StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as mentioned in another section, my rear tourance is finished (19 000km later)

question is , do I put another tourance on, or go something more street? I only do forest roads once in a while, most of my riding is road.

any suggestions? Im mostly looking for long use over high performance

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
Doesnt matter what we think, what do you think? There is also already a vast amount of tire information threads to keep you busy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a set of Anakee 2s on my bike that are pretty well shot on my 2002 after 8400 miles. I just got a set of PR3s that I'm gonna mount this week, hope they last longer.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I keep coming back to the older Tourance tyres for my bikes (not the new EXP version).

They seem to give the best all-round grip for wet/dry and dirt while also giving the best mileage wear of anything I've tried to date.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think you can beat the Tourance (nonEXP) for durability, pavement grip and wet conditions. I feel more planted in the rain on my DL1000 with these tires than any other bike/tire combination I have ever tried. They are just okay for hard pack and tight gravel and totally suck in mud. That's my opinion after 10K miles on current set.

·
Registered
40 Posts
conti

right now I'm on my second set of Tourance(right now EXP) before those I had a set of Conti RoadAttack, they were frighteningly grippy, wet or dry and you only had to think about turning and you were doing it, only drawback, gone in 9000km almost half of what I'm getting with the Tourance, so something to think about.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Tourances perform poorly on the pavement compared to the 100% street tires I've run, especially at 70+mph speeds.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Doesnt matter what we think, what do you think?
Actually it does matter. The OP is asking for forum. I'm interested in the answer as well. I always run Tourance and get about 9-10,000 miles out of them. Off road to my Strom is gravel, so I could go with a street tire with No problem IF I thought it would go a few 1,000 miles father.

But even if I look at the street tire mileage numbers I don't see things much tire than what I get off the Tourance, so i always stay with the Tourance. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. One thing I really like about the Tourance is that thread goes across the center of the tire making it easy to gauge wear.

Does anyone have any real life comparison that show a street tire giving them greater wear under the same (simialar) riding conditions?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Does anyone have any real life comparison that show a street tire giving them greater wear under the same (simialar) riding conditions?
The street tires I've run (BT021 & 023) wear slightly faster than tourances.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have been running bt 023 if I extrapolate I do think I will get better life than the Anakee2's

I am hard on tires

·
Registered
944 Posts
He said 'extrapolate'.....WaaaaaaY kool! Anyway, my used '06 Wee came with Tourance tires front and aft and I really can't complain about them. They appear to be a decent compromise between mostly onroad use with the occasional gravel road ride. Now that the Tourances are nearing the end of usefulness, I've decided to replace them with Michelin Pilot 3's which are pavement tires since I avoid offroad with my Wee. Hey, I have a dirt bike for that. I've lately aimed my attention toward getting the Wee's suspension where I want it and have succeeded to a degree. The Wee is notoriously under-suspended at both ends with springs aimed at a rider of about 150lbs. There are several aftermarket suspension improvements available for the Wee....everything from stiffer springs to kits that address the springs PLUS the dampening inadequacies. Ricor offers a kit that changes the front forks to a cartridge style dampening vs the stock dinosaur rod style. Do your homework and search for what is available for the Wee and you can substantially improve your bike's handling.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Looks like the Pilot 3's are a no-go as it appears that they won't be available for a few weeks so am going with Pirelli Scorpion Trail.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
I got about 10,000 miles out of my Battlewings - rode em on dirt roads too.....great handling tire up til the last 1000-2000 miles til where it gets squared off a bit - then, it's just like any other squared off meat. Your only problem is what to decide to do with the extra $100 you didn't spend on the Tourances....

If I were only accessing dirt roads occasionally, I'd probably just get a street tire - those Pilot 3's seem to be the best tire out there right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Metzeler ME 880

I run Metzeler ME 880s on my 1000. It's a 'cruiser' tire but they have performed well for me. The rock-hard center lasts 10-15K miles depending on braking and throttle inputs and the squishy sides result in more confidence in the twisties. They suck on dirt and mud but for gravel they are all right.

I run:
F: 120/70-19
R: 160/70-17

Bigger than stock Trailwings but you can jam a lot of tire between the swingarms on a V.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I run Metzeler ME 880s on my 1000. It's a 'cruiser' tire but they have performed well for me. The rock-hard center lasts 10-15K miles depending on braking and throttle inputs and the squishy sides result in more confidence in the twisties. They suck on dirt and mud but for gravel they are all right.

I run:
F: 120/70-19
R: 160/70-17

Bigger than stock Trailwings but you can jam a lot of tire between the swingarms on a V.
You sure can,I ran a 205/55-17 car tire on my Vee for awhile and cleared everything just fine !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts