StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to it? or even a mod? I was thinking if I could see that the signal was on more clearly (or hear it), I would turn it off. Any tips? ....besides just being more aware?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Is there a trick to it? or even a mod? I was thinking if I could see that the signal was on more clearly (or hear it), I would turn it off. Any tips? ....besides just being more aware?
It is a mental thing. Make the turnoff a part of the signaling action. Leave your finger on the turn switch until after the turn and then push it off. Mentally train yourself that every time you turn on the signal you also need to turn it off. After the turn train yourself to look at the turn indicators. Are they Off? Yes I know, it is hard to do, but with enough practice it will become a natural action 95% of the time. Or you could hook up a loud 12 volt buzzer to the circuit.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Also make checking the instruments a regular part of riding. You don't want to miss an oil pressure warning for long but that's rare. You need to know other things too.

You signal before each turn and cancel after each turn. Some people like to hit the cancel switch regularly.

·
Registered
740 Posts
For lane changes: Keep thumb on signal button and push to cancel when the maneuver is completed.

For turns: Habitually cancel the signal near end of turn (at steady velocity), before accelerating out of it.

Rationale: For lane changes, little mental space or control manipulation is needed, so dedicating "thumb on button until cancel" uses only easily spared resources. For turns, there is no signaling value once the turn is actually commenced, and mid-turn is when no gear changing is needed, so incorporating the cancel into the turn routine then is easy and unlikely to be disrupted by the situations that may follow.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great tips guys! I do check my instruments often but unfortunately lots of time its too late when I realize "Dang, my signal was on!"...I will try to habit of cancelling as soon as the turn is commenced and keeping my thumb there until I cancel.

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
I paid big bucks for a BMW that had self canceling indicators, hated them. They would time out and I had to repeatedly initiate again.
I find myself just pushing the turn button now to be sure I don't have the indicators going. Just a habit thing now.
My '78 R80 BMW had a horrible beeper that squawked the whole time the blinkers were going. Didn't take long to find that plug and pull it!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I randomly hit cancel when riding. Give it enough time and you will just do it without forgetting, it'll eventually become such second nature you won't even remember canceling them.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I find myself just pushing the turn button now to be sure I don't have the indicators going. Just a habit thing now.

Interesting that you say that. When I got the vstrom, I hated that it didn't have self cancelling turn signals. Now I find myself, on my RSTD, which does have them, cancelling them with the button.
How easily we get trained.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I drove big trucks for six years (2005-2011), and all the ones I drove did not have self-cancelling signals. I learned to cancel. Quickly! You need to learn, that's all - it's a mental thing until you finally cancel by habit.

Yes it does happen, not often thankfully, that I leave the turn signals on. So like GW said, look at your dash gauges and lights more than just occasionally.

My brother drives me nuts when I ride with him. He'll leave his turn signals on often, and for great distances. "Lah di dah, out for a ride, hum de hum de ho, what a nice day ..." (not sure what's going on in there, but he seems happy; and he has only rarely scared me. I keep my distance, though.)

Which leads us to your mention of "...just being more aware?". Good point. That's got to be helpful, and for much more than cancelling signal lights. One thing my truck driving taught me is to make awareness part of my riding and driving. Awareness is part of developing skill, part of the fun, and just maybe, part of staying alive. Make it part of the whole experience; part of watching for moose and drunks and rainbows and of smelling the road-side stream and the stand of pines and the abattoir.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I press the button every time after I've cleared an intersection, changed lanes or used the clutch. I've done it so often for so long now that I'll find myself doing it without even thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
50+ years still can't always remember.
Best practice have a pair of comm units and your son behind you to nag. :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
Leaving your turn signal on is very dangerous and it will be your fault if a car pulls out in front of you. For that reason I don't take the chance that I will be distracted by something and forget to cancel my signal. I install a turn signal beeper on every bike I've owned. Very simple and cheap to make from Radio Shack parts. I can hear it through my helmet but just enough to get my attention. With the visor up it is louder but not irritating and with the helmet off its pretty loud. I can't hear it at highway speeds but as soon as I start to slow down on an exit ramp I start to hear it. It's funny to watch all the people at an intersection start looking around to see where the beeping is coming from and I think that is a very good thing. Makes them aware something out of the ordinary is going on at the light and usually they will eventually focus in on me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What, you can cancel the turn signal by just pushing the button, and not pushing it the other way, and sometimes pushing it too far and the other side starts flashing, damn, who knew? Not me, obviously.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That's a lot of money for that smart turn system.

Personally it's too rich for my taste.

I always have problems at the beginning of my riding season, but soon after I mentally berate myself enough times shutting the signal becomes habit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Learn by rote where the switch is and how to cancel it. ALWAYS turn your head to check for traffic passing on either side of you, do this even if you constantly check your mirrors. I got in the habit many many many years ago of going through the canceling motion as I ride with no intent to turn. Practice makes perfect and eventually becomes unconscious habit, but that can bite you in the butt too, so be cautious there. Good luck, Ride Safely!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1 push it a lot when riding
Have fun w it; make pretend it fires rockets or machine guns or laser beams and you'll be pressing it A LOT more

·
Registered
859 Posts
Great tips guys! I do check my instruments often but unfortunately lots of time its too late when I realize "Dang, my signal was on!"...I will try to habit of cancelling as soon as the turn is commenced and keeping my thumb there until I cancel.
Just remember that signal could get you killed if somebody thinks it's safe to pull out in front of you.
That's the thought I hold to when signalling. A little paranoia can be useful.
As stated the best way to ingrain the habit is to keep you thumb on it and cancel as soon as possible just to reinforce the two actions together.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts