StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing out the guage faces on my Wee yesterday (now they are within 0.2 MPH within my GPS readings), I was thinking why am I doing this. I first decided to do this after rideing on Rt 50 and also the Washington D.C. beltway. As a law abiding citizens that never exceeds the speed limit :)mrgreen:), I kept wondering why folks were trying to run over me from behind. Traveling at the posted speed according to my speedometer, I was a danger to myself and others on the hiway. I was triggering road rage and other unseemly behavior in others. I believe that this speedometer error is a unnecessary threat to our safety and the safety of others on our hiways. Anyone else interested in posting an issue with the Govt to get this problem with our guages corrected. I also do not like the fact that someone else has decided to make parental type decisions about my speed. If we have a speedometer it should be accurate, just as a tach, neutral light, etc should be. Just my rant about someone else making decisions and attempting to exert control over me. Other than this patronizing issue the clutch switch, starter switch/headlight issue, suspension and electrical output of stator and V/R, I am very happy with my Wee.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Where would you like it to be accurate? On straight sections of a road or in a curve? You can't have both because a motorcycle leans over on the sides of the tires in a curve and that changes the radius of the tire/wheel combination, which changes the rotational speed, which causes the speedometer to read differently. So you pick it. Where would you prefer it to read properly?

Oh, and keep in mind that some governments mandate that speedometers cannot read any percentage low however they can read a certain percentage high.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I first decided to do this after rideing on Rt 50 and also the Washington D.C. beltway. As a law abiding citizens that never exceeds the speed limit :)mrgreen:), I kept wondering why folks were trying to run over me from behind. Traveling at the posted speed according to my speedometer, I was a danger to myself and others on the hiway. I was triggering road rage and other unseemly behavior in others. I believe that this speedometer error is a unnecessary threat to our safety and the safety of others on our hiways.
I also think an accurate speedometer is nice to have, but I take all of them with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, the most accurate seedometer in the world will not change the way everyone else drives. Does it really matter if the accuracy of your speedometer is +-.01% when the person in the _________ (you fill in the blank) runs you over from behind because they are too busy texting on their cell phone? I think most people drive with the flow of traffic, regardless what the posted speed limit is.

·
Administrator
13,666 Posts
I also think an accurate speedometer is nice to have, but I take all of them with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, the most accurate seedometer in the world will not change the way everyone else drives. Does it really matter if the accuracy of your speedometer is +-.01% when the person in the _________ (you fill in the blank) runs you over from behind because they are too busy texting on their cell phone? I think most people drive with the flow of traffic, regardless what the posted speed limit is.
I agree with you about getting run over and driving at the speed of trafic, but for the sake of avoiding tickets I always want to know what the correct speed is. I have never understood why people would want otherwise.

Why should a measuring device of any sort read other than the correct reading? I understand there will be little variances in speediomters due to tire wear, tire pressure, load on the vehicle, etc, but any device that measures anything should be reasonably accurate.

..Tom

·
Registered
199 Posts
snip...
Why should a measuring device of any sort read other than the correct reading? I understand there will be little variances in speediomters due to tire wear, tire pressure, load on the vehicle, etc, but any device that measures anything should be reasonably accurate.

..Tom
Excluding the fuel gauge, of course. :green_lol:

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
After changing out the guage faces on my Wee yesterday (now they are within 0.2 MPH within my GPS readings), I was thinking why am I doing this. I first decided to do this after rideing on Rt 50 and also the Washington D.C. beltway. As a law abiding citizens that never exceeds the speed limit :)mrgreen:), I kept wondering why folks were trying to run over me from behind. Traveling at the posted speed according to my speedometer, I was a danger to myself and others on the hiway. I was triggering road rage and other unseemly behavior in others. I believe that this speedometer error is a unnecessary threat to our safety and the safety of others on our hiways. Anyone else interested in posting an issue with the Govt to get this problem with our guages corrected. I also do not like the fact that someone else has decided to make parental type decisions about my speed. If we have a speedometer it should be accurate, just as a tach, neutral light, etc should be. Just my rant about someone else making decisions and attempting to exert control over me. Other than this patronizing issue the clutch switch, starter switch/headlight issue, suspension and electrical output of stator and V/R, I am very happy with my Wee.
Back when the 85mph speedos were mandated there was (I'm 98% sure) an accuracy clause in that law. After the repeal, auto speedometers have largely stayed accurate, bike ones have not.
Really don't see the need for a law or reg though. The first thing I do with any vehicle is figure out how far off the speedometer is, and then just adjust as I'm riding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most country's have a spec that says the speed can only read fast and not slow. Therefore they must error on the fast side.

Back when I was developing motorcycle tires, the error at high speeds was huge. One Suzuki I was doing high speed testing on was off by almost 40 mph. It read 225mph while at 186mph.

With the improvement in gauge accuracy and speed measurement, the auto industry has been able to tighten up the speedo error, but I think it will be a while before motorcycle company's do the same. Although with more bike having ABS, it could be sooner than later.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rgarding the above issues of the ability to make accurate speedos, the new guage face is only 0.2 MPH of in the range from 25 to 65 MPH according to my GPS so I think it can be done. By the way the speedo is still registering high by 0.2 MPH. The fellow that redid the faces got it right, so could father suzuki if they wanted to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts