StromTrooper banner

Newbie report '05 650

1216 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  PTRider

Turning 50 this summer. I have been and off-road rider/racing all my life, adding Dual Sport riding on KTM's (EXC, XCFW, and so on). Knobbies on the road. So after a lot of research (folks like you all) I bought a Strom. I have had it 3 weeks and have taken 2 450-500 mile trips, as well as local riding.
-LOVE the bike, able to feel comfortable quickly
-handles great
-all the power I want, and rolls on nicely
-suspension seems plush but solid
-gas mileage insane
-headlights great,
-EVERYTHING you Stromtroopers claim about these bikes, good and bad is spot on

-Seat SUCKS I am more comfortable on my KTM brick seat in a 2 hour harescramble than I am on the Strom.
-Front end can get head shake if I let go of the bars, only sometimes. (I run a GPR off road, and I don't know if a bike with a faring etc is going to get wobbly by nature)
-Do the bikes not like downshifting? Is that common knowledge with street bikes? It has a lot of engine braking anyway, so I have found that 6to 5 is fine, but it does not like to drop into 4th when coming to a rolling stop..no big deal, just trying to learn.

Thanks for the info you guys have shared, very useful. Call me a Stromtrooper 'cause I'm hooked.

BTW, the picture was taken by my phone Tuesday night at Willville Campground in VA. AWESOME motorcycle omnly campground. Stumbled on it by virtue of very little planning. Hell yes.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Newbie, I have a new wee and do not have the front end shakes you describe. Might check the front tire for cupping? Agree on the seat...I rode an st1300 this weekend with a Russell day-long and loved it. Think I will go that direction.

Have found all the rest of the positives you described...it is a great bike and fits me and my style perfectly. Happy trails to you!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happy trails to you as well, hope the seat works for you. I just read the entire thread on seats....if you have not you should know a few things
-the gel seat is taller (taller people like it, shorter not so muchO)
-the Sargent is same height, generally well liked but some problems
-the sheepskin is liked by all
-the stocker is junk
-good marks for the Corbin
-great regards for all of the very expensive custom built seats

· Registered
524 Posts
-Do the bikes not like downshifting? Is that common knowledge with street bikes? It has a lot of engine braking anyway, so I have found that 6to 5 is fine, but it does not like to drop into 4th when coming to a rolling stop..no big deal, just trying to learn.

Thanks for the info you guys have shared, very useful. Call me a Stromtrooper 'cause I'm hooked.

BTW, the picture was taken by my phone Tuesday night at Willville Campground in VA. AWESOME motorcycle omnly campground. Stumbled on it by virtue of very little planning. Hell yes.
FWIW, I had to adjust the clutch just a tad on my 2006 DL650. No problem since in last 50,000 miles. Hope this helps.

· Registered
516 Posts
The stock seat sucks yes.
You should have none of the other problems. No head shake & no downshifting problems.
Next post as a question pose these 2 issues & someone will jump in to help.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
I have an '05 I bought new so I have lived with her for awhile now. No head shake! Sounds like you need to double check front tire pressure and wear. My Strom likes her air pressure in the front tire. Learned that the hard way on the first front tire!

No shifting issues. Check the clutch adjustment carefully and change the oil. Mine likes the Rotella and the Castrol SynTech. They both work great.

My seat is not the high point of the bike! Do some research and I am sure you will find the right seat for your butt.

I changed the screen too. I have a Givi and there are several out there people find better than the stock.

Its a great bike. I started riding motorcycles the year you were born. I use to race off road bikes but age changed that! (Last one was a 1986 or so Husky 250WR...the last year they made them in Sweden)

Enjoy the Vstom, its a great bike.

· Registered
33 Posts
Hey thats great to get 2 decent trips on your wee.

I find the stock seat fine, but I think I may be in a minority of one!

Here is my beast; you obviously have great taste! Glad you like the wee; I am a newbie as well and had mine for one month. Before that I had a Triumph Scrambler 860cc.

Phot is taken on the South Downs Way in West Sussex - on the old Roman Road of Stane Street

Captain Sensible :)

· Registered
689 Posts
Welcome. Headshake on decel around 45/50 seems to be effect some.I did a search found that some folks got the problem fixed by changing front tires or even just adding more air to the front. Wherein Va. is the campground?

· Registered
77 Posts
I had a shifting issue at first and found that the shifter was adjusted too high and I was not fully releasing it unless I lifted my foot off the peg between downshifts.

A quick adjustment with a 10mm wrench solved the problem.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Very loose steering stem bearings might be part of your problem. Mine were less than hand tight. Correctly tightening them made the bike more stable in gusting cross winds. All Balls brand roller bearings are on my to-do list. The steering stem bearings and their lock nut are not a damper, of course, and must not be tightened too much.

Your shifting problem is one of a kind. I hope you find a solution and hope it is an easy one.

That seat is horrid. Not one of Suzuki's better inventions...nor is the windscreen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.