StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it has been getting more humid out, I am starting to worry about water in compressed air.

Does anybody use bottled nitrogen for tires?

Matt

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you concerned about the air in your tires or the air in a compressor going into the tires? All compressors except the little ones should have a water trap on them, and the air in the tires may contain some moisture but the heat of riding will keep it in suspension in the tires unless you are carrying ounces of it.

Using nitrogen for a street bike seems a bit extreme, tire pressures vary more with the enviormental temperture than they do with humidity, and when it warms your tire pressure should increase so your letting air out and in the cold it will drop so your adding air when the humidity is less.

As far as I can see it is an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you can find a shop with nitrogen it would be worth it. Search the web there is plenty of info avail. Airplanes,offroad equipment and more and more tire shops are using it. The guy who sold us our tire machine had it in his car in italy and said his tires never needed topping up. it is supposed to stayin a tire 5 times longer and stops oxidation

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't see how N2 would stay in tires longer than air. It's the smallest molecule of all the main molecules in air so it seems like it would leak out quicker than air. I've never heard of oxidation on the inside of a tire being the deciding factor in tire life, either.

My math may be off a bit but at 80% relative humidity there is about 0.00009 kg of water in your tire.

Air is good and there's plenty of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I race a 125cc go kart and use nitrogen to control expansion. Say I use 12psi air, after I heat up the tires I now have 15-16 psi air in the tires. With the gas it only goes up 1-2 psi. With the small size tires it maens alot in a kart. On a bike I am not sure but because I have a bottle I think I will use it. As soon as I get my DL 650 (red one) in about an hour.

Play hard
TerryB

·
Registered
178 Posts
My question - Why? What issue or problem will be cured, prevented, corrected or otherwise mitigated by using a substance other than air to inflate tires?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The good news is that most everyone on Earth has nitrogen in their tires. The atmosphere is 79% Nitrogen so there should be about 79% nitrogen in every tire that was inflated by a normal air compressor.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't think it's needed. You can add a water trap to your compressor if you want, not a bad idea and they're cheap. I'm not putting pepper in my radiator either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts