StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a ride up to the Marjorie Kinan Rawlings home place between Hawthorne and Orange Lake. Possibly with a stop for lunch at the Yearling at cross Creek? Curt

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Hey Curt. I'm up for this.
Greg, how many miles do you have racked up on your bike?

Your signature map looks SO colorful!!!

Well done, sir!!!

B.L.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Greg, how many miles do you have racked up on your bike?

Your signature map looks SO colorful!!!

Well done, sir!!!

B.L.
Thanks Black Lab. That means a lot coming from an experienced rider like you. The bike only has 55k. I bought it new in '06. Even though I ride almost everyday work is less than 5 miles away. The Strom has done two Mexico trips, the Yucatan and Colonial Mexico. I've also had a very unreliable R1150GS during that time which is now gone.

All the places on the map were done in the last 12 years or so. I plan on going to Panama this summer. You're welcome to come along or come to Florida and go on Curt's ride.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Me too, in spades. Then a coupla puzzles.

Black Lab always has a welcome from me.
Like him, I am impressed by pinkman's extensive travels.

But this is about Curtis' ride. I hope I can attend, but February is a month full of unknowns for me. For instance, I need to get my chopper repaired ... no, not THAT kind of chopper! One of my teeth threatens imminent treachery, so I will be devoting a day to its rehabilitation.

pinkman, a friend proposed a puzzle based on 2011, and it is this:

Solve for x and y, to several decimal places:
x*x - y = 2011
x * y = 2011

Pretty soon, this turns into a cubic equation in x. I was amazed to learn that there is a formula, similar to the quadratic formula, for cubics, except it is a yard long and frequently has imaginary values that do or do not cancel out.

I wrote a brief Applesoft BASIC program that solved the problem to about six decimal places. But that was not enough, so I found a 1401 simulator, and I wrote an Autocoder program that solved for x to over 40 decimals. I plan to extend the accuracy about 100-fold when I am short of things to do. As it turns out, a 1401, IBM's wonder machine of the early 1960s, is great for such applications, because a "word" can be thousands of bytes long if you want it to.

Short of things to do, I said. That was the funny part. :yesnod:

Keith

P.S. I offered another 2011 riddle to my 1959 classmates, and indeed
one of them solved it. Find three positive integers a < b < c such that:
a*a + b*b + c*c = 2011
a*b + b*c + c*a = 1959

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Where is everyone?

Where did everyone go?

I will be busy all day Sunday February 27,
but if a ride is scheduled for another day soon,
I will probably participate.

Keith

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next ride

I think that it is do able. I just need to know what date is best for every one. How about Sat, Mar5 or Sun Mar 6? Curt

·
Registered
124 Posts
would you all like to ride around horse country while you're up here? I'd be happy to show you a number of roads if so.

Roy

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roy, Meet us at the Yearling. We are planning a short hop over to the Rawlings State Park, but that will only take 30 minutes to an hour. I used to live in Ocala and am familiar with horse country but the others are not as familiar with the area. As of now Pinkman, Ironmorph and I are coming it isnt growing as the Dam Diner trip a year ago that I missed, Curt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts