not an easy process or cheap.

Les

·
Registered
980 Posts
Clean it thoroughly, then paint it with a good coat of primer and some decent black spray paint. It won't last as long as powder coating, but the primer will help the paint stick, and you can always touch it up for dirt cheap!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Buy a can of Gun-Kote or Alumna-Hyde II from Brownell's. They are both epoxy-based, spray on gun finished that are really tough. (Heh, heh... I can turn any thread into a gun thread! ;-)) The Gun-Kote has to be baked in the oven while the Alumna-Hyde can be allowed to air cure. I've never used the Gun-Kote, but I have used the Alumns-Hyde several time with very good results. The cured finish is easily as strong as powder coating, and at $14 for a can, it's a lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Warhammer said:
(Heh, heh... I can turn any thread into a gun thread! ;-))
:weapons_19:

I just have to take my fiancee shooting some time. I was without a bike for over 5 years, can't remember the last time I went shooting, but it was longer ago than that. Use to shoot 200-300 rounds a week.

I think I'd go along with the sell and buy new. You aren't talking about an expensive item.

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm thinking that you need to find a place to mount this sticker on your bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
I mentioned it in another thread, but no one gave any input. I have some hiway pegs and a helmet lock coming that are chrome. I have a Flat Black Wee and chrome is simply not allowed on my bike!!! How can I make these parts black! I hate that evil shine dammit! I might plasti-dip the pegs, but that helmet lock will stick out like a sore chrome thumb! HELP!
Plasti Dip also comes as a spray, just like spray paint.

Except, with an all around application, it forms a "skin" and doesn't need roughing
or primer if the surface is very clean.

The flat black result is a good match to the Strom's black plastic.

Here's a picture of a homemade wing made of shiny aluminum bar stock, rivets, a
galvanized steel pipe stand-off and a piece of clear Lexan - all sprayed with Plasti Dip:

That road peg is aluminum, from J.C. Whitney.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I painted my chrome ones with metal farm implement paint matt black. Bought it at Rural King cost me 5 bucks. I even touched up my engine guards when I scratched them up. Can't tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Another possible option is to buff the chrome with #600 sandpaper. It will look like polished aluminum. For less shine use #400 sandpaper. I did that for some parts on my last bike that had way too much chrome. If it's still too bright at least it'll be ready to paint.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Especially chrome highway pegs!!! Just hand in your membership card and go buy a Harley.:p
That's as closed-minded as the leather-clad lemming-like losers who feel you must spend 56% of your salary on cheaply-crafted Tiawnese-made sparkly bits and baubles.

Go ahead and bolt the chrome highway pegs on, heck, really piss off the persickety pirates by mounting some inch-and-a-quarter ape hangers while you're at it.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
And while I'm in full psuedo-rant-mode let me quote Cue-Ball's old lady:

Chrome won't get you home........................

....................... but it might just get you boned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts