StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
Gonna play the newbie card ...hand wash or power wash? Is it safe to power wash a V-Strom?

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use a powerwasher on wide fan (low pressure) to wash off the grime, then handwash with Meguiars Car wash and then powerwash off the soap, using wide fan setting. I do tighten up the fan (higher pressure) when washing the rims and under the mudguards. I then use a leaf blower to remove the water.
Been using thus method for years, first on my BMW RT and now on the Wee.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can use a powerwasher but just need to be careful. The key area to avoid is blasting the under carriage where the swingarm, shock, dog-bones, cushion lever all connect (see attached pic). These linkages have bushings and roller bearings that are not sealed and are a problem for riders who regularly cross creeks/water let alone 100PSI blast of water. Once water gets in they will rust and there are no Zerk fittings to lube the bearings and drive the water out. Also, probably a good idea to avoid the wheel bearings (only sealed on the outside on the OEM bearings) and misc electrical connectors (doh!) and you should be fine.

·
Registered
14,835 Posts
Washing is very infrequent since the nice bike I bought has turned to rat bike at 100K miles. I occasionally spray an engine cleaner on it and just use the garden hose. No need to pressure wash, too many sensitive things.
The less you get excited the better off you will be.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
We are supposed to wash Vstroms?
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geez... these are awesome! Better than some stand-up comics I've seen :ROFLMAO: ... but the advise is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
519 Posts
The only things I wash are the covers for the lights. Spray them with Muc-Off, wait a few minutes, wipe, done.

I guess if I wanted to spend more time cleaning and less time riding the bike, I could use it on the whole bike as well.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Only to get a higher price when selling...
SELL, another term I dont know :p
Wife says it and I dont understand, must be why I have 3 Vstroms in the garage now :p
Mike

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oem unsealed bearings and electrical connectors are susceptible to corrosion damage from pressure washers. I use Wd40, 303, and paper towels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I don't ever use a power washer on anything except my house. Even then I am careful around the windows and caulk.

For asking that question you should power wash your bare foot and see how your bike feels.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Just be aware that if you live in Washington State, and you let your wash water go down the storm drain, you'll kill ALL MARINE LIFE IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN, 99.7% of the birds, most of the people who live on the Pacific Islands, and any space aliens who visit for the next three hundred years. Or that's what they think. A dirty bike (like mine) is an environmentally correct bike.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Just be aware that if you live in Washington State, and you let your wash water go down the storm drain, you'll kill ALL MARINE LIFE IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN, 99.7% of the birds, most of the people who live on the Pacific Islands, and any space aliens who visit for the next three hundred years. Or that's what they think. A dirty bike (like mine) is an environmentally correct bike.

Greta would be proud!

·
Registered
130 Posts
These linkages have bushings and roller bearings that are not sealed and are a problem for riders who regularly cross creeks/water let alone 100PSI blast of water.
So is there any way to clean them out at all. Yesterday I tried some off road, I came up to a short bit of water that for some reason I assumed was a few inches deep. It turned out deep enough that the tires were completely underwater.😳

·
Registered
905 Posts
So is there any way to clean them out at all. Yesterday I tried some off road, I came up to a short bit of water that for some reason I assumed was a few inches deep. It turned out deep enough that the tires were completely underwater.😳
😁 You mean the BOTTOMS of the tires were under water or were you in it up to your ass???

·
Registered
879 Posts
So is there any way to clean them out at all. Yesterday I tried some off road, I came up to a short bit of water that for some reason I assumed was a few inches deep. It turned out deep enough that the tires were completely underwater.
Most riders want to use a powerwasher because it gets pretty grungy under there with grease/oil and dirt (if you off-road). A regular garden hose and a scrub brush can get the dirt off but it takes kerosene with rags and a toothbrush to get the grease out. It takes a lot elbow grease too which is why people want to use a powerwasher to speed things up.

I don't off-road and have never ridden through any thing deeper than a puddle on the road. That said, I don't think an occasional ride through water will damage it too much. If you are talking about just the tires (5-6 inches of water) being covered I don't think that would do any damage. If the water was deep enough to splash the hubs you might want to blast the inside the hub casting with compressed air to get all the water out (you don't have to remove the wheel, there are holes). I read that the original OEM F/R wheel bearings are only sealed on the outside so if water gets inside the hub then the bearings can start to rust. Most riders who off road and see a lot of water will replace the OEM bearings with aftermarket bearings that are doubled sealed and can go 80K miles. The rear hub also has the carriage bearing and, at least on the Gen1, is open ball bearings so if you do a lot of creek riding that should be greased regularly.

There is no fix for the under carriage bearings and they just have to be dismantled and greased regularly to avoid rusting out if they see a lot of water. Also, riders who have done this report that Suzuki uses only a tiny amount of grease on these bearings from the factory so riders tear it all down and repack with lots of Bel-Rays Waterproof Grease and it seems to help a lot. Even though my bike is a street bike I am planning on doing this once my original chain wears out. I already have the tools to pull the swingarm and so I can put on a new continuous OEM chain (i.e. no master link) and take the opportunity regrease everything with Bel-Rays and never touch it again (since I don't off-road its not necessary but once).

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't was my bike very often. Maybe once a year on average. I generally just go to a car wash and use the wand. I don't get very aggressive then I ride the bike home to blow the water off. This may not me right, but I have not noticed any damage yet.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts