StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just quoted $8,845 out the door + tax,title for a 2012 ABS 650 Adventure. Only catch is the dealer doesn't have any but is expecting 3 Adv. models within 3 weeks. I will get first dibs on the first one delivered.

I can't find one near me in Richmond, VA. I'll have to drive a few hours. No big deal. I'm excited. I've been away from motorcycles for 30 years but I've been on a few bikes recently including the GS1200, KTM 990, V-strom 1000. I've got the bug bad and I want to start with a medium sized bike. Doubtful I'll be doing any amount of two up, so I think the wee will suit me just fine. BTY I'm 5'10 and 205 lbs. I think the stock seat height feels OK but as I said I'm a long time away from any meaningful experience.

I like the black paint better than the orange and I think the bags on the Adv. look fine in the pictures. I haven't seen them in person. I guess I kinda want the "package" of the Adv. as opposed to doing it ala carte. Who makes the OEM bags for the Adv? Are they of good quality?

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
I just got back from comparing the 2 versions at the local dealer. The Adv was sold but had the bags mounted. Black is really beautiful, man. Like the '04 I have. It has an MRA vario looking windshield which I really liked on mine.
The suspension seems a lot more taut than mine with 32K miles.
Only a test ride would really tell the differences between the old/new model but we don't get that here.
Over all I think the new Wee has good styling and the faux carbon fiber appearance of the plastic features isn't bad.
The ADV bags do make the bike wide though. They do appear to be stoutly made and functional. The crash bars look like the average good aftermarket offerings. They may have sourced them?
Personally I prefer the Black to the Orange.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sweet. I'm an ex-GS12 rider as well. The lower height, less weight, less maintenance and more planted feeling did it for me.

FYI and not to dissuade you: I looked the bike over inside a dealership. Glossy black without being overbearing - overall pretty nice. Once outside where the sun hit it, I noticed the paint finish has a mild "sparkle."

Not a deal breaker, but it wasn't noticeable while in doors. Least not to me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is my first post and a noob to the bike as well. I am currently riding a Kawasaki ZRX 1200 that I bought back in 2001 and just for fun a little KLR 250.

Judging from the price you were quoted I would say you were looking at Romney in WV. They got 3 Adv's in this week and I am happy to say I got the last one of those. I am going up to pick the bike up on Friday.

This is a leap of faith for me. I have never even seen the Adv in person and have a grand total of 20 miles on a DL 650. But the bike just felt right. I was ready to buy the orange standard bike when the salesman said he had 1 Adv to sell and I just decided to take it. With the 0% financing and 8845 OTD less TTL I dont see how I can go wrong. 150 bucks a month and dirt cheap insurance.

I see you are in Richmond. I am actually meeting a friend at my Richmond office Friday for the ride to WV and my first time on the bike will be a 300 mile ride back to VB. I will be stopping in Richmond on the way back so if you are interested in seeing one up close let me know maybe you could meet us to take a look when we get in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the local dealer has one for me and Romney didn't so I'm going to pay more to get it from the local dealer next week which is really close to my home. If you get this message in time by all means I would like to see your bike if you stop in Richmond. My cell is eight 0 four-three six three nine 0 eight one. I am a pilot too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts