StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is headed to Texas in a couple of days for school and he wanted to take his VStrom. I needed a little trailer, so I offered to buy the trailer if he would equip his car. He purchased the hitch and completed the wiring.

Here are the details about the trailer....

Harbor Freight offers a 1,090 lb trailer kit on sale for $179. I also purchased two sets of loading ramps to complete the trailer. A pair of rails were on sale for $39.99. I purchased two of them.

Additionally, I purchased a 4' piece of angle iron, cut it in half, mounted an eye-bolt and have a great strap attachment.

Pretty darn good, little set up. We will be able to haul a big bike like a Strom (about 500-550lbs) on the center rail....or a couple of dirt bikes on the outside rails.

Bryce has a nice little setup with his 2008 Rabbit and 2010 HF Trailer.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Very nice, and for a good price!

Please attach those yellow straps to something else than the handlebars though.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please attach those yellow straps to something else than the handlebars though.

No worries....the bike on the trailer in that pic was merely a test of tongue weight. Wanted to make sure we had at least 75 lbs on the ball.

When traveling we always tie down from the lower triple clamps.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Great idea!
One question though: is the center ramp supported at the front, under the front wheel of the bike? I'd be a little concerned that it might bend a bit when the bike is strapped down and the trailer has been bouncing down the road for a while.

S

·
0 Posts
Very nice!!

A caution to my brethren in Penn's Woods:

If you want to put a kit trailer on the road (like the HF), you have to have a certified mechanic do the assembly, or go thru some sort of BS inspection. Then there's a truckload of registration paperwork to do, yadda, yadda.

The HF guy told me it takes about (I could be remembering wrong) 2 months from time of purchase until you can legally drag it around. If you buy a pre-made trailer (like, from Home Cheapo, Tractor Supply, etc.), you just have to register and can drag it around the same day you buy it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You really should put a bike shoe or something on the front to stop the bike from rolling forward on a hard stop. If someone brake checks your son, that bike could be in the back seat pretty quick.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great idea!
One question though: is the center ramp supported at the front, under the front wheel of the bike? I'd be a little concerned that it might bend a bit when the bike is strapped down and the trailer has been bouncing down the road for a while.
You really should put a bike shoe or something on the front to stop the bike from rolling forward on a hard stop. If someone brake checks your son, that bike could be in the back seat pretty quick.

Good thoughts....but way ahead of you all.

Have already supported the front of the rails. I ran some large square tubing, 4' wide...across all three rails. Yeah, they flex'd a little when we went to tighten the front strapsl

Also, to keep the bike from rolling forward or backwards, we will be strapping the wheels. Front wheel gets strapped back and the rear wheel gets strapped forward. This will totally eliminate any forward or backward motion of the bike. 2,000 lb straps will get the job done.

Also, I am adding some more angle iron to the sides of the rails where the wheels will sit....so that the tires can't slide or bounce off the rails.

By the way, these trailers come from Harbor Freight with a VIN number on the trailer and an official, legal title. I can't speak for other states, but here in Colorado.....a plate is just a short, 10 minutes away (don't mind the 90 minute wait)....at the DMV.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The only critique from me, seeing you have most of it covered...

Have you considered turning the rails that are mounted on the trailer over and leaving them 'upside down' so that there is a channel that the bike tires are in.
A bit of rattling around, even if well tied, chocked, etc. and all will be nill if the tires slip to the side a bit...

Have a great day!

·
Registered
63 Posts
One thing I noticed, the apple must not fall far from the tree:thumbup:
Both of you have Stroms? and there is anothe VW in the driveway:hurray:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The only critique from me, seeing you have most of it covered...

Have you considered turning the rails that are mounted on the trailer over and leaving them 'upside down' so that there is a channel that the bike tires are in.
A bit of rattling around, even if well tied, chocked, etc. and all will be nill if the tires slip to the side a bit...

Have a great day!

i agree with this comment except they wouldn't be upside down because all the ramps in the pictures are upside down right now (including the loading ramp). so, in reality you should turn them right side up.

check your bolts on the trailer frequently. I've had a number of my Harbor Freight trailer come loose, one fall completely off, in critical areas (been a while so i don't remember which ones but i remember thinking, "whew")

·
Registered
965 Posts
Nothing to add that's not been said, but is this a local purchase? We don't have harbour freight in Canada and this would be a 1000 buck trailer here..

Cheers

Ken

·
Registered
379 Posts
Pretty slick Big John. Just one word of caution. I cannot tell what the tire size is but some states have restrictions on speed when pulling a trailer with the smaller tires. I learned that in California years ago.

I'm also taking my Vee back to Texas from Washington in November, but I'll haul it in the back of my pickup.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nothing to add that's not been said, but is this a local purchase? We don't have harbour freight in Canada and this would be a 1000 buck trailer here..

Cheers

Ken
Check Princess Auto. Basically the Canadian equivalent of Harbour Freight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have bought a lot of merchandise from Harbor Freight, especially tools that I only use once in a while. Pretty decent quality, especially for the price when something is on sale.

My only concern about the trailer would be the quality of the tires. It would be worth keeping an eye on them during the trip. Run them at max pressure so that they don't get hot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One more comment on those tires--locally, they are called "Sure Pops" for a reason.

Make sure to spend a few extra bucks for a spare wheel and tire; and have a lug wrench that will fit the lugs on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
My experience with the little tires is a little different. At max pressure they will carry an insane weight but the bearings will weld themselves solid before the tires give up. I was amazed how far you can drag a trailer on wet pavement with the wheels locked.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Good god man, clean that chain! :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That trailer seems very short - I wouldn't want to try and back it up, and you'd definitely want to be careful not to jackknife the leading corners of the trailer into bumper on that nice little car. Does the trailer have any sort of suspension, btw?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts