StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake light is not illuminating when using the front brake lever. The rear brake works just fine.
I am thinking the brake switch in the lever is bad.
How big of a job is replacing the switch?
do I need to disassemble the whole pod?
Anyone know the part #?

Thanks, YH

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd check the connection first. My wife's was loose when we bought her bike. You really can't tell until you actually pull on the connection. Clean it, check the pins, etc.

I don't have the part# available right now, but if you google "vstrom search engine" you'll find a VERY helpful website from vsri.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Jumper the wire ends together to make sure that works the brake light. If it does and the connections are clean and solid, replace the switch. I use Honda Kawasaki Polaris Suzuki Yamaha Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles to search for part numbers. The brake light switch is on the handle lever page. When asking for part numbers, it's a good idea to include the year and model of bike.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jumper the wire ends together to make sure that works the brake light. If it does and the connections are clean and solid, replace the switch. I use Honda Kawasaki Polaris Suzuki Yamaha Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles to search for part numbers. The brake light switch is on the handle lever page. When asking for part numbers, it's a good idea to include the year and model of bike.
Thanks Grey,
I actually thought all the years would be the same part since they look like the same switch pod.
I'll start tracing wires tonight.
Oh, '07 Vee.

·
38,103 Posts
I just had the sme problem with my 07 Vee . Check and clean the connection on the radiator shroud.
If that is the problem, jumpering the wire ends won't trigger the brake light.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using a continuity tester I got full continuity at the connector attached to the taillight wire (at least I think it is the tail light wire. It's the only one coming off the lever)
and about half as much from the actual switch.
Seperately both pieces seem to function, but together they don't actuate the light.
Jumping the wires to the light actuates the brake lights.

What next?

·
38,103 Posts
The brake light switch has two wires. Test the circuit by jumpering the two contacts on the wire connector with a paper clip. Test the switch by checking for continuity on its two tabs when the lever is pulled.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, got the right switch. What does the lower reading on the meter indicate?
I would think either there is continuity or there isn't.

·
38,103 Posts
I have no idea what your meter is like.

If you jumper the two contacts on the connector that plugs into the switch with a paper clip or short length of wire, do you get a brake light?

Is there continuity between the two contacts on the switch if the lever is pulled?

Please answer those two questions before asking anything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts