StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend I took a dirt riding course in the Pinelands in NJ. After the basics, the course was all about riding in sand and lots of it. Great trails thru the pinelands but the sand was beating me more than I was beating it. At one point I had the strom standing up straight buried in sand up to the axles at times. They call long runs of soft sand "sand puddles" and they could run from 6 feet to 1000"s of yards of the stuff and like nothing I ever thought could exist. Towards the end of today's training ride I was able to stay on the pegs and float thru long runs but every now I then it would grab the wheel and "down goes Fraizer". My bike went down more than Linda Lovelace this week end but I am a better rider for it. The only upside to falling in sand is that sand is soft.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The main techniques are to sit close to the bars in an "attack" position when seated, if standing keep the front wheel as straight as possible and steer by weighing and unweighing the pegs by flexing the knees (also steer with the pegs when seated)(if you turn the front wheel in sand, chances are you are going down) and finally speed is controlled by the use of the clutch and don't be afraid to gas it unless you are digging yourself deeper in sand and if stuck rock the bike and give it gas with the clutch. If sand is new to you then start slow which I didn't listen to lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts