StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have tried a few searches but couldn't find the info I was after.:confused:
Has anyone tried one of these on a pre O2 sensor WEE.
They seem too cheap to be any good. :yesnod:
I Have an after market air filter already and am about to fit a staintune to my 12/05 WEE, just wondering if anyone has one, and if so is it any good?
Thanks.:thumbup:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi, I have tried a few searches but couldn't find the info I was after.:confused:
Has anyone tried one of these on a pre O2 sensor WEE.
They seem too cheap to be any good. :yesnod:
I Have an after market air filter already and am about to fit a staintune to my 12/05 WEE, just wondering if anyone has one, and if so is it any good?
Thanks.:thumbup:
Not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about.

There was a Power commander 3 on my 2008 Vee when I bought it. Even after Dyno Tuning I wasnt happy with the fuel economy etc. I have since removed the PC3 and it is for sale.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different I think:confused:
This one has 15 pre loaded tunes no computer needed etc.
Just plug in and select from 15 pre loaded settings apparently. Its listed on flea bay $69 delivered from os.:fineprint:
I just have that old saying ringing in my head, "if its too good to be true it probably isn't"
Any one used one or knows anything please comment.:yesnod:

·
Registered
436 Posts
There was a Power commander 3 on my 2008 Vee when I bought it. Even after Dyno Tuning I wasnt happy with the fuel economy etc. I have since removed the PC3 and it is for sale.
Hi BrettStrom, whoever did the tune couldn't been to good , i have spoken to and read good reports about power commanders / retunes , i know someone near Bathurst who is a tuning whiz , he's getting bikes from all over the state / country shipped to him for tuning , PM me if interested.
Ozzy

5POTS , you could give him a call if you like , he knows just about everything there is to know about tuning and such , just be warned he likes to talk :) , PM me if interested.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just done some reading on the thing , no thanks , do a search and you will see what i mean :yikes:
Ozzy

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Why would you even bother :confused:

Only BMWs need a PC or similar..... and even then they can't be made to run right... :headbang:

Never could anyone to get mine to run right.

Don't waste your money. :fineprint:

And since when did any Wee (or SV650 for that matter) ever need an after market system such as a PC..

There are other mods that can gain more for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
:yesnod:
ozzy strom might see you on the road sometime :thumbup:

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Having done extensive tuning with really positive power increases on previous bikes, I decided to limit this one to pipe n filter. (even that was more to rid the sewing machine sound than power gain!)

Its not a greatly tuneable motor, you will put a great deal in and will get a small amount out. Therefore why bother?

The reality is with tuning mods, unless you have knowledge in the field, cheap add ons will do little but root your fuel economy, even a PC on this bike will do little, n they aint cheap.

If you wanna tune, theres many bikes out there that will respond better than a strom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read the instructions for the Nitro X. They have you wire it in parallel to the intake temperature sensor. Which means it can only lower the resistance the ECU sees from the sensor. Anybody that knows anything about ohm's law could tell you this. I've never tested the resistance of an intake air temp sensor. So I don't know if lower resistance means lower or higher temperature to the ECU. I suspect it means lower and that installing it would allow you to run a slightly richer mixture, good if you've done engine mods and the engine needs it. Probably no benefit to a stock bike unless that stock bike came from the factory running on the edge of too lean. My old GS750E comes to mind here. I would like to see someone take apart a Nitro X and post pictures. My guess is that it contains a dip switch and several resistors. Probably less than $2 in parts. You could accomplish the same as installing a Nitro X by installing the right 29 cent resistor in parallel with the intake air temp sensor and save $50 or whatever they cost.

A search on ebay for performance chip will show many similar products. One that was heavily advertised (I don't remember the name of it) was discussed on an auto forum. A member had purchased one and opened it up. Revealed was an integrated circuit with wires connected to 2 pins in a way that would not have even powered up the chip. The unit was to be wired in parallel to the intake temp sensor. Truly snake oil in this case, the few who had bought and installed one said it did nothing.

I have an 05 650 and have installed 2nd gen SV650 exhaust cams. Modest performance increase to the top half of the rev range. I have PC III yet to install.

Also I have welded a bung into the collector pipe and installed an O2 sensor and fuel air ratio gauge so I can see what's going on with the mixture. I've used this successfully on another bike to get it jetted correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts