StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to purchase a 2019 650 vstrom ( the loaded version) within two weeks. I've not riddin in 15yrs. Is there some threads for people new to the vstrom platform? I don't know much; so I don't want to waste peoples time with dumb,already answered question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
of course now I realize I posted on the 1000 site, as apposed to the 650 site. Guess that answers why there wasn't a lot of info on the 650.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Total noob here. Just wanted to say I got a good laugh, because like you I am considering a 2019 AND also posted in the 1000 section first too :) Did you end up making the purchase or still looking?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m new to the V-Strm too: I bought it in november 2019, rode about 1000km since and broke my ankle on May 2nd, just when we were allowed to rode again in Belgium ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m new to the V-Strm too: I bought it in november 2019, rode about 1000km since and broke my ankle on May 2nd, just when we were allowed to rode again in Belgium ...
Beautiful bike - there is a lot about this that I want in mine. Did you break the ankle riding?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Beautiful bike - there is a lot about this that I want in mine. Did you break the ankle riding?
No, not in riding, just walking in the field with the dog, and my foot suddenly blocked in a hole ... So less heroïc :cool:, but no damage to the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, not in riding, just walking in the field with the dog, and my foot suddenly blocked in a hole ... So less heroïc :cool:, but no damage to the bike.
1) You need to come up with a much better story about how you broke your ankle 😀.
2) That is a beautiful bike! I wish Suzuki offered that version in the US! Did the engine guards, center stand and skid plate come with it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
1) You need to come up with a much better story about how you broke your ankle 😀.
2) That is a beautiful bike! I wish Suzuki offered that version in the US! Did the engine guards, center stand and skid plate come with it?
2) It’s the Black Edition; it came as in the picture.
1) I know, and I could try to blame my dog I walked with, but she disagrees and I don’t dare to discuss this with her:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dang! I just picked mine up (in Blue) last Friday and I am really jealous of yours! We can't even get the Black edition in the US (or I would have).

I have to add a top-box, center stand and skid plate after market!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never did buy that bike. Dealer went crazy with extra dealer costs at the last minute. So I'm picking up a base 650 next week. I'm hoping the vstrom is a good way to get back into riding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dang! I just picked mine up (in Blue) last Friday and I am really jealous of yours! We can't even get the Black edition in the US (or I would have).

I have to add a top-box, center stand and skid plate after market!
I just bought this last week, I'm in California. Panniers, skid plate and center stand will be added soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Never did buy that bike. Dealer went crazy with extra dealer costs at the last minute. So I'm picking up a base 650 next week. I'm hoping the vstrom is a good way to get back into riding.
I bought a base 2019 650 a month ago and put about 650 miles on it so far. My last ride was 30 years prior to that. I grew up on mini bikes and trail bikes, and had a couple years of street riding as an adult.

I did not intend on buying a vstrom 650 when I went to the dealer but the bike's ergonomics fit me the best. I did some research and bought it the next day.

For me, I stuck to the neighborhood for a couple of days, then ventured out to some parking lots and practiced low speed manuevers and emergency braking. I still make minor errors, not downshifting to 1st at red lights, etc., but the Wee is pretty forgiving. Just keep traction control on, don't speed, don't rush, don't let other vehicles dictate your pace. My longest ride was around 50 miles, 3 weeks after I practiced almost every day.

I took the MSF class, too. Riding in traffic is a whole different game compared to trails and I wanted to get into the defensive riding mindset. In 1 month I've had people cut me off, stop in front of me, almost U-turn into me. It's dangerous out there and you need to have your head in the game.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd go to a MSF course in a second; but as it is, they are shut down till 6/30. My guess is they will book up fast. I'll still take the course; who doesn't like safety? I picked my bike up today. I plan on putting around the neighborhood for a couple of weeks or so. I've taken it out a bit today already. Things have changed in 15-20yrs. They don't have reserve tanks anymore, I guess. Can't find a petcock, guess no choke either. Man! there is a lot going on with the dash. Guess no idiot lights either. Everybody had all these ideas about upgrades, after ten minutes the best upgrade is going to be bigger grips. I quite ridding because I had a couple of fingers re-attached on my left hand. Good news, now I'm right handed and know how the other half live. But whew, those bigger grip slip-ons are going to help out with the arthritis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Things have changed in 15-20yrs.
My last bike, while electric start, also still had a kick starter. Remember those good old days? :)

Grip sleeves work OK, but maybe the cause of your discomfort is elsewhere? I was death-gripping the handlebars when I started riding again, a big no-no, hands and arms should be relaxed...

Also, check out the Harley Davidson New Rider Course, it uses the MSF curriculum and is MSF-approved, is about the same cost, and they were running in May in my state.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd go to a MSF course in a second; but as it is, they are shut down till 6/30. My guess is they will book up fast. I'll still take the course; who doesn't like safety? I picked my bike up today. I plan on putting around the neighborhood for a couple of weeks or so. I've taken it out a bit today already. Things have changed in 15-20yrs. They don't have reserve tanks anymore, I guess. Can't find a petcock, guess no choke either. Man! there is a lot going on with the dash. Guess no idiot lights either. Everybody had all these ideas about upgrades, after ten minutes the best upgrade is going to be bigger grips. I quite ridding because I had a couple of fingers re-attached on my left hand. Good news, now I'm right handed and know how the other half live. But whew, those bigger grip slip-ons are going to help out with the arthritis.
Grip Puppies (on Amazon and there is a separate thread) will solve your problem. Installation takes minutes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts