StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife and I spent the day riding from our house in the desert into Death Valley. After passing through the ever beautiful town of Trona CA we took the Wildrose road up to the Charcoal Kilns.

The best part of Trona, my bike and the USA flag

Saw a bunch of ass on the way to the kilns

Made it to the kilns. This was the first time taking my wife off pavement on a bike instead of my Jeep. I'm glad I waited until I replaced the Trail Wings with the E-07s. The new tires performed flawlessly. We hit some washboard sections and a few spots that got a bit rocky and required picking a pretty tight line but it all went well.

Mahogany flats campground at over 8000'

Glad I didn't have the side cases on.

It was blowing pretty hard in the Valley

One of the locals admiring my bike. I suspect someone has been feeding the wildlife as he had no apparent fear of humans :(

Looking down from the vista point. The beautiful winding road below is Hwy 190. We had ridden through the dust storm and up 190. From here we dropped into Olancha CA for a late lunch then headed home. The bike and tires did great. My wife was comfortable for the 349 miles. All in all...A GREAT DAY!!!

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
Two up on dirt! brave soul. I don't trust myself cus I fall down. New tires pretty good, Great. Wonder how long they will last on the pavement.
Olancha, Love the Ranch House Cafe. Classic 395 dining. It's my ride to brekky when headed North.

Which road was closed with the barriers?

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
nice to see a familiar area where I ride a couple times a year. Re road from Panamint Valley road to Wildrose Campground....I can barely remember a time when it wasn't 'closed'. When in the area I like to soak in the hot springs in Tecopa and visit the nearby China Ranch date farm.

ah yes you don't want to miss the beautiful town of Trona........ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trona,_San_Bernardino_County,_California

·
Registered
127 Posts
Panamint Valley has spectacular views and some great dirt roads.

We did that area early last June coming from the West over Sherman Pass (Awesome!) and stayed overnight in Panamint Springs. Good food and over 150 beers to try! Nearly ran them out of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale while sitting in the sun and watching the F18s practicing air tactics. Very memorable 2 days in the desert! Yes, Wildrose was closed then as well, but still easy 2-up on our DL1000 K4. Definitely a "will do again" ride!
Pic of Wildrose CanyonRd.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two up on dirt! brave soul. I don't trust myself cus I fall down. New tires pretty good, Great. Wonder how long they will last on the pavement.
Olancha, Love the Ranch House Cafe. Classic 395 dining. It's my ride to brekky when headed North.

Which road was closed with the barriers?
Wildrose rd was closed to cars due to some washouts. No problem on the bike. I've had many an enjoyable meal at Ranch House including yesterday. Tire wear remains to be seen but they made a huge difference in making the bike more controllable offroad and did a fine job on the pavement.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I was just over there on the 13th. Still a little warm in the high 90's. On a week day you can actually have lunch at Furnace Creek.

·
Administrator
6,406 Posts
My E-07's have done 9590kms so far and should have a couple left in them. 90% seal but I use them for the confidence they give when on dirt roads. Mind you, the OEM Bridgestones were terrible even on seal always being deflected by seams and patches.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"ah yes you don't want to miss the beautiful town of Trona."

Going though Trona brings to mind the EYE of Sauron dwelling in Mordor.

Haha. There are certain places, Trona being one of them, that really make me appreciate my home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
We did that area early last June coming from the West over Sherman Pass (Awesome!) and stayed overnight in Panamint Springs. Good food and over 150 beers to try! Nearly ran them out of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale while sitting in the sun and watching the F18s practicing air tactics. Very memorable 2 days in the desert! Yes, Wildrose was closed then as well, but still easy 2-up on our DL1000 K4. Definitely a "will do again" ride!
Pic of Wildrose CanyonRd.

We camped at Wildrose in 2010. Portajohn, no water, wind blowing tent off, hard ground impossible to drive stakes in. Frigging cold in the morning in July(!). We were 2up on sport-tourer, so after coming back and packing up I looked at unpaved road south to Trona, turned around and took long way around.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The desert can do that to you......

We camped at Wildrose in 2010. Portajohn, no water, wind blowing tent off, hard ground impossible to drive stakes in. Frigging cold in the morning in July(!). We were 2up on sport-tourer, so after coming back and packing up I looked at unpaved road south to Trona, turned around and took long way around.
Why do you think we opted to stay at the Panamint Springs Resort? The cabins aren't fancy, but much more accommodating than a tent in the wind! :wink2:
Did I mention they have 150 different beers to try? :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
sometimes I camp at Furnace Creek (Texas Springs Campground) for convenience but I enjoy camping away from the crowd up Hole in the Wall or Echo Canyon too. November through March is the season for me. can go below freezing at night in mid-winter and hit 70 F later in the day.

3.4 million acres in size pretty tough to explore it all in a lifetime.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think I'll head over to Furnace Creek Saturday night. Looks like the forecast is good temperature wise. Anyone know what the winds are supposed to do?

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Agree the wind sure sucks the fun out of that place. I usually check a day or so before I leave. I look at NWS hourly wind graph for something close like Las Vegas or Bishop and also check the big picture for incoming fronts/pressure systems.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
come to think of it Furnace Creek has it's own zip code 92328 so you can plug that in to NWS. just checking today's high forecast at 97F. 17 degrees too high for this pilgrim.

·
Registered
77 Posts
come to think of it Furnace Creek has it's own zip code (92328) so you can plug that in to NWS. just checking today's high forecast at 97F. 17 degrees too high for this pilgrim.
Agreed. I would prefer a couple degrees cooler. My cooling vest makes up to about 100 comfortable. I´ve done a 250 mile day in triple digit heat before wearing it. That along with my ¨heat out¨ base layer.

What caught my eye in the forecast is the winds increasing Saturday night. I don´t sleep well on a calm night the first night out. Winds make it impossible.

I may just do Sherman Pass and some 395 and then head home. I do have to get as far as Whitney Portal. In April, The EMT´s cut my ¨I climbed Mt Whitney¨ tee shirt off so this is a quest.

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
"I climbed Mt Whitney"

I cut the "I climbed" part out of the sticker when I put it on the saddle bag. I ain't lyin' and I ain't climbing that hill either!:laugh2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
***OLD THREAD BUMP FOR RESEARCH***

Just got word that a visitor from the UK (that I'm storing his bike for) wants to ride to DV when he gets here...in 2 weeks

little short notice, but can I do all the prep/packing/order parts and be ready by then?

my schedule:
Monday the 6th: Leave after I get off work from Orange County around 6:30ish...ride to Calico to cover some slab miles, camp (for free)
Tuesday the 7th: ?? Ride DV (is there a route I should follow?)
Wednesday the 8th: Ride DV until roughly noon, then slab all the way back to orange county (500 mile day...yuck)

I have a sleeping bag...temps have historically been 75-80 in the day and low 50's at night (= perfect camping weather)...need a tent, water, food, tools, tire plug kit/pump, air mattress and....?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts