StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put some good pipes on my DL1000. Riding out here in Southern California can be dicey sometimes, and ever since I started riding my V strom it seems traffic has gotten worse. Then I remembered that my last bike was loud, and after watching another bike nearly get run over at night (I actually didn't see him, or hear him, I just heard his little bike horn) I decided I need my loud pipes again.
Does anyone have some good suggestions?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
My suggestion: Don't rely on exhaust pipe noise to keep you safe.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
2 Brothers pipes without the tip are supposed to be quite loud. They have a sound clip on the site for a TL1000, very similar.

There's a youtube video on modding the stock setup if you can weld. Search Modify VStrom Exhaust and you should find it.

And don't rely on loud pipes to keep you safe.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Two Brothers M2 without the sound reducing power tips would do the trick for you, believe me. I put 'em on mine, and they were too loud, I ended up buying the inserts that drop the noise level by 7-8 DB, made em much nicer. You can add or remove the inserts in a few minutes with a torx, so you have a choice. I'm still deciding if I like em or not, PM me if you're intersted maybe they'll be for sale this summer. I have three video clips on youtube if you search for dl1000 exhaust upgrade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sound is directional. Plus pipes project the sound behind you, how will that keep you safe. I prefer to use riding skill and paying attention to keep me safe. If letting people know that some idiot with loud pipes just went by, like I do every time one does than just run straight pipes like the Harley crew does, we know how much everyone loves them. Personaly I am trying to quiet mine down.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Loud pipes suck and do nothing for safety -- all they do is piss people off you've already passed.

Anyway, I think Two Brothers pipes are widely regarded to, uh, suck the most. :fineprint:

I can understand a preference for hearing more engine noise (not my cup of tea, but I understand), and there are other alternatives that have a beefier sound without the unholy Godzilla racket released by the 2Bros pipes.

Honestly, you could have simply said that you prefer to hear your V-Strom sing, and asked about the best-sounding pipe. There was no need to repeat that goofy old biker myth about lifesaving pipes.

Next you'll be telling us that helmets break necks, and that you can't touch the front brake or it'll fling ya over the handlebars, so if you really want to stop in a hurry, you gotta learn to lay 'er down...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Seventy percent of accidents involving a car and a bike are when the car makes a left turn in front of the MC. Loud pipes are meaningless to reduce this risk to you.

A good pulsing headlight might help.

Loud pipes are going to bother the person in the car behind you that is in the perfect position to mess you up when you don't see it coming.

I've ridden the streets on a 15 HP Yamaha XT225 and a on a loud Harley.

The pychos in cages don't care. Either way you're on the defensive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Loud pipes suck and do nothing for safety -- all they do is piss people off you've already passed.

Anyway, I think Two Brothers pipes are widely regarded to, uh, suck the most. :fineprint:
I was told the same by my local dealer. He said that Two Brothers was always the first to market with pipes for any new bike and they did it because they put so little "engineering" into the pipes. They just sell a straight-pipe with some packing inside it.

If that's all ya want, then why not just pull off the stock can and slip on a staight piece of pipe - lots cheaper!! :headbang:

I have to agree with sound being so directional....next time you see a bike (harley) in your mirror in the distance note how little you hear it until it gets REALLY CLOSE behind you- and when you're stuck behind one with straight pipes :yikes: forget it!

Loud pipes will be the end of motorcycling as we know it until people start to police themselves -- NY is already stopping bikes and IMPOUNDING THEM ON THE SPOT if there is no EPA stamp on the pipes!!

Don't get me wrong - I like the sound of a well-tuned engine with a healthy growl but sometimes it just goes too far!!

Demented Dave in Dusty Doha, Qatar
Deployed Gov't Contractor

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Do you have a white or yellow helmet?

Do you wear hi-viz clothing?

Do you have a Stebel Nautilus air horn?

Loud pipes are every bit as likely to create drama as prevent it. And if there is more than one motorcycle around with loud pipes, it doesn't do a bit of good. And those loud motorcycles have now created legislation that affects all of us: in Boston it's a $300 ticket if you have an exhaust without an EPA sticker. Denver, ditto.

If you want a louder exhaust because you like the sound, go to it. Don't think it will make you safer.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
OP, aren't you glad you mentioned loud pipes:green_lol:

Ron W.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Loud pipes do help. I was on my Strom yesterday and an azzhat with a phone glued to his ear tried to merge into my lane. Only by speeding up, I was able to avoid the impact with his car side.

I wear a white helmet, yellow Joe Rocket mesh jacket, and alwyas run a modulating headlight. The azzhat "still" didn't see me.....

Now, If I was on my VTX with my Hard Krome 3" Big Straights, he would've at least probably heard me.

Loud pipes WILL DEFINIETLY "HELP" traffic become aware of you. As was stated above, don't solely rely on them, but DEFINITELY use them in traffic.

They saved my azz many times, either in part or as a major factor with past erratic traffic encounters. They are most effective when you are either in; or passing through a vehicles blind spot. They won't see you, but chances are good that they'll hear you

For those whom disagree with loud pipes, stick yer earplugs in. My life and the preservation of it far exceeds what you think and what you opinions are; regarding my choice of equipment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you really think if the lady heard you she would have turned her head to look before changing lanes, if she cared whether someone was there she would have looked anyways. Heck, she probably would have tried to run you off the road for ruining her telephone conversation with you annoying loud pipes. I guess if you insist on continuing to run loud pipes the government will make the discision for you. Only a matter of time before you start seeing roadside sound checks, especially with the government and counties all needing money. They wouldnt even have to make you stop, just need a roadside meter and a camera, mail you a ticket. In denver I believe it is 300 for first offence, 500 for second and then it goes up to 1300 after that. Denver county actually made it illegal to run any aftermarket pipe, if it didnt come from the bike manufacturer you cant use it. Dont think they are really enforcing it but it is written that way. All started because the harley idiots and sport bike riders would go downtown in between the big buildings and rev their engines. I guess to some riders who arent skilled enough to get a rush from the riding have to get their rush from the noise. I am willing to bet you go to any harley rally and talk to them and they will have many stories about cars pulling out in front of them and cutting them off in traffic and pretty much every one of them have really loud pipes, so obviously it doesnt work. Sorry for the rant but noise is my pet peave. If you like loud pipes be honest and say you like the noise, dont use the worn out excuse that loud pipes save lives, its BS. Number one complaint about motorcycle of any kind from the majority of people is noise. Guess what, majority rules and they will kick our asses every time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do you really think if the lady heard you she would have turned her head to look before changing lanes, if she cared whether someone was there she would have looked anyways. Heck, she probably would have tried to run you off the road for ruining her telephone conversation with you annoying loud pipes. I guess if you insist on continuing to run loud pipes the government will make the discision for you. Only a matter of time before you start seeing roadside sound checks, especially with the government and counties all needing money. They wouldnt even have to make you stop, just need a roadside meter and a camera, mail you a ticket. In denver I believe it is 300 for first offence, 500 for second and then it goes up to 1300 after that. Denver county actually made it illegal to run any aftermarket pipe, if it didnt come from the bike manufacturer you cant use it. Dont think they are really enforcing it but it is written that way. All started because the harley idiots and sport bike riders would go downtown in between the big buildings and rev their engines. I guess to some riders who arent skilled enough to get a rush from the riding have to get their rush from the noise. I am willing to bet you go to any harley rally and talk to them and they will have many stories about cars pulling out in front of them and cutting them off in traffic and pretty much every one of them have really loud pipes, so obviously it doesnt work. Sorry for the rant but noise is my pet peave. If you like loud pipes be honest and say you like the noise, dont use the worn out excuse that loud pipes save lives, its BS. Number one complaint about motorcycle of any kind from the majority of people is noise. Guess what, majority rules and they will kick our asses every time.
First of all, it was a "he" not a "she".. Your reading comprehension is lacking, as your misconceptions formed regarding loud pipes and motorcycles, through your stereotypical views.

Let me quote something in bold so you may better absorb it; rather than ignore it; due to your unwillingness to maintain an open mind:

Loud pipes WILL DEFINITELY "HELP" traffic become aware of you. As was stated above, don't solely rely on them, but DEFINITELY use them in traffic.

They saved my azz many times, either in part or as a major factor with past erratic traffic encounters. They are most effective when you are either in; or passing through a vehicles blind spot. They won't see you, but chances are good that they'll hear you.

To the OP, run them pipes as you see fit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
LOUD HORNS SAVE LIVES (they just aren't as badass)
Some myths will never die, I was just reading a post on another forum asking how to lay down a Voyager with ABS. :headbang:
As in "I had to lay 'er down" to avoid an accident.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I was just reading a post on another forum asking how to lay down a Voyager with ABS. :headbang:
As in "I had to lay 'er down" to avoid an accident.
I start by jamming down on the rear brake as hard as possible. Don't you dare touch that front brake, we're trying to get the rear wheel sliding. Once you've got the rear wheel locked and sliding, you'll want to jam the bars to one side or the other. I go right, because I'm right-handed. Then throw your weight to the opposite side you turned the bars. That'll get 'er dropped over on the side. Here's the tricky part: do you "bail" and jump away from the bike, or rider 'er out, and stay on top?

If you're sliding under a semi, go ahead and ride 'er out. After some practice, you can throw 'er back on wheels and keep going. Of course, if you're headed for a cliff or sumpin, then you better get off and let 'er go.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
NEXT...on Mythbusters...

1. The check is in the mail.
2. I swear I won't ___ in your mouth.
3. Yes, I'll still respect you in the morning.
4. You're better off in a crash WITHOUT a helmet.
5. Ya wanna stop fast? Gotta lay 'er down.
6. Loud pipes saves lives.

So...ya got another dead horse we can beat for a while? :headbang:

·
Registered
541 Posts
NEXT...on Mythbusters...

1. The check is in the mail.
2. I swear I won't ___ in your mouth.
3. Yes, I'll still respect you in the morning.
4. You're better off in a crash WITHOUT a helmet.
5. Ya wanna stop fast? Gotta lay 'er down.
6. Loud pipes saves lives.

So...ya got another dead horse we can beat for a while? :headbang:
You left this out:
0. I'm from the government. I'm here to help you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here's a great quote I read a while back: "If loud pipes save lives just imagine what learning how to ride the thing will do for you!". :green_lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
some good stuff has been mentioned, hi vis clothing, load horn, I always say assume no one can see you.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.