1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
304 Posts
Found this by accident, they look nice, if I already didn't have a Koso I'd buy this. I'm purchasing a double USB panel mount

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts
In a prior thread, about a month ago, someone here put up the URL for the same Voltmeter as the RIGHT HAND one on the Powerwerx site: 13.8V in BLUE TEXT but,
it only cost about 6 bucks instead of $ 19.99 and he's using it now.
I also ordered one, still waiting for it to arrive.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
That Powerwerx logo adds $15 to a voltmeter, cause you can buy those all day long for about $5. I have one on my Wee, works great...tested against a Fluke meter at the terminals and it's been dead nuts on, accuracy wise.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yeah, I am still waiting for that style, waterproof, but with the combo of Voltage and Temp F. I had to cut up a cig plug version to get that on mine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I purchased a RED LED voltmeter and it is very hard to see.

Can anybody comment on the BLUE colour regarding visibility in daylight.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Blue would probably be hard to see as well. I'd guess green to be the easiest to see.

·
Registered
813 Posts
That Powerwerx logo adds $15 to a voltmeter, cause you can buy those all day long for about $5. I have one on my Wee, works great...tested against a Fluke meter at the terminals and it's been dead nuts on, accuracy wise.
I bought a $5 cig socket voltage meter off Amazon and it works fine (except see next comment). My cig socket is plugged into the heated grip adapter up front and the difference at the battery terminals is only 0.2V so it seems accurate enough. It generally runs 13.8-14V once over 3K RPM so all is well.

I purchased a RED LED voltmeter and it is very hard to see.
Mine is red too and impossible to see in sunlight. Fortunately, its not something I really need to monitor continuously so I think its okay. Right now its in my cig socket on the handle bars but I want to free that up to charge my GPS. I'm going to get a H4 male headlight socket and solder and shrink wrap a wired connection and use the spare headlight connector freed up from the EB headlight relay. I'm going to probably zip tie it behind the ignition switch down in the hole were it will be dark enough to read anytime I get the urge and out of the way.

·
Vendor
4,734 Posts
I've been telling folks for a couple of years now that you can't read the output on these in direct sunlight. They are OK at dusk and at night or if you pull over to a shaded area.

Another example of someone buying something from China for pennies and selling it at an insane profit margin. They are available on Ebay shipped direct from China for a lot less.

12v meter | eBay

If you want something that will get your attention when your attention is needed, check out the signal dynamics voltage monitor. Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor - AdventureTech, LLC.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I've been telling folks for a couple of years now that you can't read the output on these in direct sunlight. They are OK at dusk and at night or if you pull over to a shaded area.
I have a voltage meter with red LED numbers from ADVmonster. Like all these, it's impossible to read in sunlight, so I mounted it down inside the fairing in a nice shady spot. I can see it easily while riding, and if a stray sunbeam does make it down there, it's easy to block for a second with one hand.

It's mounted with industrial velcro to the center bottom edge of the instrument panel, right in front of the forks.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have a red one, and I can see it in daylight. It's not bright by any means, but I can always make it out and it's sitting face-up on the fairing. Must have gotten a good one, or I have good eyes for the red part of the spectrum. Dunno.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Koso super slim voltmeter and in direct sun it's useless. During dusk dawn or dark its great. The only way to see a LED in daylight is for it to be backlit, so far I haven't found any like that. KOSO makes one but it is much more than a voltmeter, its like a mini data center. I am waiting on a Sparkbright Eclipse from England to get here to piggy back next to the voltmeter for daylight monitoring. All the electronics are miniaturized and part of the LED so it needs no control box.

I posted the link for reference, I know nothing about the brand or company, their power plugs look nice though. There is a west marine right down the road so I will check there first. If they have no dual USB ports I will order this one.

·
Vendor
4,734 Posts
I guess my disappointment in these meters was showing. I was initially stoked about the low cost and ease of installation and the utterly disappointed int he light output. We all have different needs and expectations I guess and if your buying for yourself instead of something to recommend to others more latitude.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
Someday China is going to take a 2 week vacation and the rest of the world will cease to function for lack of product!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Found this by accident, they look nice, if I already didn't have a Koso I'd buy this. I'm purchasing a double USB panel mount

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts

Really enjoy the site, thanks for posting. Before I purchase the dual panel with the USB and blue voltmeter is there anyone here who have mounted it to their 2012+ 650 dash panel and had any issues with installation i.e. Interference from instrument cluster in the way, wiring in the way just room in general etc.

Edit* I just purchased the dual USB and the voltmeter as well as the two hole panel mount. Any info on mounting the panel as well as wiring tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
I got my green LED volt meter today. Nifty looking little beast. Seems plenty bright.
Supposed to be waterproof too. We'll see.
I need to find a good spot to mount it.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
Yo, Sparkys, I got the Green LED volt meter mounted under my dash board center above the instrument panel. That Green is very easy to see and it seems to work well. The old Garmin reads a bit low so now I have a more accurate display.
Those $3.95 things, no shipping cost is incredible. I keep seeing the same thing on display boards at 10-12 bucks.
It's wired direct to the battery with a fuse so I put an off/on switch to it. Don't wanna leave it on all the time.
It shows a 2 volt drop when I turn on the Chinese Cree driving lights I added. That's with the engine off. No loss when it's running.
Farkle on!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts