StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I started riding the wee I really enjoy modifying the bike based on function instead of aesthetics. Not knocking the cruiser world, I still have one and appreciate a well turned out bike. It's nice being able to put hi-vis yellow bags on or suitcase sized bags on the rear and appreciate the look. Long live form following function.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Not knocking the cruiser world, I still have one and appreciate a well turned out bike.
Now you have one to wash and one to ride.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't miss polishing chrome and the Valkyrie stays clean for weeks at a time.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I don't miss polishing chrome and the Valkyrie stays clean for weeks at a time.
I'd imagine it can't help but stay clean with a new bike in the garage. Especially one that demands little more than to be ridden.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since I started riding the wee I really enjoy modifying the bike based on function instead of aesthetics. Not knocking the cruiser world, I still have one and appreciate a well turned out bike. It's nice being able to put hi-vis yellow bags on or suitcase sized bags on the rear and appreciate the look. Long live form following function.
I was just recently having the same thought. While I always wanted to keep the Shadow very clean looking (both dirt wise and farkle wise), it is nice to have switched to a bike where the more you add, the cooler it looks (both dirt wise and farkle wise).

·
Registered
944 Posts
Not to mention that you don't have to slow to a crawl on railroad tracks, etc. :thumbup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And riding through the yard (grass) isn't a white knuckle experience!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have heard comments from those that value Form over Function because the E41 Givi side cases make the DL650 look like it is "pregnant". I think they do too but do not mind, since I have also heard more compliments from practical folks on how convenient they are.
It's an "everyday" mode of transportation and has to be functional. I think it has its own charm in its form.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I have heard comments from those that value Form over Function because the E41 Givi side cases make the DL650 look like it is "pregnant". I think they do too but do not mind, since I have also heard more compliments from practical folks on how convenient they are.
It's an "everyday" mode of transportation and has to be functional. I think it has its own charm in its form.
As a person who has been surrounded all his life by the Harleygencia, I offer the following observations:

The character and background of the person making a compliment or criticizm about your bike must be taken into account.

You ever notice that they call it the Harley Owner's Group? The word "Rider" is conspicuous in its absence.

If any Fetish Pirate with leather saddlebags ever comments on your Givi's, just ask him how many tampons he keeps in his "cowhide purses".

When they start chasing you, find the roughest, twistiest and steepest road you can.

That is why Cruisers are so popular along the coast.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
If any Fetish Pirate with leather saddlebags ever comments on your Givi's, just ask him how many tampons he keeps in his "cowhide purses". When they start chasing you, find the roughest, twistiest and steepest road you can.
Nice :thumbup:. Good to see your mishap hasn't effected your sense of humor. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like my Valkyrie too. Smooth doesn't cover it. And it's a great alternative to all the V twin cruisers out there. But most of my riding is solo and for that it's a lot of bike. The wee really fits my needs for a commuter and touring bike much better. It has all the attributes of a loyal dog. Adventure touring bikes get lots of "I don't get it" stares here in Ohio.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't agree more. I tried explaining this to a friend. He didn't understand until I rode away while he was still polishing.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have a cruiser, it's a honda valkyrie.

Cruisers have their place.

For instance, between where I live and the Rockies.

My cruiser rules above constant 65 mph, can't say for the others.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Nice :thumbup:. Good to see your mishap hasn't effected your sense of humor. :mrgreen:
I'm just recycling stuff at the moment.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Cruisers have their place.

For instance, between the lawnmower and snowblower.
Mr. 'Zart,

Fixed your post for you.

The Valkarie,.... Valcarre.........Vaicir............Your Honda is not the typical cruiser. I've never ridden one and I welcome the opportunity to ride any motorcycle I haven't before, an open-minded outlook most of my Cowhide Swashbuckler kith and kin cannot comprehend.

I've ridden a number of Harleys in a variety of situations. Their touring bikes are competent on the open road and would be my preferred two-up Interstate touring bike. Except, when I take long moto trips, I ride solo and eschew the Interstate System for back roads.

As far as the route to the Rockies from Arkansas, the question for me would be: How fast can I comfortably get though west Texas?

I do not wish to demean the fine people of West Texas with my post. They are a proud, hardy people indeed and have suffered enough without my smarmy, snarky comments which admittedly aim fairly low for their arguably humerous impact. Any comments, corrections, querys and criticism should be directed to the Central Scrutinizer.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Mr. 'Zart,

Fixed your post for you.
Close, mine stays parked 'tween the lawn mower and weed eater.

As many times as I've been across west TX on a motorcycle, it's never been comfortable - something to do with the 30-50 mph gusty side winds constantly hammer'n my noggin for ~400 miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Close, mine stays parked 'tween the lawn mower and weed eater.

As many times as I've been across west TX on a motorcycle, it's never been comfortable - something to do with the 30-50 mph gusty side winds constantly hammer'n my noggin for ~400 miles.
Parked? I'm assuming you park your weedeater, if so, can you ride it too?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ozart, I feel your pain about the cross winds. I'm in the Tx Panhandle and it's a challenge. Calling for 50mph gusts tomorrow...

I have a C90 which handles much better in the cross winds, but I can't stand to ride it anymore after being assimilated into the Wee world.

Nice thing about riding in Tx winds.... is when you get out of em.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts